Commemorating Meals and Wines in 2023

Hi everyone,

I am very happy that I’ve been able to continue my project of commemorating special meals for the third year in a row. As described before, I took up watercolor painting as a pandemic hobby and I’ve recorded menus of meals that I want to remember. I posted the results first time I tried this in 2021, though the pictures unfortunately got mangled with the WBers site update. The 2022 version is here. Here are some that I think came out nicely in 2023- to be bound up in a book when I get around to it.

Looking forward to learning and drinking with you all in 2024!

Noah

An explanation: my partner and I watched a complete garbage reality show called Perfect Match. Don’t watch it, it’s terrible. But never passing up the opportunity for a nice meal, I made a menu of foods that match each other “perfectly”, and I tried my first watercolor portrait, which is of one of the contestants. Still the best portrait that I’ve done to date.

Trying overhead perspective: you’re looking down on the tabletop, my chair, the food, and wine glass.

I don’t really care about the British monarchy, but coronation day was a great excuse to make a nice meal (does coronation chicken count?) and open a nice wine. Unfortunately I didn’t have any English sparkling.

Meal cooked and enjoyed on a trip to Portugal. My attempt at experimenting with architectural drawing/painting.

Been watching a lot of Miyazaki films this year.

Perhaps not the best of paintings, but I loved the food and wine pairings here.

Experimenting with Sumi ink, which is very different than watercolor. Style is a blatant rip off of Endre Penovac, but I liked how it came out, so am including it.

WOTY

37 Likes

simply beautiful. Great work.

2 Likes

For sure!

1 Like

Love the watercolors! Beautiful.

1 Like

Stunning

I like the phrase “I took up watercolor painting”, I was expecting something like I’d paint. LOL

You are very talented beyond the painting.

4 Likes

These are so beautiful. I am sure they will turn into beloved family keepsakes down the line.

1 Like

These are incredible – and the penmanship too!

1 Like

A real pick-me-up to look at today. Marvelous work!

1 Like

The penmanship really got me, my chicken scratch would absolutely ruin those beautiful paintings.

1 Like

your chicken scratch would be the most beautiful calligraphy next to my attempt to write anything!

I look forward to these every year.

1 Like

So great to hear. Thank you Roger!

1 Like

You are talented! What a wonderful way to keep memories of wine and meals.

1 Like

I had forgotten about last years and when I saw the first image I gasped with excitement. Love these and thank you for sharing them.

1 Like

Wow!

2 Likes

Late to the reactions…The more I scrolled down the more blown away…just wonderful.

2 Likes

I am so glad to see that you’ve stuck with this. I think these are just spectacular in part because they are real memories of things done with loved ones. I absolutely love looking at these and damn, you are gifted. These are so fun, the compositions always very interesting and some are just dynamite. I like that they’re in different styles, that some are quaint, some are stylized, and some and downright baroque. If I found something like this and learned that my father or mother did them to preserve fond memories, I would literally cherish them forever. They are so neat.

1 Like

Me too! I LOVED the prior posts. I stumbled on this and got really excited. They’re wonderful.

1 Like

Thank so much for all the positive feedback everyone! It can be tough to keep a project like this up, but it’s a great motivator knowing that there will be Berserkers waiting for a 2024 edition! Thanks again!

• Noah

wow, Noah, fantastic watercolors, truly

1 Like