What Bedrock wine are you drinking tonight?

What did you think? CT notes have read disappointing.

1 Like

I haven’t read the CT notes, but I enjoyed it. I prefer the Lulu, but my favorite Rosés are all based on Mourvèdre.

On a 90+ degree evening I appreciated the extra zing that Zin gives over Mourvèdre.

4 Likes

Thank you.

1 Like

Popped open a 2021 Gambrels of the Sky over the weekend. Didn’t take down TNs, but it was showing really good with a 2 hour decant.

4 Likes

Not sure why people were disappointed. My two bottles were very enjoyable.

2021 Bedrock Wine Co. Ode to Denise - USA, California, Sierra Foothills, Amador County (12/16/2022)
Faint color, mix between orange and salmon. White flowers and stone fruit on the nose. On the palate, more of the same fruit, just a hint of zin spice, and a pleasant streak of citrusy bitterness. Good structure, medium plus acidity, medium body, medium alcohol. Ready to drink now, but has years ahead - did not observe much difference on day two. Like the wine, and the story behind it even more.

4 Likes

Had my last 2010 Pagani. Continues to be a wonderful wine that appears to have plenty of time left.

@Rich_Brown

2 Likes

Boom! Great stuff buddy - thank you! Turns out i have 2 so probably time to open one :cheers:

1 Like

Lulu set a high bar on what I was expecting. For me, the biggest issue I have is the thick mouthfeel clashing with the delicate palate.

There seems to be an uptick in positive comments for the wine as the outside temp warms up. I am wondering if releasing it as the weather was cooling had an impact on perception. I’ll dig out another bottle once we have a reasonably warm day on the coast.

1 Like

“Thick mouthfeel” bears no relation to what I drank.

1 Like

It’s been a few months since I’ve had ode to Denise but I remember it being pretty drinkable, refreshing and overall pretty tasty. Definitely didn’t have a thick mouthfeel.

Sounds like it has evolved. I noticed on the last bottle I opened that it was starting to thin out some. That was when I made the decision to bury them and give the remaining 3 bottles time.

“Thick mouthfeel” is spot on from my perspective. Last had one at Easter and still was the same. I’ve said it before, it’s not bad, just different. To me, it’s a fall wine.

1 Like

Didn’t occur to me, I’m sure it would be in my tasting notes if it did. Maybe it had to do with food pairing as well. I had my last bottle with harissa roasted chicken thighs (very rich broth with lots of fat and collagen).

1 Like

2014 Bedrock Heritage over the weekend. With the caveat I never drank this wine when it was younger, I think for my taste this bottle was slightly over the hill. The nose was genuinely gorgeous, I imagine this is the “Bedrock perfume” much discussed on this thread… but the palate was a bit flat, with insufficient acidity and mellow fruit. Could be an awkward adolescence and the wine improves when it has a chance for tertiary development, but right now this did not do a ton for me. Felt like a this stage the bottle age had sort of flattened the wine. Can’t win them all!

1 Like

2016 Pagani Ranch Heritage. If you like darker fruited, zin based old vine field blends, this wine would be for you.

3 Likes

Was it open or was it tight and need more time in bottle?

I did not decant and just followed it in the glass over around two hours. It was plenty open for me. I have had a lot of 2016 and 2017 zin/blends in the last few months and this was in the middle in terms of perceived maturity.

3 Likes

Thanks Matt! Cheers

2015 Bedrock Wine Co. Heritage Wine Evangelho Vineyard

I’m always a sucker for this wine. Easily the most high-toned red in the Bedrock stable. So lip-smackingly fresh. Big range of red fruits on the nose, with hints of citrus, florals and baking spice. Love the acidic lift as these candied bright fruits dance across the palate. About to eat some pizza, this will be perfect with it.

(93 pts.)

6 Likes

Has been and remains my favorite Bedrock wine, pretty much regardless of vintage.

3 Likes