Virtual Tasting for Charity Week 2 - Empty My Wallet, Help Me Support The Free Wheelchair Mission (11/30 - 12/6))

Thank you in advance for participating in Week 2 of the Wine Berserker series of Virtual Tastings for Charity.

The Charity: This is an amazing charity which provides high quality, durable wheelchairs to disabled people in the third world, so they have an opportunity to see their friends and loved ones, find employment, and meet other basic human needs. Every $96 donated provides a person with a wheelchair like this:

You can read more about the great things they do at their website: https://www.freewheelchairmission.org/ They have provided over a million wheelchairs to date.

The Donation: I will donate $5 per tasting note, and $10 per tasting note which includes a photo of the taster and the bottle (not just one or the other). The commitment applies to bottles opened and tasted between Wednesday November 30 and Tuesday December 6. I would love it very much if anyone else wanted to volunteer to match, or make any other donation in any form they want.

The Tasting: The theme is Open Your Worst Bottle. We all have those wines lying around that we know or suspect are going to be terrible. Maybe your uncle brought it to Thanksgiving dinner, maybe your neighbor gave it to you last Christmas, maybe you bought it as a joke because of the name or the label, maybe it’s something from a bygone era of your tastes that you found left over in the back of your cellar, maybe it’s the last of a case of whites where the others have all been oxidized. Well, it’s time to clear out the space and open that bottle with your friends. If you want to open your second, third etc. worst bottles, you may make multiple entries.

(No judgment about what you consider your worst, as long as you’re using good faith – if you hate Burgundy and a lone bottle of Premiere Cru is in your cellar, or you hate Napa cab and you have a $100 bottle sitting around, and you want to dispense with it, that’s perfectly fine.)

The Tasting Notes: Remember you need to post some sort of descriptive tasting note. We want the gory details. If there is a funny story about how you ended up with or discovered this bottle, please share that, too. And if you have an open mind and you’re surprised that it’s actually decent or even good, tell us about that as well. I hope there might be a few pleasant surprises documented in the thread.

Thank you in advance for your support, your friendship, and your sense of humor.

6 Likes

I’ll give you a preview of what my first bottle will be.

I helped my dad get around an American Chemical Society conference in San Diego several years ago, and one time I drove him and a few colleagues to dinner, and someone left this bottle (probably a freebie from the conference) in my car. So I have lovingly stored it on the floor of my office for this very day.

Horton actually makes some pretty darned good wines - don’t be surprised if it does not suck, my friend . . .

Cheers

2 Likes

Time to go looking through our cooking wine…

I have a 750 of 1959 Cristal that leaks, is cloudy, and has particulate matter floating in it. I’ve been wondering what to do with such a bottle. I’m not sure I want to taste it. Maybe I’ll find something safer.

1 Like

In reflecting on my original post, I want to add this:

The goal is to have some fun and to raise some money for a good cause. I might have overstated the extent to which you have to have some laugher or outlier of a wine to open? Just open something you want to get rid of or aren’t expecting to like and share a note.

Thanks.

3 Likes

I’ve got a couple of host gifts to pop tomorrow.

2 Likes

So my wife pops in one day and says, “Hey! My high school friend and husband are now making wine. Let’s buy some.” So of course I ask, “Where from? What vineyards? Their estate? Who is the winemaker? Are they making the wine themselves?” Anyway…

So yeah, wine from California. Something they are having made for them from various sources, and various varietals. So my expectation is generic wine. Actually, I have been pleasantly surprised. Pretty solid stuff. I actually like this bottle - very pleasing.

2017 Langman Estate, Cabernet Sauvignon, Joseph’s, Sierra Foothills (14.7%)
Popped-and-poured from the cellar. No specific aromatics. Very smooth, subtle. Nice blackberry fruit, some violet. Maybe some dark cherry and chocolate. Some spice. Not overly tannic, a fine texture. Some oak, but definitely not over oaked. Paired nicely with some pulled-pork BBQ. Bottle remained consistent for the whole two hours we spent drinking it. I enjoyed the bottle and would drink more of it.

3 Likes

A day early but I’ll accept it. Thanks for getting us rolling.

Oops :grimacing:

Let’s pop some Caymus.

• 2020 Apothic Winemaker's Blend - USA, California (11/29/2022)
    PnP. Nice legs! Really coats the glass. Initial nose is plastic like new toys. Who doesn't love new toys? Not quite as fresh as the new car smell, unfortunately.

Palate is watery, completely unlike the viscosity in the glass. It's disjointed, overly sweet and seems to be a created drink rather than naturally produced, almost soft drink like. Then you are left with a bitter finish that lingers for minutes.
2 Likes

You’ll need to open it by Sunday so you have time to get to Day 3 before the week ends.

3 Likes

Quick clarification: does any type of fruit wine count, or just wine from grapes? No worries if it’s only grape wines… I already have a lineup of duds (and suspected duds) ready to open! :joy:

I have some cherry wine

1 Like

If you perceive it in the way that suits the spirit of this thread, I’ll accept some “other fruit” wine too.

1 Like

Spectacular idea, Cyber-Chris!! Love it!

I’ll see what I can dig up, this should be fun.

This was a gift from Todd French which I’ve had in the garage for a year. LOL

2 Likes

That’s a good question!

1 Like

I’m nothing if not insanely generous with my gifting, apparently - in the garage, lolol

1 Like