Falltacular 2024 - Saturday, February 17, San Juan Capistrano, CA

Good morning and happy Saturday. I am helping our very own @Frank_Murray_III out here by posting details of my favorite WB event each and every year.

My hope in posting this is to attract ‘newbies’ and ‘lurkers’ who have never attended this event - and there are a few reasons for my strong feelings about this:

1. The WB Family is a strong and generous one - but it’s also one that usually ‘connects’ online. This event is a great way to meet face to face, to shake hands and give and get hugs from those that you interact with on a regular basis. THAT is one of the main reasons I’ve been doing this event for about 15 years now.

2. This focus and reason for this event is as a fundraiser for Laura’s House, an organization dedicated to assisting families who have been affected by domestic violence. This event has raised over $500K during its existence, and this money has been an invaluable help to the organization. The Executive Director of the organization is always there and the event is actually halted midway through and everyone gathers in the backyard as she discusses the organization, a recap of the previous year, and introduces us to a ‘survivor’ who tells their story. It’s moving and heartfelt and brings home the reason why we are all there.

3. As you will see below, Frank has committed to donating an additional $500 if 10 newbies to the event sign up - and a donor will match that - meaning an additional $1000 will be donated. This is simply awesome!

4. Though there will be over 100 wines donated and available to taste at the event, it is important to note that only 2 bottles of each wine are usually donated - and therefore everyone in attendance understands that small tasting pours are what everyone are supposed to take for EVERY wine. By doing so, everyone in attendance will have a chance to try every wine if desired.

5. This is a BYO Food event - everyone is encouraged to bring something to share with the group. This may include platters of appetizers OR cookiers OR other desserts OR even meats to be barbecued that day and shared with everyone else (and yes, there are normally LOTS of different cuts that are brought and shared, including Snake River and Flannery).

6. At the core of this event - it’s a fundraiser and folks are encouraged to give. There is a fantastic silent auction that takes place in the garage with lots of great things to bid on - from photographs to magnums to collectible beers and bourbons to vineyard stays. Everyone is encouraged to bid on these as well - and it’s so much fun to watch things develop during the final 15 minutes!

Feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions and I will do my best to answer them OR get the answer from others.

Here are more details about the event. The best way to get updates on the event is the OC Falltacular Group Page on Facebook (OC Falltacular Facebook Page). You’ll note that there is also a Friday night kick off dinner that usually sells out as well - and it was just announced yesterday.

It’s go time for 2024 Falltacular. In the spirit of the season, let me first say THANK YOU to everyone who over the years has been part of this amazing event. Uniquely, each of of you has done something to help the event, whether it was from spreading the word, donating to the auction or being a donating winery, or just even from a distance felt comforted and aligned with our work because perhaps you have experienced domestic violence and you felt supportive of our work because of what it meant to you. ALL of it matters so thank you again.

Below is some kick-off info to get us going. Be patient though, as all of what we do is done by volunteer hands and so it’s with love and effort that we make this work. To that end, if I forget something or you have questions, just message me or you are welcome to email me at drfm3@cox.net. OK, let’s go.

DATE: Saturday, February 17th @ Noon. My house.

GOAL: Raise $45,000 (which is close to what we did this past March).

TICKETS: I’m doing away with the ‘wave’ concept of ticketing. Everyone is free to buy tickets now. We had 100 paid this past March so I will artificially set the sell-out # at 125 tickets. And to my Decade of Support and Champions for Fifteen guests, you are all guaranteed tickets should you want them. To attend, simply mail a check made out to LAURA’S HOUSE in the amount of the tickets you wish. Each ticket is $125. Mail your check directly to:

Laura’s House, c/o Falltacular

33 Journey Suite 150, Aliso Viejo, CA 92656

Of note, I want to see some new faces join the existing crowd this year. So, to that end, I have secured a donor to match me, meaning if I can see 10 new people buy a ticket and join us for the first time, my donor and I will each donate an additional $500 to Laura’s House, for a total of $1,000.

SILENT AUCTION: We’re doing it as usual. We’ll need items, both wine and otherwise so post or message me as you decide and I will add them to the list. I already have items committed, I’ll post the list this week sometime for viewing.

FRIDAY DINNER: Working on it. Once I have the location set, I’ll ask for payments from those whom want to attend.

NEW IDEAS: Noodling on a raffle for a few special items (which we need, and I have one already to declare soon).

WINERIES: I will be notifying the wineries shortly about the event. They drive the event, they like you are what make this event successful–our winery partners are GOLD. And, I would like to see some new wineries sign on, to join our long time winery partners and help them share the responsibility. To encourage new wineries to sign on, if I can add 5 new wineries to the event this year, my matching donor and I will each donate an additional $500, for a total of $1,000 that will go to Laura’s House.

Cheers!

In and paid for two, still hoping the recent departure of a certain member here brings Frank back to us!

1 Like

Would love to be one of the 10 newbies. Anything else I should do besides mailing the check to Laura’s House?

Nope, that’s the admission so that’s it in terms of requirements - you might, however, want to join the Facebook group, is, that is where Frank is now posting his updates on the event, including the dinner the night before

1 Like

As Todd said, just go ahead and send the check off - and then join that Facebook group. Details for the Friday dinner were posted yesterday, and there’s a separate thread for those who want to spend the night at a local hotel (there are many who come in from out of town for the event and one even comes in from Canada!!!)

Cheers

1 Like

Yes, yes—not on FB but Frank has been kindly texting me some updates and I am coming…and likely bringing two more Canadian invaders with me this time. As always, looking forward. A sweater will be chosen for the journey as always.

Mike

1 Like

Looking forward to the hugs, my friend!

as am I!

I plan on attending.

Looking forward to connect with the Falltacular family.
and raise money for Laura’s House and the good work they do helping folks in need.

Thanks for sending this along! I have let Frank know and it’ll be great reconnecting in person!

Cheers

agree, will be wonderful to see you again!

Larry, thank you for placing this here. I appreciate it, as well as your many years of support.

Uli, I got your check, you’re all set for the event. Thank you for taking interest in the event, pledging your money and time to join us on February 17th.

Thomas and Mike, it will be great to have you back. I appreciate both of you making the long trip to be here with all of us.

We’re still taking checks for tickets, and we’re three new guests short of the challenge goal to attract 10 new people. If we get the additional three people, my matching donor and I will each donate $500 to Laura’s House.

We did cross/meet my other challenge milestone today, which was to add new wineries. The following are joining Falltacular next month:

LaBARGE (Santa Rita Hills)
TOR (Oakville)
STONE EDGE FARM (Sonoma)
AUTEUR (Sonoma Coast)
L’ENVOLEE (Napa)

We have a few others to be confirmed but the addition of these 5 means that myself and my matching donor will each donate $500 to Laura’s House today. These new wineries join our existing diehards who have been with us a long time, some since the inception in 2006. We LOVE our winery partners, whose wines power the event, the fuel for what we do. THANK YOU to all that helped, to include Anne Fogerty, Phil Carpenter and Chris Towt.

Finally, the Event File is linked below, which shows everything about the event thus far: wineries, wines, ticketing, silent auction, etc.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/6o9f75iuyman0t7klobz6/2024-Falltacular-Public-Event-File.xlsx?rlkey=6lxdvh64g8cms3x12vw8jijhu&dl=0

3 Likes

Welcome back, Frankie! I sent another local (@grovertrask ) from San Clemente over to this thread, hopefully he can join us

@Vamsi_Kaipa

Thank you both. I appreciate you looking out for the event.

Don’t forget that Marnie and Brad are newbies :slight_smile:

Good morning. We are at 9 new attendees signed up and paid for Saturday. If we can get one more signed up, just one more new person to attend, my matching donor and I will each donate another $500 to Laura’s House.

10 new attendees for this year is the goal. Do you know someone who likes wine, or perhaps loves wine and also wants to help others who are fleeing and starting over from domestic violence? Find me one more person, explain the event to them, then ask them to buy a $125 ticket. Let’s get to 10, but more importantly, let’s help Laura’s House and the families and victims of violence for whom they serve.

This event sounds like tons of fun, and for a good cause! Hoping to make the calendar work in my favor, I have been searching for wine tasting group in my neighborhood, thank you for the invite!

I see the event starts at Noon in AV… couple questions:

How late does it go? Around when is the auction?

The event runs from 12-5. I believe the auction closes at 4 perhaps? Anyone else know with certainty?