TN: 2019 Kelley Fox Wines Pinot Noir Maresh Vineyard

• 2019 Kelley Fox Wines Pinot Noir Maresh Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Dundee Hills (12/7/2021)
    Spectacular Oregon pinot. Focused fruit and ethereal nose of roses/red fruit. Some spicy stem element. Lighter concentration but penetrating palate. Thanks Kelley!

Posted from CellarTracker
This is WOW good.

4 Likes

Thanks for the note. Visiting Dustin tomorrow :slight_smile:

1 Like

Brian,
Kelleyā€™s wines are quite nice.

Had an '18 Maresh Maresh. Very nice but seemed like it could use some bottle age and gain some weight. Have some of Kelleyā€™s also but may wait unless you tell me not to Don :slight_smile:.

1 Like

I didnā€™t take any of the straight Maresh this year (but did take the Star of Bethlehem Maresh), so thanks for the note.

Brian,
Yes, my experience with the '18 was an incredibly light touch. Gilman has fairly distant starting windows for these, but then, he does for most wines.

I guess weā€™re all getting our ā€˜19s in :grin:. Thinking about opening one to sample. Don your note is encouraging me that it wonā€™t be a crime to sample one young. What do you think about the drinking window?

Wow, Don, thanks for opening one early. I tend to sit on my KF vineyard designated wines a while, but maybe thereā€™s no need to incubate. Like Rich, I wonder if you have an opinion on their drinking window.

Cheers,
Warren

This is a pretty great description of this wine every vintage.

2 Likes

Kelley Fox and Goodfellow have become two of my absolute favorites in Oregon. Really nice wines.

1 Like

IMO, this ā€œregularā€ Maresh vineyard is THE wine to get from Kelley. this is the main section that she cares for in the vineyard, and I think it shows in the wines.

1 Like

Please tell Dustin (and Kelley if you see her) that I say hi! two of my very favorite people.

Right. Per Dustin, this is not a non-designate wine for less distinguished Maresh fruit, but is an actual block just like the Bethleham, Royal Anne, and Red Barn.

1 Like

FWIW, the 2019 Mirabai is also lovely for near term drinking (and longer). I have some coming, but picked up a couple locally because I saw it and couldnā€™t resist. Blend of Maresh and Weber.

-Al

I was just there on Sat for an epic two and a half hour tasting with Dustin and Kelley. The 19ā€™s are mind blowingly good as Donā€™s note supports for the regular Maresh - the Star of Bethlehem was next level and just flat out gorgeous. Be sure and try the vermouth if possible - Its like a botanical Grateful Dead concert going off in your mouth - and I for one will sure as heck being enjoying it around the Holidays.

Also, a huge call out to Kelley and Dustin, I brought some very good friends who like wine but arenā€™t obsessive about it - and they made them feel right at home - it was a great visit and Iā€™ll remember it for along time.

3 Likes

The wine is a baby. If you like them fully ready this one might take a few years but no crime enjoying it as a young exuberant pinot.

BTW, I buy this particular plot every year as I did with Red Barn until she had to let that one go. It is a plot of older vines that Kelley has tended well for quite a while if my understanding is correct. The fruit is very bright. In many ways like a wonderful Chambolle or Volnay in character. I really like this better than her darker fruited bottlings like Weber but that is a personal preference. Her touch with this wine reminds me of Fred Mugnier in many ways. Some wonā€™t like the lack of heft but there is plenty of intensity and length in this wine. FWIW.

2 Likes

We opened a lovely 2019 Hyland Vineyard Coury Clone last night. There was initially a little hardness on the finish but it opened up beautifully with air.

Just a follow up after visiting Dustin. That 2019 Maresh is special, and Iā€™m struggling to figure out how many to stash away. I also enjoyed the 2019 Mirabai, moreso than the 2018. In contrast, I personally thought the 2018 Hyland Vineyard Coury Clone I opened earlier this year was more my speed compared to the 2019 we tasted in the cellar.

1 Like

Agree that I prefer Kelleyā€™s 2019 in most instances where Iā€™ve had both the 2019 and 2018. That said, the 2018s are no slouches, and my favorite wine of hers ever is the 2018 Royal Ann Block. But then the 2019 Royal Ann Block has not been released yet.

2 Likes

I just got a few more bottles for a total of six. But that means I might have to skipping one of the other Maresh bottlings.

Interesting about the Hyland. Iā€™ve not tasted the 2018, yet thought both the 2019 and 2017 recently were A+.

2 Likes

The 2018 was the first I tried of it. Itā€™s possible that after trying the 2019 Maresh I was less enthusiastic about the Hyland Vineyard Coury Clone.