What de Négoce wine are you drinking tonight?

OG Lot 296 | 2021 Sta. Rita Hills Pinot Noir
I like this one, Sylvester is indifferent.
Another year or two in the cellar will pay dividends.
with oven fried chicken

7 Likes

People will call me crazy, but…

I bought a 6-pack of lot 468 after all the hype. It was my only dN purchase of 2024. It arrived on Monday and I popped a bottle a few hours ago. Muted in the first hr. Then it got much better after ~3 hrs in the decanter, but still not remarkable. It’s likely a great $27 wine but if I had paid the original $120 price tag I would be frustrated…I left 1/2 of the bottle for tomorrow. Let’s see what happens. Hopefully it completely transforms itself. :pray:

Then I opened the good old Wed night lot 181 and I’m so much happier :slight_smile: delicious juice. So far, Amador County > RC Napa :joy:

5 Likes

Vitor,
Call me crazy, I’ve got a couple 181 CS sitting in the cellar waiting for a swap… :grinning:

Cheers, Tim

4 Likes

Based on your tasting notes on dN 468, I’m going to save the bottle that I was planning on opening tonight. Hopefully it just needs 1 - 3 years to shine. I saw a WB posting awhile back about a dN lot where 9 of 12 were drank too young getting mediocre reviews. Then the wine turned a corner and became really good with only 2 bottles left. BTW, the lot 468 source winery website has a review of it with a drinking window starting in 2025.

4 Likes

I will still drink one bottle this weekend and then decide how to pace myself. I of course want this lot to be special tasting but don’t want it to be that my do more special/bette than the other 15 lots of dN Napa cabs that are reported to be more than $100 retail. Don’t want this to be “so much better” that I regret buying other dn offers :).

1 Like

Lot 384 2022 Monterey County Chardonnay

Ready, set, guzzle!
Deep straw yellow/golden color, moderately rich, unctuous fruit, good oak accents and PLENTY of nice acid. Big Cool climate high acid balance.
It’s a good food wine and is likely from Chalone (Bum-F*** Egypt) high up and near the Pinnacles National Park. I don’t think I will need to age this one for improvement. it’s already drinking up nicely!! :wine_glass:
$99/case! Great QPR!!! :+1:
with grilled Salmon

2 Likes

Here’s the review that’s convinced me to wait on dN 468:

4 Likes

Day 2 of lot 468: it’s much better than yesterday! :yum: I’ve cancelled my trade with @Timothy_B_a_l_l_a_r_d :joy:

You are right that we should wait at least another year to drink it.

4 Likes

Has anyone had the 451 Chardonnay yet? I have found it overly sweet and almost as if there is residual sugar. I know it was pretty recently bottled so that may be the issue, but wanted to see if any of you have had a similar experience with this wine.

468 Howell mountain 2018 cab. As stated by others the cork does confirm the shiner source as R0bert Cr@ig. On initial taste when I opened for decant, it was clearly a well
made wine but lacked in complexity…just a solid “this is a solid grownup person wine”…then we revisit 3 hours later with green and red Thai curry takeout. I’m super thrilled to have 11 more bottles of this wine…. I agree with others that it will improve with a few more years of aging, but a several hours decant will do the trick.

I struggle with how do describe this wine. It’s got a long finish and mostly dark fruits. Tannins present (like most 18 cabs) but well integrated. I’d default to a “parks and recs” reference and think of Ron Swanson where he would just describe his perfectly grilled burger not in eloquent terms but “good burger”. This wine is like that. It just needs to be described as “good cab”….

Am I confident that this is $120 wine? I’m not sure Because of my lack of experience….id estimate I’ve only had 30 -40 $100+ branded bottles of wine. Some of which I loved and others where I was disappointed. I own 20 to 30 $100-$200 Bottles of wine and honestly am most often petrified to open them because they may not meet my expectation, may not be ready (Thus I wasted a bottle) or they may be so good but not meet the right audience to appreciate them…I know I need to get over that but I guess for me that is the point of DN. I really didn’t have to worry about opening a $27 bottle of wine with Thai food and leaving the second half of the bottle for whatever we cook tomorrow… 468 is on par with lot 200, 213, 241, 300, (and 275 on it’s good bottles) …I think I’ll likely regret not having 2 cases.

8 Likes

Man… I regret dragging my feet on a case now. I had it in the cart and thought I’d do some more research about the source and decide later. Then it sold out… alas

Last night I opened a bottle of 142 Malbec for husband & son to enjoy with smoked pork sandwiches. I had a taste & had to agree with your wife, Boris. It was quite a disappointment. The fruit had gone missing & all that was left was structure & tannins, accompanied by an odd bitterness on the finish. I began to calculate how much of this wine I had left & to wonder if Malbec is a grape that doesn’t age well. HOWEVER, instead of pouring it down the drain or relegating it to spaghetti sauce, I decided to give it another 24 hours. It was a completely different wine. The dark fruit profile was back, the wine was well balanced, & I thoroughly enjoyed it. A wine that I thought was spent after six years had turned into a phoenix.

6 Likes

I recently had a very similar experience with N. 142 Malbec. It actually took 2 days for me to get this one to mellow out the tannins and reveal a much nicer wine than the purple monster it was at first.

6 Likes

OG dN Lot 195 2019 Napa Valley Meritage

Last bottle. Ready to PnP, it is a very nice Bordeaux styled blend.
Right bank/Left bank? Not sure. But, it sure is very yummy!
Smooth, complex and aromatic of dark fruits. Wish I had more of this :wine_glass:/:wine_glass: :wine_glass: ??
with prime sirloin Kabobs

4 Likes
  • 2018 de Négoce Cabernet Sauvignon OG N.30 - USA, California, Napa Valley, Atlas Peak (6/7/2024)
    Decanted back into bottle 30 mins prior to dinner. Pours dark in glass, opaque to rim. Aromas of dark fruit- plums and blackberry, but muted at first. First glass was a bit weak taste wise, I'd say underwhelming, but not enough to clean the drain with balance of the bottle. Made a series of small pours for the wife and myself wanting to see where, in time, this Cabernet went. After 2 hours, more depth, flavors became bolder and balanced with minerality and tannic finish. Enjoyable Cabernet, far better than a Kirkland Signature Series Napa Cabernet. Will hold for 2-3 more years. (90 points)

Posted from CellarTracker

7 Likes

OG N.13 2018 Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

Almost 4 years in the bottle. PnP, nicely complex with some red and primarily black fruits, tantalizing cigar boxes and some dried herbs. Smooth & well Structured wine, with modest acidity & layered tannins, a nice long finish.
I like this now, no need for me to age additionally. :wine_glass: :wine_glass:
with grilled country style Pork ribs

2 Likes

On deck for tonight, Roast Duck & Cote d ‘Or:
(With a Side of Gold) :star::wine_glass:??

5 Likes

We had the Lot 307 last night, and it is maturing nicely. It took about 90 minutes to open up, and it was lovely. I am glad we still have a case+ to look forward to.

4 Likes

The 2019 Xavier Vignon Gigondas.
Think it’s mostly Grenache, and a little Mourvedre.
Very tasty. Glad I got a case.
And, I’m not a fan of old-world (French) wines.

1 Like

Nothing old world about Xavier Vignon I’m afraid. You should be very happy. I on the other hand have six cases that were supposed to give me a break from all the new world wine I bought and my only hope is that they’ll pick up some traditional rhone character in five years.

1 Like