Bedrock Spring Release - Tuesday Feb. 8, 2022

Per Bedrock’s Winter 2021 Release notes, the 2020 “Pato Vyd red wine includes a greater proportion of Mourvèdre, though less Petite Sirah, compared with prior vintages.

Turley’sDuarte Vyd” Zinfandel and Bedrock’sPato Vyd” red wine include Zinfandel fruit from the “Mori Vyd”, a 5 1/2-acre block of vines planted in the 1940s a few yards northwest of the “Pato Vineyard” (planted c.1896). Both the “Mori” and “Pato” vineyards are owned by Contra Costa Water District.

Generally speaking, wines from this Contra Costa County site often are full-bodied (with the exception of perhaps Fine Disregard’s vineyard-designated Mataro).

Bedrock Wine Conversations podcast:
“Episode #24 - 2021 Winter Release”
November 7, 2021

50:51: 2020 “Pato Vineyard” Heritage Wine

Historic Vineyard Society profile: “Pato Vineyard”

Agreed on both points. I’ve thought since getting on the inaugural list that they release one year too early, but as a start up winery, I totally understand why they needed the early infusion of money. The onus is definitely on us do use patience, which is often difficult with these delicious wines. That Bedrock OV Zin is the perfect for California wines. And frankly, on release, it generally shows better than the heritage wines.

I am excited that the Bedrock crew have decided to create anotherWedding Cuvee” from Sonoma Valley’s heavyweights.

The “Evangelho Vyd” Carignan is intriguing, to be certain, but it reminds me of a particular Bedrock Instagram post:

“Start of Carignan harvest at ‘Evangelho’. Picking historically light crop for ourselves, Ridge, Neyers and Desire Lines. Not sure if a lot of these vines will make another year without some winter rainfall as we have had less than 5” the last two winters combined. Precious bounty to be sure.”

I suppose that the “Enz Vyd” Cab Pfeffer will be available in miniscule quantities.

I have heard tremendous things about the Sonoma Valley Sauvignon Blanc.

Finally, it’s a bold move for the son of Mr. “No Wimpy Wines” to bottle a WHITE ZIN!

Sorry for the thread drift, but have you opened a 2010 Pagani recently? Been eyeing those lately but its been a bit since I’ve checked in.

Last time I had one was April 2020. It was fantastic on PnP but I noted that I felt it had plenty of time left. I have one left. Think I will wait at least another year to open it.

Awesome Steve - thank you! I’ll plan to do the same. [cheers.gif]

Hopefully this version is less allocated… I couldn’t even get a bottle last release

1 Like

Has anyone opened at 2018 Wedrock yet?

I have one bottle so don’t have the luxury of checking in. I’ll certainly grab one of those if offered to complement the rose and SB I usually buy from this release.

Which one is the white zin?

Ha, duplicate WedRock post…

Esola Vineyard. Supposed to be in a later release, not this one.

Inevitably, I’ll order what looks like too much Lulu and Sauv Blanc (along with some of the heavyweights) and by mid summer I’ll be asking myself “why didn’t you order more Lulu and Sauv Blanc”?

1 Like

I’m a slow learner. I under-order the Ode to Lulu every year.

Having a second rosé offering in the fall will undoubtedly help. I’m glad they’re splitting those two offerings up.

Podcast is up. Almost 2 hours!

4 Likes

Just in time for my drive to pickup wines from two Oregon BD participants!

Fall release, according to Morgan.

I adore the release podcasts.

That sounds idyllic! I listened to the episode with Will Bucklin somewhere in the middle of a drive between Southern California and Santa Cruz – nice way to pass the time.

I believe Rich Brown got a shout out on the podcast! also a mention of Berserkers from Morgan.

Doing a little mental math and I’m having a hard time figuring out how to keep this release to 2 cases, wow a lot of wines I want in this one!

Yep, I was lucky enough to get two bottles. Great wine now, might improve a bit. Word of advice, I held onto a certain bottle for a long time and opened it up on my Birthday yesterday. It was shit. The bottles I had ten years ago were better. Not everything improves with age.