When guests bring bad wine

Interesting, I have only seen NV Meomi recently when I scan my local grocery store for the rare good wine/good value. I wonder why they would revert back to bottling under a specific vintage when they can successfully charge a premium for a ‘timeless’ and ‘placeless’ wine. They are clearly manufacturing to recipe, vintage will only complicate their process.

2 Likes

Agreed. AND it is very rare that people bring me wine because they know that I can be counted on to serve plenty of wine. I generally tell people that I have a buying problem and they need to help me solve that problem by drinking what I already have so I am net minus for the night. AND then there are the Berserkerfests where some people insist on bringing me Loire Chenin Blanc. They just do not get invited back. :slight_smile:

Recently, I informed guests that they are not allowed to bring wine, since my cellar is way over capacity and even said something like"You will not be allowed in my house, if you come with wine". It appears to have worked so far

1 Like

My approach is different from many above.

Unfortunately, with wine, most non geeks do not know the custom of if it is a gift, open it when you’d like.

They are usually bringing something as they want the feeling that they are contributing to the evening. Be hospitable. Open it. Let them win vs. feel like their contribution wasn’t good enough, or to put any doubts in their mind of why you didn’t open it.

This doesn’t need to be hard.

Open it. Pour it for them. Take even a small glass for yourself- (now 3/5 of the bottle gone already). Share / say something nice without lying (about the wine, the region, the gift, the label, whatever). Move on (or not).

5 Likes

Just a guess but it might be due to several of their contracted vineyards being smoke tainted in 2020 (Monterey and Sonoma) they decided to try blending out the taint as much as possible with other vintages.

1 Like

Here’s a new solution for some of your unwanted wines brought by guests:

2 Likes

I have had the NV and the vintage. Not sure which one is worse.

Checked my notes and the last Meomi I drank was 2014 vintage.

People still bring them around but I always open them for the crowd. It is the crowd pleaser that makes me cringe

Have them swish that around in their mouth and crowd pleaser it will not be. That is always fun to do with the Prisoner also. Most wine drinkers drink wine like water.

The busiest restaurant in town probably sells more Meomi than anything other than their house wines probably because of the price difference ($14/glass for the Meomi). It’s been BTG there for years. If it didn’t sell in volume (multiple bottles, often cases per day), they’d swap it out for something else.

2 Likes

I have had Meomi one time. We were on a cruise 4-5 years ago and the couple we were with ordered it. I remember thinking, “How bad could it really be?” I did not finish my glass, on a cruise, when there were not many good options.

I told someone once, if the choice is Meomi, or any other liquid, I choose the other liquid.

3 Likes

I was visiting my parents with my 2 kids a few weeks ago while my wife was helping her mom with something else. I got in and my mom asked if I wanted a glass of wine … she said the Meomi had the best score on the shelf at Sams so that’s what she got. I told her I was just detoxing for the weekend. Decided to just eat my calories in takeout pizza — which I very much did enjoy.

1 Like

I do that often.

Thread drift. There was this one time two years ago when the guy insisted and snuck into the back yard. I told him to take the wine back but he refused. He insisted that I take the bottle out of the brown paper bag. This is what I found.

10 Likes

Sometimes we are willing to suffer :slight_smile:

1 Like

FWIW out shopping today at Trader Joe’s and they had both NV and 2021 Meomi PN on the shelf.

Maybe that’s for the clientele who want to build a vertical.

========

Although its fun to beat up on sugary ‘wines’, I’ll confess that we drink a lot of the Kirkland Sangria around this house, amped up with cut fruit and coarse brandy, served over ice. It’s like a seasonal big kid poolside Kool Aid, in colored plastic tumblers (to be classy). IIRC the back label discloses it’s ‘wine product’ not really wine. Are they getting Spanish mega purple in tanks and then reconstituting it stateside? It’s kind of inexplicable that it has remained $7 a magnum for as long as I can remember, with a $1 discount early/late season, if one buys a sixer.

We gotta change the thread title and be more charitable. :beer:

“When Good Guests Bring Bad Wine.”

“Bad Wine Happens To Good people.”

“Friends Don’t Let Friends Drink Meoimi.”

1 Like

Love the Meoimi add on. We should always educate friends. Stuff is terrible.

2 Likes

Hopefully no wine reviewer had a score above 60 on either.