What Kelley Fox Wines are you drinking?

The initiation of this thread is long overdue for one of Oregon’s premier producers.

Edit: For those who have not visited Kelley’s website, there are good sections on her background and philosophy, the vineyards she sources from, and her thoughts of vintages going back to 2011.

To get things started, here are a couple of previous worthy threads devoted to Kelley’s wines. Read, enjoy, pull some corks!

1 Like

Has anyone been drinking the Mirabai lately? Curious as to how long folks are holding them for. I’ve got a 2018 and a few 2021s, but thinking maybe I’ll be drinking these young moving forward…

Funny you should ask - to get the thread going, I decided to open a 2019 Mirabai. This is my last bottle of a six pack which will tell you how long I hold them. I’m sure they can last for a number of years, but I use them as KF cellar defenders. They are not exactly a bargain at $39 for an entry level, but the wine is serious and of very high quality.

For some general background, this is a Dundee blend of old vine Maresh and Weber. I’ve heard two versions: that this is declassified SVD barrels or that this is pressed juice and the SVD are free run. I’m not sure which is right or if they both are. Kelley is a mystical/spiritual person and chose to name this after Mirabai, a 16th century India saint/poet/seer. The label was drawn by one of her daughters and reflects Oregon’s natural wonders. You can see the earwig “mascot” on Mt. Hood’s glacier.

The 2019 is pale red with pink hues. I get some scents of tart cranberry and stinging nettle. The palate is medium light bodied with restrained red fruits, notable acidity, and moderate tannins. I don’t see any rush to drink this and it probably has an upside. It would be fun to watch except I bought them for the purpose of early consumption. All that said, the SVD are a significant step up in depth, complexity and elegance. Of course, they are a significant step up in price too, especially with the recent increase. I hope you still decide to treat yourself to a few.

2 Likes

I’ve had the 2019 and 2021. Both are unreal right now. The 2019 we kept a little overnight (just pumped the air out of the bottle ) and on day 2 it was still fine , and had put on a little extra complexity but at the cost of showing a little more bones. I think you can safely save the 2019 for a few years but I don’t think it has the aging potential of the SVs.

I wish I could tell you about a day 2 for the 2021 but my lord it was so good there was none left. As great as the 2019 is — and it’s really really good — the 2021 is just off the charts. And if I had to guess — although this is really just a hunch — I’d say the 2021 Mirabai could be kept longer than the 2019. If the 2019 could easily be kept for 3-5 years without fear, add 2 years for the 2021. The SVDs can improve significantly longer than that.

Like @ChrisJames I usually buy the Mirabai to have while I wait for the wSVDs to mature.

1 Like

Agree with John, the ‘21 Mirabai is delicious right now. There’s sneaky structure behind that pretty red strawberry primary fruit too and it should age well.

2 Likes

Agree on the 21’s although I bought 6 mags and a few 750’s because I really need to age my SVD’s.

2 Likes

Chris, many thanks for getting this going, long overdue.

I had a early look at the 22 Freedom Hill Pinot Blanc last Sat - a bit more round and fruit themed (think pear) vs the mineral powerhouse that is the 19 version, but to no surprise…utterly delicious.

2 Likes

I opened a 2019 Weber the other night (BerserkerDay purchase) and it was just spectacular. No need to wait, enjoy these now. Glad I have several more!

Just had a bunch of 2021s arrive as well with my shipment.

2 Likes

Nice. Kelley’s Maresh vineyard bottlings seem to get most of the love, but I am really fond of what she does with Weber. And that BD deal was spectacular!

2 Likes

All i know is the 19 royal ann i had 6 months ago was insane. One of the best pinots ive tasted. Wish i could join the club but already on too many lists.

2 Likes

I believe the Mirabai is both declassified SVD as well as the press juice. I think Dustin mentioned that most of the SVD wines are free run, so surely the press ends up in the Mirabai, but that alone won’t make the numbers work IMHO. Kelley made 1300 cases of Mirabai in 2021 (70% weber/30% mares) and made 466 cases of weber. if all the Mirabai was pressed that would be 466 cases of free run and 910 cases of press from weber, and I dont think press to free run is 2:1.

Very limited experiene here, but I drank through half a case of the 19 and felt like they were starting to close down in the spring of 2022. I drank through half a case of the 21 by January of 2023 as they were just that opened (and had to replenish for stuff I want to age). This wine is typically released 1 year from vintage, and I think has a nice drinking window for about another 12-18 months before it shuts down (depending on vintage). I don’t have old enough Mirabai to know when it opens back up, but I likely won’t open another 19 Mirabai until 2026 at the earliest.

2 Likes

I’ve been drinking the 2019 Mirabai for the last three hours. There is nothing shut down about it at all although it has improved and expanded though out the evening. In my very limited experience, I have not encountered a shut down Mirabai.

Chris, feel free to invite me over and maybe I’ll agree (I’m in Fremont :)). It’s been almost 2 years since I’ve had one so I’m glad to hear they are back open. I’m looking forward to my fall ritual of drinking the prior year Mirabai.

Brian, that should happen one day, but not tonight. The bottle is almost empty! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

@Brian_Be noted the Mirabai shutting down, but in another thread (maybe the 2005 one?) someone said they didnt see the KF wines ever really shutting down. I havent had enough of her wines to have an opinion, anyone care to share theirs?

2 Likes

I don’t know if I was the one who said it, but I’d be inclined to agree with the sentiment. Not counting Scott Paul’s wines, I have not had a KF Pinot older than 2015. I have found them to be universally delicious whenever I’ve opened them. Perhaps they need some air to unwind a bit, but I’ve never thought, “Oh crap. This was a mistake to open.” The closest would be a 2017 Hyland that I opened around 2021. That was super young, but it was still glorious. This is why people keep saying they need to keep their hands off their KF SVDs - because they are so damn drinkable.

I have also read the KF 19 SVD are shutting down which is consistent with other 19s shutting down. Chris have you had any 19s recently?

2 Likes

Only the Mirabai last night. I have quite a few KF 2019 SVD, especially Weber, Royal Anne, and Hyland, so I’ll crack one soon. Note that @Bweiss posted just above on the 19 Weber currently being spectacular. I also wonder if we are using a different benchmark for shut down. Goodfellows are well known for shutting down (I had one open up after being open for four days). I’ve had PGC that were as inviting as Mike Tyson in close quarters. And closed Barolo can be like drinking liquid concrete. But I’ve always found KF wines to be more like people - they go through different phases, but the core personality and attributes always shines through. I’ve also given up on looking for the perfect drinking date or assuming that the wine and I will be around in 10,15, 25 years. Each wine is a journey, not a final destination. I feel pretty comfortable knowing that I will enjoy a KF PN whenever I decide to open it.

4 Likes

I can only speak for the 19 Weber… it is not shut down at all right now. 30-40 min air exposure and it was singing. Incredible wine.

1 Like