What Kelley Fox Wines are you drinking?

Shutdown is kind of a relative term. I had the 2019 Royal Ann Block in June and the Weber in August, and both were great, albeit young. Would not characterize either of them as shut down.

-Al

Just took possession of the rest of my 2021 KF wines. Great drinking dead ahead! Three years ago I was astonished by the very young 2018 RAB when it was released and have focused on that bottling ever since. 2021 is the last vintage of that block so if you are at all inclined, stock up now.

I will contribute to this thread as we drink her wines, but we tend to reserve them for special meals. I am not at all schooled about the aging curve of these wines, but I’ve never had one that was beyond its grace. I suspect 20 years are easily within their grasp. I hope the same for me.

2013 Maresh (if you can find it) is (IMHO) exemplary of the rewards that await patient collectors.

3 Likes

2021 last vintage of royal ann?

Yes (per the web site).

Dam just saw that. What a shame. The lone bottle I had of the 19 royal ann was insane. So good.

The other SVDs are awesome, too. While it’s too bad there won’t be more RAB, believe me, other cuvées will make up for it.

Ill need to make sure i try them then! Reason ive only tried RAB is because of Berserker day purchase.

I really would not get hung up on a particular vineyard cuvee. They’ll be a little different but I would not single RAB as particularly primus inter pares. I have a particular love of Maresh Star of Bethlehem for example.

1 Like

Red Barn block was my favorite. She lost that and got RAB which became my new favorite. That is now gone too, as is Star, and replaced by Golden Crowned Sparrow block. I’m sure it’s great though I’ve not tried it. I don’t know the workings behind this merry-go-round of blocks at Maresh other than that she is at the mercy of the vineyard owner.

1 Like

I will need to try Star in the future then. Im sure all bottlings are good. Just sad to see royal ann gone after such a lovely experience with the wine.

Star is gone as well! Jeez!

2021 is the last vintage of both RAB and Star of B. block.

1 Like

Dam i wonder why she lost those blocks.

1 Like

this year I had a 2013 Mirabai and it was still drinking awesome. Have no qualms about holding onto them for a while. it definitely gained a bit more complexity compared to the newer vintages, which I also love. What a value for these wines!

2 Likes

Just so everyone knows, B-21 has the best pricing on Kelley Fox wines I’ve seen with low shipping costs.

3 Likes

With regards to lost blocks at Maresh - she is by far and away the family favorite - she lived on the property for awhile - I believe the blocks are diseased and replanting has taken place over the years. She still works with stunning old vines from the vineyard.

6 Likes

I see only two interesting buys there. the 2018 Weber is a very good price compared to current releases and has some bottle age. The 2021 Royal Anne is surprising in that it is cheaper than the club price.

The Mirabai is a bit cheaper, as is the Star of Bethlehem, too

1 Like

Mirabai - $1 less than full price at the winery.

2021 Star of Bethlehem has two entries for the same wine. Oops. One is $90 and one is $100. $90 is full price from the winery.

That is why I said I thought there were only two buys worth getting excited over. Given the choice, I always buy direct from wineries as the wine moves less and it puts more in the producer’s pocket.

3 Likes

Glad to know this thanks Bill!