Seattle: WA State Grenache

Confirmed now.

• a Ringer (since i own no WA grenache)
  • a white starter so we don’t show up and immediately run into a glass of GoK… :wink:

That puts us at 13, which is a good number. I anticipate another couple / few to join later, but we’re about there. A reminder: please bring your own stems. Due to the numbers, at this point, I think it’ll be a taste at your own pace thing. Perhaps we stagger putting out the flights so we’re all tasting the same handful of wines at the same time?

Are all wines blind? Or just ringers? (That kinda makes it obvious which one is ringer? :slight_smile:

Are we bringing food of any sort or just tasting?

Thanks for organizing!

I’m in favor of all blind, given that we have a theme that will permit direct comparison.

I’ll bring some bread and nibbles. Ordering pizza is fine too. I bet no one would turn down a Rhone inspired stew if offered.

P Hickner

Sorry, guys. I may need to back out on this one.

I really like the “all blind” for the flights too. Brandon, if you need help managing that set-up, we are happy arrive prior to 2 to help since we’ll be driving over that morning anyway.

I’m good with Pizza ordered in, or pot luck.

For the latter, I’ve heard a rumor that Smoked Carolina Style Pulled Pork using Hickory, Cherry, and Apple woods works pretty well with Rhone wine varieties. Two 8-pound butts would be nicely done if I start Friday evening. FWIW, the folks in Orange County enjoyed my butt in ~2013 and in that case I was smoking on a Hotel grill. This time would be my home smoker. Cole slaw included as well, of course.

Smoked Carolina Style Pulled Pork sounds fantastic. It would make the event worth attending even without the wine.

P Hickner

All blind for sure. Thanks for the offer, Chris - I’ll likely get there at around 1:30 to set up, so help is always appreciated.

A note on food: there really aren’t any food prep facilities here (I know this would all be made ahead), so I don’t think a potluck thing would be a good idea. Nibbles here and there would be nice, but too much food would be tough to manage. Additionally, we’re going from 2-5 p.m. so, at least for me, more of a snacking time. I think it’s important to have some sort of food, but nothing too big/messy/complicated/requiring of plates/utensils, etc.

Oh that sounds good! We could bring paper plates and utensils since I don’t think SWS has those facilities.

Ooops. I jumped in responding without reading down the thread. I am fine with this as well – and Chris we can do your pulled pork some other time, as I have heard it is delicious!

On stemware, I think Chuck said that they could provide stemware if everyone was just using one glass. I think the problem arises if we do a more formal tasting with separate glasses for each wine. But Chuck can clarify (or when I next see him I can ask).

My plan would be to bring a few glasses for each of Barb and I, then we can share among ourselves across the flights.

On the food, I concur with Brandon re facilities and mess, etc… and will defer to him for the final menu. I got a bit ahead of myself thinking about pork butt on a Friday :slight_smile: .

Just seeing this thread, love the idea, and would like to participate if there is space.

If there’s room, I can bring a 2011 Gramercy Cellars Grenache Alder Ridge Vineyard.

–EricW

Nice, Eric.

Ron, let us know what you find out about the stems. I was planning on bringing some. Based on the numbers, the format will need to be something other than a formal sit down, side-by-side tasting.

I think the pork sounds great: we’ll just use paper plates and plastic utensils if that’s okay with everyone. Chris - you’re coming from over the mountains. You’re sure that’s not too much trouble?

No problem on our end on food contribution. With the desire to do more finger foods, we’ll aim for pulled pork sliders.

In other news I looked for my committed wines this weekend, and wasn’t able to find everything, notably the Grenache Blanc. (See the I suck at CT thread) I’ll look again, or source another if I can find one. Either way I’ll bring the right category of wine, maybe just not everything I had listed originally.

You can note on the wine line-up that I will bring a white Rhone blend from Washington State for a starter. Probably not a Grenache Blanc, however.

P Hickner

I spoke with Chuck, and he confirms that it would be preferable if each person brings his/her own glassware. So if people want more than one glass to try side by side comparisons, plan accordingly!

I found a replacement for my missing presumed drunk Two Vintners Grenache Blanc, same vineyard different producer and year.

2015 Syncline Grenache Blanc Boushey

We’re a little over a week away and I’m really looking forward to it.

Question: I have an idea of how I’d like to arrange flights, but I’d also like some feedback from you all. Should I post proposed flights here, or keep it totally blind?

I’ll be there and will bring a ringer. My vote is totally blind.

Cheers,

Hal