Official Costco Thread

3 Likes

Also, at the Torrance location on Lomita yesterday:

5 Likes

$30 for d’Armhailac seems like a “2019 BDX at Costco”-level deal. I’d be snagging that for sure if I saw it up here.

6 Likes

I missed that. I paid $40 for the '19 at Costco.

I like the wine, but it’s too dang hard to spell.

-Al

2 Likes

Yeah, I grabbed 8 bottles. And added a single Malescot and a single Pedesclaux. Went home, blind bagged all three, and haven’t finished with that tasting yet. One of them is sticking out like a sore thumb as being different than the others (one would reasonably guess it’s the Margaux (Malescot), but the manner in which it’s presenting would never lead me to Margaux). One of the three I’m kinda “meh” on — with my luck, that’ll be the d’Armhailac. Will probably pull bags after revisiting tonight.

7 Likes

Man, id grab one of those so fast!! North Scottsdale had frozen/thin cuts that i snagged a couple of…but never any like this

2 Likes

Honestly, I don’t know what I’d do with one. Would you roast it? Cut into thick steaks? Something else?

1 Like

Would love to hear how you rate the malescot! I bought many of the '19s, but have yet to open any. I’m told the malescots really need time in the cellar.

Either, or!

If I had enough people, I’d roast it like a prime rib (sear, sous-vide at 133 for 24 hours, temper, sear again before serving).

If not, just cut into steaks. $60 a pound for A5 ribeye is great!

2 Likes

Report will be forthcoming. :slight_smile:

Yes, yes, and yes :wink:

1 Like

These were $35/lbs last year and I filled up a small chest freezer, but it’s still a great price at $60 compared to anywhere else.

2 Likes

To ease my conscious and make the purchase more acceptable I would have definitely bought the one that was $239 and definitely not the extravagant $243 package

I would grab all of those Leoville Barton’s if you can. I was really impressed with that wine both times I tried it.

1 Like

Ha ha! Agreed! $243 is WAY too much! :rofl:

Tbh, the roast method is the last way I’d do it. It’s so rich, you don’t need much per person. I bought a hunk a bit ago, ~3.5lbs total, cut it into three 1.1lb-1.2lb steaks, about 0.75-1.0” thick each.

Quick cook in a cast iron pan, came out great. Each steak fed 6-8 people easily, as an appetizer or to accompany the main course.

1 Like

That’s how i usually roll with the A5 as well - cast iron pan. No oil, etc needed. Wild how quickly they cook!

“Honey, I saved four bucks on groceries!”

1 Like

Well, the one that was sticking out like a sore thumb was the d’Armhailac. Dark-fruited and extremely tight — over two days. Really not giving much, although I think the material is there for it to be nice in the future. I was hoping this could be a solid $30 “drinks fine now” wine — it’s anything but. The Pedesclaux and Malescot were both far showier, and hang out more in the red fruits part of the spectrum. The Malescot was my favorite.

2 Likes