What bottle of wine did you open today? (Part 2)

Tonight - Johnnie Walker Blue Label. Was gifted to me, but I’ve been sampling it for a year or so and I’m actually blown away by how good that Whiskey is. Never thought I’d say that about a blend, but it might be my new favorite. Which really sucks, because that stuff is expensive!

5 Likes

Similar to last bottle three years ago. Meh. Too much 2011 talking. Lower acid, somewhat vacant in the mid-palate. Doesn’t go anywhere. Not bad, but not great and ok with some spicy Indian food. I’d just drink 'em if I had more.

2 Likes

2020 Buisson-Charles Meursault Vielle Vignes

Powerful! Certainly ripe, but really good I thought. A superb match with halibut tonight. Definitely a food wine.

1 Like

They’re was a thread about easy drinking young Nebbiolo that i couldn’t locate. This would fit the bill. Very nice. 2nd of 8. Fruit and florals. Beautiful delicate mouthfeel, fine powdery tanins. Very well done. This is pretty and vivacious. Happy to have found this. I have some 2018 as well.

I love that stem!

Food prep wine today, 2021 Tercero Mourvedre Rose.
Damn I’m glad I have a case!

2021 Tercero Mourvèdre Rosé

Only slightly rose color, closer to aged white wine than bright rose. I assume there wasn’t too much skin contact. Nose is fresh with florals, strawberries, touch of ripe apple, some salinity and just a hint of savory herbs. Palate is dry, medium bodied with strawberries and raspberries. Finishes medium+ with pleasant acidity, a little saltiness and some darker licorice root tones.
Not the most complex or profound wine, but very enjoyable. I finished the bottle and am glad I bought a case.

4 Likes

1 Like

2014 Benjamin Leroux Nuits-Saint-Georges 1er Cru Aux Thorey

Regrettably my last bottle of this. Showed very well and paired superbly with chicken and funnel chanterelles.

1 Like

Magnum of 87 Dunn HM bought from someone that bought on release, stored perfect and barely moved until sold. Have had many times but wanted to really enjoy it so split with a friend paired with a Flannery Jorge. Can’t see it getting any better and might have been better a year or two ago. Drink up if you have one

6 Likes

Have a 12’ Napanook on the counter to pair with Flannery hangers for dinner.

1 Like

Had some friends over who are interested in wine but have never ventured outside the grocery store selection. Opened some bottles to give them a wide variety.

The Goodfellow Whistling Ridge Pinot was WOTN for me. Just drinking so nice right now.

2 Likes

You are a good friend. How did they like the wines?

Just opened a ‘21 Enfield Stained Glass Grenache. It arrived earlier this week so didn’t give it time to rest, but not sure that made a difference. First Enfield I haven’t loved - lot of alcohol on the finish, not hot, just dominated the palate. Did not enjoy. Wondering if anyone else has experience with this bottling.

1 Like

2017 Benetiere Cordeloux
Medium-light bodied; red fruited and herbal and a touch briney, with a gentle sappiness; gathers strength with air, with an incipient darkness/coolness to it, though still embryonic; seems a bit more closed than the magnum from Nov 2021, and I would give these a good few more years before trying one again; good with upside

3 Likes

We had a great time and they really enjoyed the wines. They were super curious so it was fun to nerd out. General thoughts from everyone:

They were amazed at how crisp the chardonnays were & took pictures of the bottles so they could try to buy some. They really enjoyed the brightness of the Beaujolais (though it had a little barnyard note to it that they weren’t quite sure about) and thought it was spicy — we figured out that was a little spritz in the wine. They said they typically order/buy Cabernet Sauvignon but preferred the Goodfellow & ARPEPE to the bigger wines and were very surprised by that.

All in all, great wines, great friends and a great time!

1 Like

‘19 Saisons Savigny-Les-Beaune :fire::fire::fire:. Are punch downs via foot the new trend in Burgundy? :thinking:

2 Likes

That’s encouraging, my first bottle was so reduced that I worried if it had a future at all!

2 Likes

That’s an expensive cult cab with lots of age on it. So I would have expected something special. Was it?

2 Likes

This weekends wine
Past peak IMO, dried fruit, leather, cedar wood, pencil lead. I enjoyed very much… the wife not so much (Fruit bomb lover)

It’s my favorite wine they made and yes it was special. It always is but I think it’s come as far as it’s gonna go

1 Like