Seattle: WA State Grenache

I was saying that it’s good there are no Seahawks games at home on the 2nd & 3rd weekends so people coming up from PDX don’t get nailed in football traffic.

Go Packers.

I’d be a likely IN for either November 11 or 18th. I like the idea of an afternoon tasting, ala SWS, so someone travelling a couple of hours can get do it without an overnight if they choose. I’ve done a few of this type with the Orange County, CA crew and it’s more laid back and wine focused with plenty of elbow room than when a lot of food and a sit down meal is involved, imo.

Looking at my cellar I have 18 choices and 37 bottles of WA Grenache. That doesn’t include Rotie Southern Blend which would be another 5 choices and 13 bottles I could add, if the other is not enough. :slight_smile:

My most interesting ones not yet mentioned I think are Force Majeure and Block Wines Golden Block (young but yummy imo), maybe Sparkman Wonderland. Also a nice bottle of Two Vintners Grenache Blanc if that counts.

I’ve done it a few times with Syrah, and it might be fun to do flights from The Rocks, Bouchey, Red Mountain or some other grouping by AVA or vintage maybe. Just a thought.

BTW, what is the address for the SWS? I googled it and there are two wine storages with similar names, one downtown/Belltown. One up near the University.

Chris, Seattle Wine Storage is 9401 Aurora Avenue N., Seattle, WA 98103.

Awwh, looks like I’ll be working those two Saturdays in November now. :confused: Oh well. I’ll be in for Sunday’s or if it starts late on Saturday, but no reason to change for me - I’d imagine it’ll work better on Saturday for the Portland folk.

I’m a soft commit pending date and stuff. Fine with Seattle Wine Storage location.
I can contribute Maison Bleue, Rasa, or Gramercy.

I’m interested, depending on date/time. I have a few WA grenache (Maison Bleue), or I could bring an older Priorat.

I’d prefer the 18th if the day is still up for debate.

If its a date I can make I am happy to contribute an early vintage No Girls or two…

Works for me. Let’s lock down a date.

I had an email exchange with Brandon last Friday and had expected he would post more details here. Since it’s been a few days and people are asking about dates, etc., I will just post it here. He may be making other plans, or the potential interest may be more than our space can handle, but we are willing to host it on either 11/11 or 11/18.

Sent: Friday, October 06, 2017 9:01 AM
To: Chuck Miller
Subject: Berserkers Offline at SWS?

Hey, Chuck.

I started a thread to plan a Berserker’s Offline focused on WA State Grenache. I’d really like to do it at SWS and have either some pizza delivered, or a pot luck style thing. To accommodate SWS hours, I am advocating an afternoon offline to be cleaned up and finished before closing time on a Saturday. So, a few questions:

1.) Can we do this on either Saturday, Nov. 11 or 18?
2.) What’s the maximum number of folks we can safely have there for such an offline?
3.) Should we each bring our own stems, or have you got plenty there?

Any other information or preferences on your part would be appreciated before (if) I make a final announcement on the thread over on Berserkerers.

Thanks in advance.
Brandon Redman

Brandon, either date would work. For a sit down tasting, our table will handle 12 people max. All locals and those driving from Portland or wherever should bring their own stems. If anyone is flying in, we can provide stems so they don’t have to transport.

Pizza works (my tasting group orders Pagliaci, but you can have delivery from most places, obviously. You may want to check with what their delivery hours are for an afternoon event. Pot luck can work, but we do not have any kitchen/cooking facilities.

For those that haven’t been to SWS, you may want to note that while our address is on Aurora, access is off of N. 95th St, 200 ft W of Aurora and then left thru our chain link gate, straight ahead to our dock. Plenty of parking, but other than for loading and unloading, no parking at the dock itself. We need to save it for clients coming in or out.

Chuck Miller
Seattle Wine Storage

Open 7 days a week from noon - 6PM
Closed on Major Holidays

Seattle Wine Storage, Inc.
9401 Aurora Ave N., Building 1, Lower Level
Seattle, WA 98103
206-522-WINE (9463)

+1

Thanks to Brandon for organizing the tasting and Chuck for his generosity in hosting! Nov 11 or 18 work for me. Let’s settle on a date, especially for those coming up from Portland.

Cheers,

Hal

Sorry…was out of town for a couple of days. Let’s roll with the afternoon of Saturday, November 18. I’d like to leave a buffer to clean up and be out by 6:00, so let’s wrap at 5:00. 2:00 to 5:00 p.m.? Thoughts?

Sounds great. In.

Please post wines here or PM me with wine that you’d like to contribute. Let’s keep this to WA State Grenache with a couple of “ringers” from France. I think it would be great to do this blind as well, in flights . I’m happy to be the “bagger” and set up the flights. Also, please plan to bring your own stemware. While SWS has a few, it would be much easier to bring your own and take it home to wash. I’ll supply (compostable paper) plates, napkins, etc. as well as “bagging” materials. I can do a TN sheet as well.

I’d like to declare: 2011 Cayuse God Only Knows Grenache, and a 2011 No Girls Grenache La Paciencia Vyd. I think the cold growing year will show well.

I’ve also heard from John who, even though he can’t attend, would like to contribute some of his wine, Ocelli Cellars Grenache, to the tasting. Thanks, John!

Sounds good - I’m in.

I had offered up a ringer, but lots of others offered ringers too. I did some research on what I have in my cellar to find a CdP that is 75% Grenache… not 100%, but enough to be labeled as Grenache if it were from WA grapes.

Not wanting to turn this into something other than a WA Grenache tasting - I’d be happy to pick something up at retail if needed. Let me know what you think - I won’t be offended.

Bring a ringer. Even if it’s not 100% Grenache, I think we’ll all appreciate the calibration it may provide.

Chuck, what’s the capacity for attendees to comfortably fill that room? I want to make sure we don’t get too big.

For a sit down tasting, the table can handle 12 max. IMO, that’s also about the most number of pours you can reliably get from a bottle (2oz).

Brandon,

With plenty of others offering ringers, I’ll stick to WA Grenache. Will bring the following:

2010 Maison Bleue Le Midi Boushey Vineyard
2010 Gramercy Olsen Vineyard
2010 Kerloo Alder Ridge Vineyard