Seattle: WA State Grenache

I don’t know that we’ll do a formal sit-down tasting. I potentially like the idea of putting out flights, one at a time, and tasting through them while milling around and discussing. I’m open to the former if that’s what most folks would prefer. I would assume that everyone here would be capable of pouring just enough to taste and evaluate. Thoughts?

With a walk-around format, the room could handle 15-18 people with smallish pours. In that situation, my guess is you would need fewer stems per person, typically tasting just one wine at a time.

Scott,

Those 10’s should be damn good! 2010 is my Washington vintage of the last two centuries!!

I’m in. Will bring a 2013 Two Vintners Boushey Vineyard Grenache and could scrounge up another WA wine or could bring a french ringer.

I think we’ll all be on the floor before we make it out of there if everyone brings 2 or 3 bottles each.

Brandon, I like the idea of brown-bagging them, sitting down, and splitting them up into flights of 3 or 4 with multiple glasses. However, I certainly don’t want to exclude anyone if it can be avoided and would be perfectly happy with something more casual.

I would suggest/request no more than 2 btls per attendee.

I’ll being a Pierre Usseglio Mon Aieul as I think it’s 100% grenache. Year to be determined.

Cheers,

Hal

Will bring ringer. Still tentative. Will confirm shortly.

Do we want a white starter or anything?
Or just show up and straight to massive reds? :slight_smile:

I will declare a 2011 Maison bleu Le midi boushey to compare with the 2010. Also happy to open a 2006 or 2007 God only knows.

Thanks, Ron. Since you have deeper Cayuse holdings and, generally speaking, I think GOK needs some time (I only have one 2011, and it’s my oldest GOK), would you bring one of your GOK and I’ll bring something else along with my No Girls? I might swap a 2011 No Girls with a 2010, as I agree it’s an amazing vintage.

Mark - I’d say it might be nice to have a shared sipper to start with as folks show up.

Absolutely. I realize I could also bring a Horsepower – though those are still quite young I think.

Lauren and I are in, we can bring the aforementioned 2012 La Rata as well as something else, let me dig around when I get home from work.

Thanks, Ron. I’ll stick with the 2011 No Girls, and will also do a 2012 Latta Wines Grenache Upland Vineyard for a second. That was discussed in the other post that spurred this offline.

Sounds good, Bryan. I think we might want to do a flight with Grenche-based blends to incude La Rata, as it’s got a good amount of Cab Sauv. Should be fun to taste.

Brandon, Thank you for organizing, Chuck, Thank you for hosting. Barb and I are IN for the 18th.

I am having a hard time deciding which wines to bring, so I’ll list a few asking the group for any preference for flight match, etc… then narrow to 3-4 wines from the two of us.

2012 Two Vintners Grenache BLANC Boushey Vineyard. Obviously a bit different, and an opening wine perhaps, but with the theme.
2012 Maison Bleue Grenache Bougeois. To extend that vertical of Maison Bleue wines to different vineyard sources too (I think)
2010 Maison Bleue Grenache La Montagnette Upland
2010 aMaurice Grenache Boushey. To add another maker of Boushey Grenache
2014 (or 15) Block Wines Grenache Boushey. Ditto although obviously younger wine
2011 (or 12) Force Majeure Grenache Red Mountain
2010 Rotie Grenache Little g
2010 (through 15) Rotie Southern Blend. Typically 75% Grenache, 15% Syrah, 10% Mouvedre
2012 Sparkman Wonderland Grenache Yakima Valley. Very possible also Boushey, but not labeled as such.

Take your pick or I’ll let Barb pull a few names from a hat if I can’t decide.

The Grenache Blanc would be an interesting opener. Not had the Two Vintners, but liked Kerloo’s.

IMO any of the 2010s or 2011s would be good to show how well (or not) they age.

Chris, glad you’re coming!

I’d really be intersted to taste that Rotie Little G. Another Boushey Grenache would also be fun.

If there is still room I would love to attend. Currently on the road until the 23rd for a sales meeting but once I am home I’ll look over the stash to see what I can contribute that is different from the others already mentioned. Hoping to unearth a Syncline or something similar.

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

We’ll bring these:

2012 Two Vintners Grenache BLANC Boushey Vineyard
2010 aMaurice Grenache Boushey
2011 Force Majeure Grenache Red Mountain
2010 Rotie Grenache Little g

Looking forward to it!

I’ve been holding off, because I realized we usually go to the Willamette Valley that weekend. It looks like the trip there is postponed, so I’d like to join the tasting. I’ve got a 2009 No Girls, and if the Latta doesn’t arrive by then, I’ll bring a suitable intro white wine.

P Hickner