Wine pairing for Coronation Chicken?

So here’s a fun and timely one. This is chicken breast, poached in white wine, served in a mayo-based sauce lightly flavored with curry. Originally served at the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II.

I might cook this tonight and was wondering about wine pairing. English sparkling is the obvious answer, but 1) I don’t have any, 2) couldn’t find any locally last time I looked, and 3) I’m trying to drink down my cellar anyway.

Thanks!

Haven’t made the dish but my thought is Alsace Riesling.

2 Likes

I have been served it regularly throughout my life. It’s a bit of a joke in the UK. The kind of thing you feed to grandma in a sandwich.

Samuel Smith Lager

Austria Grüner Veltliner (Lamm/Gobelsburg)

This was in the NYT Food edition, I saw that article. I like Paul’s statement, probably sums it up.

You can have almost anything with this dish, I would however, choose something not completely dry. I liked the suggestion for Alsace Riesling, but a German Riesling kabinett or feinherb should work well, perhaps a high dosage champagne or a crémant from the Loire.

Dry or off-dry Riesling seems like an obvious choice. I like the Gruner call if you go with a really good one. For something a little different, Kerner seems like it would work really well. Basically, I think almost any aromatic white would work.

1 Like

Beaune Clos du Roi

1 Like

Pol roger

I’ll go Google what goes with Chick Fil A and report back!

1 Like

If Prince Andrew is coming dinner, then something rather young!

5 Likes

FIFY

1 Like

followed by a volley of musket fire.

Obvious. Coronation Sherry … .

I’ll have what they’re having!

Boone’s Farm is the first choice, followed by MD 20-20 or Annie Green Springs.
Please remember who you are pouring for!

Dan Kravitz

I’m not feeling the pradikat Riesling. I’d do an Albariño with some age on it.

1 Like

Ok, hands up - who has actually made this dish? As I said above my pairing was basically a guess.

And, who has actually eaten it? Closest I’ve got is in a sandwich at a local British oriented bakers a couple of times, and no wine.