Sherry-Lehmann 2016 Bordeaux Futures

Hi, revisiting a previous thread but I wanted to see if anyone else has had issues receiving delivery of their 2016 Bordeaux Futures from Sherry-Lehmann. I have been emailing (and some calls) with them for over a year and have not been able to get anywhere. Most recently (July 21), I was informed that the Sherry-Lehmann CEO updated the sales team that the 2016 Bordeaux would arrive “sometime in August, probably around the 2nd week, though we will let you know around the end of the 1st week of August the status of your order”. I, of course, had to check in but my subsequent emails have gone unanswered…
Anyone else encountering a similar level of service from Sherry-Lehmann?
Paul D_o_n_n_e_l_l_y

1 Like

Best of luck

this is never a good sign. bdx wines are rarely difficult to source. i would alert your cc company now because the charge is likely a few years old at this point.

i would also be firm with SL and start the conversation of them buying the wines on the market in order to fill yours.

Coincidence that John Fox was paroled?!?

1 Like

The irony is that I went with very established retailers after the Premier Cru debacle

1 Like

Paul, what wine did you buy and when did you place your order with them?

1 Like

Hi Jeff,
I bought bottles of 2016 Lynch Bages, Leoville Barton, Grand Puy Lacoste, Malartic Lagraviere and Cantenac Brown, all on the same date in November 2019…

Order is from 2019 so I don’t think my CC is going to be able to cancel that charge. I’m thinking of filing a report on Sherry-Lehmann to the NY attorney general, department of consumer fraud…

3 Likes

Maybe, maybe not. You never know until you try. Emphasize as much as you can that you are contesting the charges within a reasonable period after expected/promised delivery as opposed to the date your card was charged.

1 Like

Hey all, long-time lurker but first-time poster. I wanted to piggy-back on this thread because I too am having problems with Sherry-Lehmann Bordeaux futures. My orders are for 2015 as well as 2016. I initially ordered some 2015 Clinet, 2015 Hosanna, and 2016 Pichon-Lalande. Luckily, I’ve been told the Clinet has come in.

The problem? I’m getting the run-around when I’ve asked about the 2015 Hosanna and 2016 Lalande. I’ve called the shop a few times and have been told they’ll look into it and contact me. No one has ever followed up. These two orders are from June 2017 and December 2017, so they aren’t exactly recent.

I’ll be calling again today and will ask to speak to someone senior. Happy to start my own thread about this, as well, but I thought keeping things consolidated might be the forum’s preference.

2 Likes

ooff. not a good sign.

1. call your cc and have your options in place. stress that this is a purchase that was / is intended to be delivered in the future so the original purchase date shouldn’t matter.

2. file a complaint with the SLA. at various points, it’s not uncommon for a store to be on COD status. means they were not paying their suppliers on time net-30, which is sometimes done (abused?) strategically, but can also be indicative of cash flow issues. I have no information that SL is on COD and am absolutely not suggesting they are. but it’s something that’s possible.

3. to the above, find out what SL has in stock that you’d take as a substitute today. come up with some reasonable premium for the increase in price since futures price (if applicable) and offer that as an immediate option to them with a deadline. i think how they react to a substitute will also indicate in what position they may be. make sure also that someone in management is aware of you. if you’re local, unfortunately going to the store will likely be better than calls/emails.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for responding! I agree, this is not a good sign.
And I appreciate you laying out these steps/options for me, as I’ve never been in a position like this and haven’t been sure how to proceed. I’ll do some poking around on their site and will contact my CC. I will say that the Sherry-Lehmann selection isn’t what it used to be, from a cursory glance…Might be a symptom.

1 Like

It’s sad to see such a storied, old line merchant falling apart here. If the vendor can’t deliver a 5+ year old mega production Pichon Lalande, that’s not a supply chain glitch / shipping issue – that’s a ‘they don’t have the money to pay prevailing prices’ issue. Whatever monies were collected for futures orders were (likely) burned up on expensive rent in a city where many big spenders had temporarily departed.

given what we know and don’t know, what you wrote is irresponsible. trust but verify, sure. but throwing unfounded and dangerous accusations isn’t helpful.

1 Like

I’ve just spoken to someone there–they did not transfer me to someone when I asked to speak to Sr. Management but said that everyone has been told their 2016 futures orders would arrive in October. The person I spoke to said she was “shocked” that my 2015 order hadn’t arrived yet. Of course, that does me no good. I was assured the matter would be “resolved” in the next day or two. I’ll give them till tomorrow-ish before escalating.

2 Likes

Unrelated to wine, I had an extended dispute against a vendor who failed to deliver product well beyond the dispute by date. I had to send the dispute into the credit card in writing and eventually got the charge overturned. If they can’t supply the product this is likely what you’ll need to do to dispute the charge.

Maybe The Haggler can help?

1 Like

A few points. Not that it matters, but, you did not purchase futures. You bought wines pre-arrival. Futures are in barrel.

So, you bought a finished product that they promised to deliver and failed to deliver.

That being said, there is no reason or excuse for not having delivered your wines ages ago.

If there is a manager you can speak with, ask for an email stating that will deliver in October or refund your money.

If they refuse, tell them you have posted here and you’ll put it on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter and other websites.

Good luck…

3 Likes

So how do you deal with a wine that you bought prearrival for $200, and is now selling for $400?

Getting your money back from a cc company does not make you whole. You not only don’t have the wine, replacing it will be more costly, not to mention the fact that you have also given them an interest loan, and in this case for several years.

3 Likes

What wine is $400? 16 Pichon is a bit more at $250, and he should be made whole. But the time and cost of collecting might be more than its worth. IF, SL is not willing to do the right thing, what can you really do?

The OP and the other person in this thread deserves better…

3 Likes