Sherry-Lehmann 2016 Bordeaux Futures

Thanks very much, Jeff. I was a bit hasty with the “futures” shorthand. I’ll make sure to get some kind of commitment in writing.

I admit that it stings a bit that I may not be getting wines that now sell for a fair bit above where I purchased them, but agree that a refund may likely be the path of least resistance here. It’s frustrating when you want the wine more than the refund!

1 Like

That’s the whole rub. At the consumer level one doesn’t have a strong written enforceable contract. Whatever fine print T&C that might be on a merchant’s website regarding these transactions is worded in such a way that it’s basically ‘heads they win, tails you lose’.

I don’t think buying these widely available wines EP makes sense.

2 Likes

NY small claims court has a pretty high limit ($10,000). If they can’t even respond to calls and emails, they may fail to put up a real defense.

I know, I know. I admit I’m just too tempted when “great” wines get released EP at prices that are more accessible to me.

May I ask, what price you paid? And did you buy a full case, or bottles?

You deserve to be made whole, so I hope it happens for you

Oh, it was $160/bottle (for a 6-pack). That’s about what I like to pay when buying 6-packs or cases. I think now it sells for $250-$300, which for me is “just a couple bottles” territory. In the grand scheme of things, it’s nothing irreplaceable but it might be the difference between a 6-pack and 2-3 bottles if I decide to replace it. Not the end of the world but frustrating nonetheless.

2 Likes

You deserve to get what you paid for. Dont settle for their substitute bottle. They offered me wine that I had no interest in. They seem to behave as if customers are banks giving out 0 interest loans.

2 Likes

One of the local stores where I’ve purchased Bordeaux EP many, many vintages ago. All delivered as promised, great-looking bottles in seemingly excellent provenance, even quickly replaced-delivered a couple I called in that looked to have some evidence of slight leak. Too bad about the chatters here indicating the operation may not be as uneventfully-efficient as before.

1 Like

What kinds of substitutes are they offering to those who complain?

Given their clientele, I would not be surprised if part of the business strategy might be simply to ignore fulfillment, and wait for their clientele to pass away. It’s unlikely that an executor would be aware of, or track down this receivable.

2 Likes

Hi all, long time lurker here but I wanted to share the link below re: Sherry-Lehmann as it might help shed some light on their financial situation and why getting Futures filled and delivered has been such a problem.

Doesn’t look great for this former institution.

3 Likes

As an update, I just spoke to someone there about my 2015 order and they asked me to give them until Thursday 10/6 before crediting me. Since I am a complete pushover, I agreed. But make no mistake, I anticipate demanding a refund on Thursday.

I also anticipate having to do the same thing for my 2016 order. I’ll update this thread if and when this gets gets resolved. Hoping my experience and the tax delinquency information (!!) prevents others from having to deal with this nonsense.

1 Like

damn, had no idea there were still outstanding. that’s really shitty. hopefully they appreciate your patience.

1 Like

Yikes, a tax lien to the tune of $3.1 million is no joke. Could this end up being a Premier Cru redux…? If I had any outstanding future orders with them, I would be banging on their door every day.

1 Like

I’ve tried the banging on doors and also reported this to the NY better business bureau and NY AG consumer fraud group… Still no response.
Unfortunately, I suspect it is not long until there is (another) empty storefront…

They certainly appreciate the interest-free loan I’ve given them.

This will get resolved one way or another by Thursday, at least for the 2015s. Since they said the 2016s would definitely be arriving in mid-October, I feel like I “should” give them till then before demanding a refund of that other order.

Given the post above regarding unpaid taxes, I would take what I could get for everything (even bottles I’m not interested in, but may have resale/trade value) and never look back.

Your orders are 3-4 years late, and if you have observed these situations before, are very unlikely to arrive. If you want to minimize your financial losses, I suggest you pursue chargebacks with your bank/card co. AND at the same time, try to get anything exchangeable from S-L, before it gets completely picked over as others realize what is going on. You might end up in arbitration with a network (Visa, MC) or with Amex (their own process) over this, but it’s a better position to be fighting with something in your hand, rather than with no money and no wine.

If you have a very high dollar amount owed from S-L, and get something else in exchange, you still run the potential risk of a clawback suit from a bankruptcy trustee, years later as some people found in the Premier Cru debacle.

5 Likes

This is the reality check I needed. I will contact my bank, make a list of exchangeable things with SL, and plan to end this with them tomorrow, in the best of cases.

3 Likes

if anyone affected isn’t local and needs someone to either pick up or accept immediate delivery from in stock items, i’m happy to go to the park ave location (though they don’t have most stock there) or accept delivery here in manhattan. feel free to message me.

i hate to see this shit.

4 Likes