Sherry-Lehmann Master Thread (NY Times Article, Lawsuit, Retail, etc)

Hopefully everyone got their wine before they went under

2 Likes
1 Like

I think i still have 3 bottles on futures with them:) Oh no!!

See if you can swap for something now or take the risk and ride it out if delivery is close

SL has really upped their email traffic. They were sending deals out every couple of days. Now, there are multiple per day. They are trying to move stock and keep afloat. Probably not likely with a $3MM tax lien. Post holiday revenue not be enough to sustain them

1 Like

Really good thought. Worth a shot. I’ll try!

1 Like

Just so the related active thread is cross-referenced here:

1 Like

Take it from me (one of the people from the Sherry-Lehmann thread linked above): if I were you, I wouldn’t bother chasing the store for any kind of compensation. Instead, I’d recommend you go directly to your CC issuer and request a chargeback. I spent a long time trying to get a straight answer from S-L about wines they owed me that were years late, to no avail. Once I contacted my bank and provided documentation, Visa was able to force the store to refund me.

1 Like

I am extremely lucky I got my money back about 6 weeks ago. Thanks in large part to folks in the other thread urging me to get my bank/CC company involved.

1 Like

How did you get your CC issuer involved? American Express is saying they can’t open a dispute beyond 60 days.

That’s not right for AMEX:
REASON CODE 4554
Goods And Services Not Received

One hundred and twenty (120) days from the date American Express Network processed the Transaction, or

One hundred and twenty (120) days from (whichever occurred first):
– the date the Card Member expected to receive goods and/or services, or
– the date the Card Member became aware that the expected goods and/or services would not be provided (not exceeding five hundred and forty (540) days from the date American Express Network processed the Transaction).

1 Like

I called my credit union and explained that I bought “pre-arrival” wines, which are considered “open orders” until customer actually receives the wine. I followed up with them over email with an explanation of how wine futures work and also explained that Sherry-Lehmann periodically assured me that the wines would be arriving. Lastly, I managed to get an acknowledgment in writing from someone at S-L that the wines were several years late. I forwarded that along, as well.
With my explanations and documentation (and some good will on the part of Visa, no doubt), no one ever said my dispute was too old even though the purchases were made several years ago.

3 Likes

Saw this today. At least they admitted the difficulty. “The wine is due in 4 months” answer is shades of PC.

2 Likes

This is largely just rehashing the Post article. Nothing really new here.

As sad as this is, those in the industry have been hearing about this demise for years. They were having real issues in 2019.

I think this answers the original question of the thread.

1 Like

Wow. I am so glad I am done with them.

I was just reading this. I mean, minus the hookers, what’s the difference between this and John Fox? There’s still a chance we could hear about hookers… :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Geez, if they had offered me hookers in lieu of the 2016 Bordeaux they owed me I would at least have considered the deal! :rofl:

In all seriousness, this is all extremely unsurprising. Like @YLee above, I’m so glad I got out and managed to get a refund. Though I would have preferred the actual wine or the market value thereof…

1da3f2af-d7a1-4b7d-9200-f6b8b0f4f33e_text

1 Like

Some very interesting details in here.

None more interesting than KKR buying Mumm Rose! Ha. You would think they would at least go for NV Krug.