SF Bay Area/Peninsula OL - May 21 Bring CASH

George,
I understand.
But my point was I’m open to whatever anyone proposes as far as venue.
Plus I only start these threads - I certainly don’t ‘own’ this group. In fact, this group is incredibly fun, Democratic and fair. Personally I’m less concerned about food than wine and the company.
I always enjoy the group no matter where we go.

Not when Andrew’s there.

Well then we can just keep going to Sole every month! :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

Dan I should be able to join in that evening. As for other suggestions we could go back to Cooking Papa.

Simply wow. Bottom line is that the food at PM’s is weak, though that very attractive waitress made it easier to ignore and thr patio is nice on a warm evening. As for Sole, the food is roundly mediocre to poor (this is not being food snob, but comes with territory of having an Italian wife flirtysmile ) and the space sucks as there is never any room to circulate if we are more than 6.

What continually gets floated is either PM or Sole and everything else gets ignored. Why is it incumbent upon either George or myself to call? When was the last time that there was any effort from any other members of said democratic group to cultivate venues? Over the course of the last two years, I brought in Martins West (good food, maybe tad expensive and the noise level can be difficult), LV Mar (good food and whilst the menu can present pairing challenges, the one night we went everyone ordered the spicy skirt steak…there are more balanced flavors on the menu but there is a tilt towards seafood), and Donato (first time we went I will share George’s view of it being the best overall offline we have had) is solid across the board though seemed to fall out of favor from the time there was the mistake to buy into the upgrade which wasn’t worth the tariff.

We haven’t been back to Martins West in probably over a year. And Donato has been at least 6 months. Cooking Papa was great food from the private kitchen but that also fell by the wayside when Gary Ko idisappeared.

There have been suggestions made other than PM and Sole for the last several offlines which have fallen on deaf ears or the offline gets posted as a fait accompli. How about some peeps googling a city on the Peninsula and see what else is out there?.

I also spread the word about the Iberian place in Belmont who was willing to do a prix fixe but with corkage @ $10 per bottle. Never called him back nor made a counter as there was no consensus. Lastly, tonight was out with a couple of buddies and got into a hallf English/half Italian conversation with the owners of Divino (Belmont) and Sapore - Burlingame (owner Elio was drinking in Divino) and both said we would be more than welcome on a Monday with no corkage. The Sapore owner says he welcomes wine groups all the time and has private rooms…

I hate all of you, but you’re the only friends I have.

Greetings from Washington DC.

I also talked with the owner of Divino a couple of months ago, but never followed through (sorry). They have a private room that would totally work. Sandi and I really like the food there.

I have placed a call into a few restaurants and hope to hear back from them soon. Realistically there aren’t many options for affordable or free corkage on the pen unless as Andrew mentioned a restaurant is cultivated.

I thought the problem with Martins was that they had revoked the no-corkage policy. More importantly, that place is way too loud for me. PM food is mediocre at best, and I’m fine with not returning there - except it was a good venue for us on the patio. I like Sole, I’ve had meals in Italy that were worse. In fact, every meal I’ve ever had in Rome was worse :wink: Maybe we should reserve Sole for months where we are a smaller group, and when Andrew is out of town lol.

Donato got expensive one dinner, I’m good returning there as long as we keep the cost under control.

Dan should get a lot of credit for always initiating these threads, and almost always handling the reservations. I’d help more, but I don’t live up there and have the opportunity to visit the restaurants. If you guys want to do a dinner at the Fremont Sizzler, I can definitely set that up [wow.gif]

Larry any recommendations for restaurants in DC? Going to be there for the 4th of July.

In the past, Andrew, you’ve been the point person with the connection to Donato and Martins West. So please call and make a reservation, and let me know.
I don’t care where we go.

Yes, PM food is ok, but I like the venue and outdoor patio and free corkage.
Let me know ASAP bc I have an email out to them and will cancel if we go elsewhere.

Wes,
Yes Fey Sichuan was pricey, something like $90 per person which double sucked for me since I couldn’t eat the lobster (or any crab/shrimp).

Ed, we just arrived yesterday. I’ll pm you later after we’ve eaten at the places we have reservations for.

The Iberian place sounds intriguing, as do Divino and Sapore. So, should definitely be on our near-term agenda. Should go back to LV Mar this year, too.

Golden Triangle in Los Gatos worked out well. Quite a range of dishes, which made for fun pairing trials. Food was good. Friendly staff. Decent table space. Cost was low. I’m sure some of the northerners might not want to travel that far, but we could go there as an offset date between mid-pen dinners.

I’ll keep my eye out for potential spots in my area.

I’m sorry; won’t be able to attend on 5/21 due to work-related things :frowning:

I’ll join you all for the next one!

I’m skipping this one because Tuesday I’ll be out late, seriously.

What wines are people planning to bring?

I’m bringing 2005 Fleurie “Les Moriers”, Dom. Chignard and 2009 Morgon “N”, Lapierre. There’s some controversy about the latter on another wine board so you guys will get to be guinea pigs. N is the non-sulfur bottling that Kermit brings in.

Hmmmm not sure…01 Togni?