Falltacular 2024 - Saturday, February 17, San Juan Capistrano, CA

Auction closes at 5:00

Hi, and thanks for taking interest in Falltacular. The event would welcome you and it’s closer than perhaps it may seem. You noted “AV” above, not sure what you mean but if that is reference to Aliso Viejo, it is not there. It’s at my own home here near Dana Point. You could meet some new people here for sure, as there are attendees that run local groups (me, as part of two that meet around here, for example). So, see what you can do and then hopefully you can make it. Should you have any more questions, just email me and I will give you my cell #. my email is drfm3@cox.net

Frank, thanks for both your kind welcoming and clarifying, Dana point is even better! Check to be sent to Laura’s house in AV, in the mailbox today. Happy to help the cause regardless, so count me in. I’m pretty sure I can make it, so I’ll get a check in the mail today. I’m fired up!

And by the way, the 5 wineries you added for this year that you mentioned above, sound fantastic!

Terrific. Of note also is the Friday night BYOB dinner. It’s at Luciana’s in Dana Point, on the 16th. $85 all-inclusive and you just bring a bottle. Most of the crowd on the 16th comes to the main event the next day (although we’ll have a 100 people on the 17th, so not everyone does the 16th dinner, if you understand my contrast here). The 16th dinner would give you even more wine to taste, and of note, the wines on the 16th are not repeated on the 17th. In fact, the wines on the 16th are most often out of cellars by those who attend, and can be quite diverse.

When we get your check, I’ll add you to the list of attendees.

Any callouts for the volunteer slots? Any particular ones that need signups more than others?

Uli, the 2PM and 3Pm slots are the most important in terms of the inside of the house. If you would like to take an hour in one of those, that would be beneficial for us.

Sounds good, happy to take a 2:00pm slot wherever it is needed most.

I’ll put you down, thank you, Uli.

1 Like

Everyone…help. We got a check from an ANDREW NEWMAN in South Pasadena. Who is this person, do you know him? As a reminder, we don’t let anyone into the event who is unknown so please help me identify him.

Thank you.

IMPORTANT FRIDAY BYOB DINNER UPDATE

Everyone, I want to update you on the dinner. If you are on the list below, you want to tune in for this post so you know what’s going on.

We have 41 paid as of today, and this is going to be the max for the smaller space at Luciana’s. Based on this max, I am going to start a wait list. Why a wait list? Two reasons. First, we still have the right to the larger space but we have to get 50 paid and we’re short of that but the wait list allows us to see if we can keep taking money and get there. And Second, the wait list can help give relief to those who may need to late cancel, allowing someone to come into the dinner, and someone to in turn cancel with their money back.

With that said, l I will continue to hold all of your money and can still refund anyone who needs to back out, PROVIDED YOU CANCEL BY EOD February 11th. Starting on February 12th, your spot becomes guaranteed and Luciana’s will expect you to take a chair, and if you have to cancel, I cannot refund.

We’ve done this drill over the years and many of you are used to this–it’s how we partner with the restaurant and do so within the ambiguity of trying to collect funds and secure the right sized space on a busy night.

Here is the paid list, and at this time no one is waiting:
Ramon del Rosario V 170 2
Arnie Caplan V 170 2
Mike Grammer, Marnie Willson, Brad Kent Cash Night Of 255 3
Brian Tuite P 85 1
Bernie Schwartz and Dave Gunn V 170 2
Scott and Andrea Watkins P 170 2
Astrid Keel V 170 2
Francine Haight P 170 2
Roy Chen V 170 2
Nancy and Sal D P 170 2
Marshall Gelb P 170 2
Carina Thorsen and Rod Pierce V 170 2
Brad Maury and Mark Jones V 170 2
David Smith V 170 2
Larry Piggins V 85 1
Yarom Limor V 85 1
Brian Bohr V 85 1
Nicole Lorenz V 170 2
Leslie Goldsmith V 85 1
Glenn Murlin P 85 1
Bruce Weimer V 85 1
Ted and Joann Erfer V 170 2
Don Krotee V 170 2
Mike Stoneking V 85 1
Larry Rowe (Greyscale)–MAYBE
TOTALS 3485 41

Good afternoon everyone. Been several days since I posted on the event details. Lots of adds to the various gears of the event, which you can find in the attached file. Of note, for those who want the executive summary version…

65 auction items, with some SQN now committed (thank you Arnie Caplan for tossing this into the mix…photos below!)

92 paid guests, with ticket revenue exceeding $13K. We need one more newbie to meet the challenge of 10 new people.

Friday BYOB dinner is now in wait list status. If we can get about 8 more people, we can move to the bigger space and ‘unwait’.

70 distinct committed wines, with another 40 to come (my guess).

And here is a link to the Event File: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/6o9f75iuyman0t7klobz6/2024-Falltacular-Public-Event-File.xlsx?rlkey=6lxdvh64g8cms3x12vw8jijhu&dl=0

Frank , you should have my check by today, I mailed it out on Tue/Wed.

I’ll email you on a couple other details for the event. I’m fired up for Falltacular!

Our Saturday custom glassware has arrived and we again owe a large thank you to Mark Jones and his company Neudesic. I think this may be the 7th year that Mark has done the glasses and I know many of you love these as they remind you of the commitment you’ve made in supporting the event so when you arrive on Saturday next month each of you will get one of these that you can take home. PS… forgive the pictures as I’m not professional photographer and so I did the best I can to show you what these look like.

Terrific. I will hit you up with a reply on email.

Is it customary for guests to commit wines?

We have an ‘after party’, which usually gets going around 5-6pm. This is when non-event wines are opened that are brought to the event. Think of it is a BYOB after everyone has pretty much finished tasting everything. Usually the bottles are beer and Champagne, but no rules about what you bring so you’re welcome to join in this, just bring whatever you like.

1 Like

Good morning. We have met the challenge, and have our 10th new guest who has paid for the event, Drew Newman crossed the finish line for us. Further, I know of 3-4 more that have sent checks, which is fantastic for the event, and more importantly, for raising the money for Laura’s House.

Given the success here, both my matching donor and I will donate another $500 each to Laura’s House for their work in protecting and serving others who are fleeing violence.

We all do this work, together. Thank you all for supporting the event and keeping it successful.

Another great update for today, our second and certainly worth sharing…

Both @Brian_Tuite and @Paul_Hiyake have made donations to the silent auction, adding over a dozen lots and increasing the diversity of the silent auction itself. Both Brian and Paul have been well-established as key donors to Falltacular, both through attendance, and both buying AND donating to the auction year after year. It’s this kind of generosity that have made Falltacular an enduring success. THANK YOU both!

Here is the updated Event link that shows everything, to include the current silent auction commitments:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/6o9f75iuyman0t7klobz6/2024-Falltacular-Public-Event-File.xlsx?rlkey=6lxdvh64g8cms3x12vw8jijhu&dl=0

As a postscript to my earlier shout outs to Paul and Brian, I also want to extend a big thank you to @Gerry_Frayer, @Brian_Bohr and @Bruce_Rudman for their multiple donations to the upcoming silent auction.

And to get a little more granular but also more deeply extend my thank you to each of these guys, both Brian and Bruce are over a decade in supporting Falltacular, and Gerry has exceeded 15 years. All of this support, both attending the event, making donations, buying in the silent auction and spreading the word of mouth about the event, it all has made a difference. So, to Gerry, Brian and Bruce, THANK YOU, as well.