Official Dryuary (Dry January) 2023 Thread

84% of the way there. Down 10.6 pounds. Making progress.

Howā€™s this for karma though?

Iā€™ve been trying to avoid anything alcohol related so that includes going to the LWS. Reading WB is an exception and looking at the agave and tequila threads alerted me to several producers that I enjoy becoming increasingly hard to find at retail. So, I scoured the websites of my local stores and made some calls. Eventually finding two bottles of the producer I was looking for at a store thatā€™s 15-20 minutes away. I was working from home yesterday, so decided to cut my day short around 4pm and head up to the store to grab those bottles. Mentally, I knew that this was a bad idea on multiple levels, especially during Dry January. But these bottles are rare and getting more rare by the day. And thatā€™s when karma kicked in.

After buying the bottles, I hopped in my car for the ride home. As I was leaving the parking lot, my car started to make a loud noise. At first I thought it was transmission related (fuck!) and then began to think it had something to do with the muffler. Iā€™m supposed to take this car to Vermont today, so I was anxious. I called my guy at the dealership and he told me to bring it over. Got there and he pointed to a hole in the exhaust thatā€™s probably causing the issue. Gave me a loaner so they could take their time and fix the car.

I put the bag of tequila on the front seat of the loaner and drove home. When I got out of the car, I grabbed the bag of booze and the bottom of the bag ripped and one of the bottles fell onto the driveway. Luckily (depending on your viewpoint) the bottle bounced off the top of my foot before it hit the driveway and somehow didnā€™t break. But my foot was throbbing.

Bottom lineā€¦karma is a bitch to the tune of $1500 of car repairs and a swollen foot.

I guess the moral of the story is donā€™t mess with the Dry January Gods.

Bro ā€¦ you got it all wrong!

The gods were shining on you for your diligence this month.

If you hadnā€™t gone for the booze, you mightā€™ve taken car to Vermont and had the problem.

Plus if the gods were truly angry you wouldā€™ve broken the rare bottle not the blood vessels in your foot! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Weā€™re on the home stretch and feelinā€™ good!

Screen Shot 2023-01-27 at 12.14.20 PM

My Dryuary willpower remains strong, but my BerserkerDay willpower has been completely overwhelmed.

Same!

@Michael_Sterling of Franny Beck is also doing Dryuary! And heā€™s both a buyer and a seller on BerserkerDay. The horror. The horror.

1 Like

I ordered the Franny Beck ā€œOpen Letterā€ sixer yesterday, unwittingly showing my solidarity.

The only tough time for me is when I see a post that gets me curious, and I want to go pull an old bottle. For example, I have a Cab from someone who is offering their new Cab, but I have yet to try the old bottle.

Fell off the wagon but very much at peace with that decision.

Great to reset following the festive period, improved sleep, diet (gym and diet I focus on all year round)

No more self flagellation here :slight_smile:

Breaking it with this:

Thanks for every single comment on this thread it helps me every year. Gosh I even bought some Allemand & jamet after having reread this thread

Iā€™ve learned way more about nutrition, diets and body science than I expected. Also what to expect as I get older.

Also thanks @Patrick_Taylor for your musical escapades. I love your story telling style.

2 Likes

We have tried a wide range of NA wines and I can reportā€¦ they are not good.

Thanks for taking one for the team.

Yeah. No kidding.

782 miles on the bikeā€¦ about 100 planned this weekend so will have to really dig in and do some extra Monday and Tuesday to clear 1000 on the monthā€¦

Fundraiser is struggling at $3k/$10k so far, so thatā€™s a bit disappointing. Still a few days left to build on that though

1 Like

Welcome to the 28th day of Dryuary.

We are inching our way to the end, bit by bit, much like newspaper investigative reporter Irwin M. ā€œFletchā€ Fletcher, played by Chevy Chase in the comedy Fletch.

Fletch was released in 1985, the summer after my junior year of high school. Like most kids my age, I had nothing to do and all day to do it.* I would ride my bike to the movies; sometimes I took the reigns of our 'Vette. Chevette.

At the time, I didnā€™t know much about Chevy Chase. I was too young when he was on SNL, and I wasnā€™t allowed to see Caddyshack and National Lampoonā€™s Vacation. I had seen Foul Play and Oh! Heavenly Dog, which were enjoyable but a bit saccharine. Nevertheless, Fletch was playing on a hot summer day and the timing was right.

The opening credits were set to ā€œBit by Bit,ā€ an up-tempo pop song sung by Stephanie Mills. Iā€™d never heard of Mills, but thirty years later, she would be cast as Aunt Em in NBCā€™s live production of The Wiz. (In between, she had had some success on the R&B and dance charts.)

Anyway, sometimes it is best to have no expectations. By the end of the movie, my stomach hurt from laughing so hard. Nearly 38 years later, my younger brother and I still quote it to each other.

Fletch is on Netflix right now. I rewatched it, and, while Chevy has not aged well, the film surprisingly has.

The Youtube video is mostly Stephanie dancing in an 80s way, but it also contains a few snippets of the film. See how many characters you can spot.

By the way, I charged my BerserkerDay purchases to Mr. Underhillā€™s American Express Card. Want the number?

@AMorgan, congrats on making it as far as you did and thanks for reading.

Stay dry, folks!

• Bonus points if anyone guesses the song lyric
1 Like

Made it through Berserker Day, and survived Friday and Saturday nights. Down 8.4 pounds. Going out this Friday night for my birthday, where I will break my fast.

I made it through BD14 and am still going strong. My plan is to have a ceremonial glass of wine or two on Wednesday night and then try to limit consumption mostly to weekends and special occasions going forward. I find that I am appreciating the weight loss (about 8 lbs. so far) enough that I want to be more conservative in the future.

Regardless of what I do in February and beyond, I plan to continue Dry January going forward.

1 Like

I had a late start to it as mentioned earlier but this weekend did have itā€™s moments (had a symphony last night with complimentary wine and cocktails after a dinner at a restaurant with a reasonable wine list). Wasnā€™t too bad though since we had the kids and at least one of us switches to mocktails or sodas in that situation.

I have started doing a second dry month or two later in the year though. Iā€™ve found the resets to be nice and it really helps me keep an exercise routine on track. We installed a tonal last year and if you look at the days of exercise per week you see a pretty clear correlation between dry periods and 6:30am workouts.

1 Like

Brad,

Congrats on your success. This has been my 6th or 7th year doing Dry January. When I start consuming again, I ease into drinking and try to limit it to weekends and special occasions. I usually cave a bit and add in Thursdays after a while. My problem is that usually by mid-Spring, thatā€™s all out the window.

I too enjoy the feeling of shedding a few pounds. Iā€™m still working out how Iā€™m going to handle things this year. But one thing that Iā€™m pretty set on is finding some time in the fall to do another resetā€¦sober October?

94% of the way there. Dry January and my diet survived a ski weekend in Vermont. I stayed dry, but consumed an embarrassing amount of carbs. That said, I only gained four tenths of a pound (skiing burns a lot of calories).

Well, we made it through another night. I spent Sunday afternoon at a twice-delayed family Christmas gathering. It gets harder to gather together, now that my siblings all have children. But my folks arenā€™t getting any younger so we made the effort. Everyone made it but for the Michigan contingent, foiled by a big snow.

Someone decided each family should BYO nachos. I brought keto-ish tortilla chips, however, like @mike_cohen, I too ate an embarrassing amount of carbs. I managed to drive home in one piece and promptly took a 3 hr nap.

One more day. One more day.

Stay dry, folks.