TN: 2019 Kelley Fox Wines Pinot Noir Maresh Vineyard

Does anyone know if you order directly from the winery if they will hold until Spring? (I could and will email if nobody knows, but it seems some of you are buying from her and might know.)

Yes. Put it in your order comments. Confirm with Dustin.

2 Likes

I have the following KF wines from BD last year. I’m looking to open a couple for Christmas. Which ones are the most ready now? Thanks in advance.

Ahurani ’15, ’16 & ‘17
’13 Momtazi Vineyard & ’13 Mirabai Vineyard

They are all ready. I say that because KF wines drink beautifully straight out the gate. I’ve drank them from barrel samples to new releases to 10+ years old and they were all equally fantastic. I’ve never had one where I thought “Crap. Opened that too soon.” But she makes her red wines as if they were white wines and believes they should be drank the same way - young and fresh.

That said, the 13 Mirabai (declassified Maresh fruit from Dundee Hills) would absolutely be ready. Ahurani (declassified Momtazi) will also all be drinking well and be a bit bigger than the Mirabai. I have drank through a bunch of all three vintages (a full case of the 2016, so I guess it was ready). The 13 Momtazi is the last one I would drink. You could drink it now or in ten years.

2 Likes

Anyone try the 2019 Star of Bethlehem yet? Tempted to add some to my order, especially as it costs the same as the regular Maresh. Gilman seems very fond of it.

I thought we had established that it is not “regular” Maresh. And there is really no reason the Star should cost more despite the pretty name. [soap.gif]

Sorry, missed that post. So if Maresh and Star of Bethlehem are different blocks, what makes the latter different? Didn’t get to try it when we visited.

Yes Brian, last Saturday. It’s as a good as you could hope for given the past track record of the SoB and the 19 vintage. Dustin called it the prettiest of the 19 KF Pinot and this was a direct quote: “Marsha… Marsha…. Marsha…” [cheers.gif]

1 Like

He is a hoot.

Did Dustin happen to mention to you that Maresh is his favorite block (Marsha…)? All a matter of opinion, of course.

1 Like

The Marsha quote was a very playful jab at the SoB. Yes I believe he did express a preference for the Maresh bottling.

I think we can all agree that you can’t go wrong with any of the bottlings. flirtysmile

Amen Chris - 19 Courey Clone on tap for tonight, I’ll report back.

Marcia is cq.

As in Brady.

As in getting the most attention.

Not necessarily the prettiest.
[cheers.gif]

I have both sitting in my cellar and I’ve been thinking about doing a side by side. But I hope to have the willpower to hold back the Star for at least a few years. I did taste both the 2018 (regular) Maresh and the Star. Loved the Maresh; loved the Star more. If you have room in your cellar go ahead and order a couple. You won’t regret it. $75 does seem steep for Oregon Pinot, but compared to other world class wine it’s hard to complain.

Nice note Don. I also used the word “ethereal” to describe Kelley’s 2019 Mirabai.

[quote=“, post:36, topic:175396”]

Nice note Don. I also used the word “ethereal” to describe Kelley’s 2019 Mirabai.
[/quote] newhere

Yes Marcia - I have watched the BB since I was single digits but didn’t catch the spelling -

I assumed as much. Great line from Dustin. Just explaining for peanut gallery. champagne.gif

Like Marcia, the wines are pretty though.

$75 is definitely at the top of my comfort zone. I love Barolo and Champagne, but I don’t buy Conterno or Krug. You clearly love the SoB and Kelley Fox is arguably one of the best producers in Oregon. You suggest it is a bargain on the world stage, where a top Burgundy producer might sell for ten times as much. My confusion comes from your statement that $75 seems steep for OR PN (even though there are plenty of local competitors in that price range). Why do you suggest that an entire wine region should sell at a discount if it makes excellent, even “world class” wine? I am not trying to pick a fight here. I am just curious about your reasoning on this issue. And to be clear, I am grateful for the relative bargain it represents. I think the days of discounting Oregon wines may be short lived.

I opened the '18 SoB this weekend. To Chris’s point on price/value, I thought it was akin to a Chambolle Village on opening but after giving it some extended air in the glass it really put on weight and depth, more akin to a very good Chambolle 1er. So I think there is definite value there.

I’d also give the '18 two years or more on its side but if you open earlier than that, I suggest you pour two glasses and let the bottle and glasses rest for 1-2 hours. You will be much happier, and if you can be patient for 2 hours, very happy!