Official Dryuary (Dry January) 2023 Thread

Welcome to the 31st day of Dryuary.

In keeping with the past two years, I have a Vincent Gamay Noir (Willamette Valley, Eola-Amity Hills) standing up and ready to go. These remind me of a modern-styled Crü Beaujolais from Morgon. Delicious.

Although I might not open it tomorrow night, I am waiting in anticipation. I don’t have story about Carly Simon, other than this song was written while she was waiting to on a date with Cat Stevens, singer of “Morning Has Broken” from earlier in this thread. The bass player in the video - filmed on Martha’s Vineyard in 1987 - is the late, great, versatile Tom Wolk. I’ll save him for 2024.

How has your experience been? What do you plan to open? Let’s keep this thread going for a few days; feel free to report back.

Congratulations to all who have ventured.

Cheers,
Patrick

2 Likes

It’s February! Dry January is over!

I will have a glass of wine tonight, I think.

Another year, another quality ‘DryUary’. I started on Dec 28th, allowed myself a pass on New Years and also 2 ‘cheat’ days over the month for big events. Gonna keep going through Sat Feb 11th with 2 more ‘cheats’ between now and then. So a total of 46 days with 5 ‘cheat’ days. Easier to do if you can drink a little at events. I’m down about 8.5% of body weight, hope to be down 10%. From the yearly high on Dec 28 to the yearly low on Feb 11. Moving forward!

1 Like

That is excellent! I’m nowhere near that.

1 Like

It always feels like an accomplishment to reach February 1 and know it’s been a full month, even if it wasn’t particularly difficult get here.

We are planning to take it another few weeks at least, before a planned celebration mid-Feb. I like to say that Dry January is followed by Damp February.

2 Likes

That’s my plan too.

Congratulations to all! Ended the month down 10 pounds. Don’t really have an urge to drink. Heading to a wine dinner tonight with some friends. Going cuz I haven’t seen these guys in a while. Planning on not drinking though.

1 Like

We’re going out Friday night for my birthday. We’ll keep it up until then. I’m down about 9.5 pounds, and need to drop another 5-10. Next week I am going to visit my mom, so no drinking then. When I get back, we’re going to try to keep it going for most of February. Then early March we have a trip planned to Colombia. The diet will go to hell then for 2 weeks.

Same here. My parents and my in-laws do not drink, so it’s easy when they visit for the holidays.

Columbia? Taste some local wine and report back.

My parents don’t drink, but I can’t deal with them sober!

5 Likes

The month flew by, though I did make a few mocktails that had bitters, but other than that, a dry month. The temptation was there only from the standpoint of ritual and wanting something different than water/coffee/tea. I would walk into my cellar just about daily, just to look at my wine, but there was never a desire or temptation to open anything. My weight is pretty much unchanged, though my goal was never to lose weight, though I suspect that’s because I have the diet of a 12 year old, i.e., nothing but carbs and sweets. I’ll continue to drink infrequently though, really just the occasional work events and weekends. My plan now is to drink a bottle of wine each weekend and stick to that, with minimal/no drinks during the week.

…and Mountain Dew Extreme?

1 Like

Wet-uary.

1 Like

Weight loss is nice, but I’ve most enjoyed the improved mental fitness.

Dry January is like taking away the pacifier from a toddler. It’s powerful to learn you can self-soothe without a pacifier.

2 Likes

Congrats all! What is everyone planning to open to break the fast?

My first is now a small Knob Creek Rye and for tonight’s rib dinner, a Cline Small Berry Mourvedre or Black Powder Cab.

2 Likes

I’ve got a work event tomorrow, so unlikely I get as much of a choice. I have a few bottles of Dehours in my office, so possibly one of those before my event, but more than likely, will have to slum it with some whisky at the bar. This weekend though, I am thinking either Morgan Long 2020 Marine or a half bottle of Krug 169 that has been singing its siren song for a while.

1 Like

During my crawl through the desert, my craving was for a return to normalcy. My current plan is to open a 2019 Baudry “Le Domaine.” Nothing crazy, but I predict it will be the best glass of wine I have had since the turn of the new year.

1 Like

I’ve got a 2015 Blanc de Lynch Bages and a 1993 Von Schubert Herrenberg Eiswein cooling. But depending on what we eat tonight, maybe a EDWC light red.

I opened my 2018 Vincent Gamay Noir. The nose was bursting with powerful, deep black fruits. Black and red fruits on the palate. Easy finish. Two glasses was enough for me. I put the rest in the fridge and will revisit tomorrow.

2 Likes