What Bedrock wine are you drinking tonight?

2014 Dolinsek over the weekend. No formal notes, but it was very perfumed and dense with spiced blueberry/boysenberry flavor. Probably past peak given Dolinsek seems to be an early drinker, but it was plenty enjoyable.

1 Like

Anyone have decanting time recommendations for a 15 Bedrock Heritage?

At least an hour and drink over a couple of hours.

3 Likes

Oh my is this good. It actually reminds me a lot of the 1990s Ravenswood wines when they were young.

8 Likes

The most recent one?

1 Like

Sipping on a 2019 Alta Vista GewĆ¼rztraminer tonight.

I really wish this had some residual sugar to it. I really want to like it, but the dryness of it just makes it pale in comparison to many FLX and Ontario Gewurtz Iā€™ve had. A great showing, but it is just not for me.

For many of the Bedrock whites, I have felt this same way. I am just starting to think that Iā€™ll pass on the white offerings.

Yes, the one in last release.

1 Like

Iā€™m impressed, arenā€™t the Teldesciā€™s usually crazy tannic when young?

Itā€™s been a few weeks now, but yes, it was pretty unwieldy - will age for a long time. I just donā€™t mind personally when theyā€™re very primary, but I would certainly recommend to hold it for a bit.

Interesting. The dryness was what I thought made it stand out. Reminded me a bit of the old school Trimbach yellow label Gewurz which I used to drink buckets of before climate change pushed the alcohol way up.

3 Likes

Wine night with friends last night and had some good wines, all 15ā€™s from Once & Future and Bedrock. O&F - Teldeschi/Bedrock/Mataro/Petite and Bedrock - Bedrock/Monte Rosso/Ode to Lucien. Interesting trying these side by side to get a good understanding of their styles. The Teldeschi was bright red raspberry fruit with a creaminess to it that was surprising to me, later that creaminess was turning into a more doughy profile. Both Bedrock vineyard wines were similar to each other with darker fruit profiles than the Teldeschi, Bedrockā€™s version having a perfect balance to it. Neither wine came across as a zin obviously but just as great blends from a great site. The O&F Bedrock was a much larger version, seemed like there were two bottles of the Bedrock packed into the one bottle of O&F, this one is made to age. Bedrock Monte Rosso is my favorite wine from them and this one did not disappoint. Dark, savory mountain Zin, Love this wine. The O&F Mataro was a whole different wine than the preceding ones. Bright red fruit with crazy acidity. Probably should have had this before the Teldeschi, it was the favorite wine of the night with some people though. I didnā€™t realize the Ode to Lucien was 75% Mataro from the same vineyard as the O&F, happy to find that out. It had darker fruit than the O&F with the addition of Syrah and Grenache but seemed like it needed more time to come into itā€™s own. O&F Petite, gave this one a five hour decant. You can feel the sun hours coming off of this wine, seriously dark ripe fruit but with amazing balance for a wine like this, it was carrying itā€™s share of tannins for sure. The pallet was not fully there on this wine right now but that was encouraging to me, I tried one of these a few years ago and it was the most shut down wine Iā€™ve ever had. Literally could not smell anything or taste anything on it, never came around over five days either. After that I wasnā€™t sure what to expect from this but it feels like itā€™s starting to relax a bit. This wine is going to have a very long life. For me the two Bedrock Vineyard wines were the best made of the lineup with preference going to if you want a more balanced ready to drink wine with the Bedrock version or the promise of a better wine down the road with the O&F. The wine I kept going back to though was the Monte Rosso. I get the felling that Bedrock is making great wines that will age into something special while O&F is making wines for your kids kids. Given the recent experiences with some Ravenswood library wine I feel he is well suited for the job.

Finished the night with a 2001 Ridge Petite Sirah Essence, no sign of age on this except the horrendous label. Thought this would be more sweet but it somehow managed to not be cloying. First time with this wine, donā€™t think I would hunt any down but if I found it on a shelf somewhere I would pick a few up.

12 Likes

Wow, killer tasting Rob, thank you for writing that up! Especially helpful as i literally have all of those wines, including the Ridge, ha!

And i 1000% agree on O&F being built for the super long-haul. I have wines going back to the first release (14) and i always want to open oneā€¦but then i ultimately grab something else as i just know theyā€™ll be way better down the road.

Cheers!

2 Likes

You should definitely try both versions of Bedrock Vineyard together sometime, having them in context with each other is worthwhile. I was surprised with how similar both wines were on the nose. You get a good feel for what Joel is going for, felt like a good reason to open one.

3 Likes

92 degrees F in Connecticut in April, so itā€™s gotta be a rosĆ©.

4 Likes

What did you think? CT notes have read disappointing.

1 Like

I havenā€™t read the CT notes, but I enjoyed it. I prefer the Lulu, but my favorite RosĆ©s are all based on MourvĆØdre.

On a 90+ degree evening I appreciated the extra zing that Zin gives over MourvĆØdre.

4 Likes

Thank you.

1 Like

Popped open a 2021 Gambrels of the Sky over the weekend. Didnā€™t take down TNs, but it was showing really good with a 2 hour decant.

4 Likes

Not sure why people were disappointed. My two bottles were very enjoyable.

2021 Bedrock Wine Co. Ode to Denise - USA, California, Sierra Foothills, Amador County (12/16/2022)
Faint color, mix between orange and salmon. White flowers and stone fruit on the nose. On the palate, more of the same fruit, just a hint of zin spice, and a pleasant streak of citrusy bitterness. Good structure, medium plus acidity, medium body, medium alcohol. Ready to drink now, but has years ahead - did not observe much difference on day two. Like the wine, and the story behind it even more.

4 Likes

Had my last 2010 Pagani. Continues to be a wonderful wine that appears to have plenty of time left.

@Rich_Brown

2 Likes