Most interesting White Wine in the world…

But we are talking about wine, not people… :wink:

1 Like

If I follow my previous logic of identifying “interesting” with “different” or “new” I would bring up this Dominio del Águila Albillo Viñas Viejas (the one on the left of the photo).

Albillo Mayor is a grape permitted not long ago in Ribera de Duero (Spain) and added for extra aromatics to Tempranillo wines. Very recently some daring producers have started elaborating whites with this grape (must have more than 75% Albillo to be qualified as a white Ribera). And the result is very “interesting”. In this particular case (Domino del Águila) delivering rich hydrocarbon and intense mineral aromatics mixed with tropical fruits and even honey reminiscences. A delicious contrast.

Worth a try if you are searching for something “atypical” (another proxy for “interesting”).

2 Likes

There are lots of interesting wines already listed. While mentioned multiple times I’ll echo others in:
Musar Blanc, LDH Blanco, Aged Riesling & Rhone…but I’d also suggest trying out

Dagueneau (2004 - 2007) - Try anything made by Didier…even if it’s just the desert wine.
Marcel Deiss
Schloss Gobelsburg Grüner Veltliner Reserve Tradition with 10+ years post vintage
Weingut Seehof Weissburgunder Morestein - crazy value play…buy it and age it for 3-5 years for the magic
Beaucastel VV - Stunning in it’s youth and I’ve yet to have an older bottle wow me…but I hear when they are on there is nothing like them.

Fortified whites that should not be ignored…Equipo Navazos

1 Like

Vatan

To make it a trio, I’d add Tiberio.

2 Likes

Like the Grk and Riesling recommendations.

I would also add Friuli and Carso for Italian white wines. In the former you could consider blends but I guess highest on the interesting list are Ribolla Gialla and Fruliano. Both the areas have Malvasia (Istriana) and for the latter explore Vitovska.
Expand that to the neighboring countries and you’ll see that Brda and Karst on the other side of the border is as exciting. Croatia also have as exciting Malvasias.

1 Like

Not surprisingly, this is pretty similar to my list. I’d add Georg Breuer Berg Schlossberg, which is probably the most distinctive dry Riesling I’ve had.

Does it count if it has bubbles? If so, Vilmart Coeur de Cuvee is also on my list, specifically from “lesser” vintages. I don’t think it’s the absolute greatest Champagne, but for me, it might be the most interesting in that nothing else tastes like it.

A couple of examples. Mullineux is one that I enjoyed. And I should clarify, it’s not that I disliked the wines I’ve tried, I’ve just never had one that really knocked my socks off, like the other examples I gave above. Do you have any specific recommendations? I’d love to try it!

Aged Château Simone. They can be really good and interesting 15+ years after vintage.

6 Likes

Yup!

1 Like

Malvasia de Colares

2 Likes

Interesting is an interesting word choice. As mentioned above complex white wines are often far more interesting than reds. Had a 20 year old alsatian riesling the other night packed with interest. Many LdH, etc.

While they are interesting and intellectually intriguing, I don’t always find them enjoyable in the same way though, whereas well aged complex reds scratch both itched better for me

2 Likes

Never had one that old, but the 1995 Brundlmayer Gruner Veltliner Alte Reben I had last night put in a strong claim to be included among the “most interesting” crowd.

2 Likes

You can still find some at a value - I quite like the wines from the co-op Santo - but, from what I understand, Santorini has suffered (I guess) from somm hype and, even more so apparently, climate change. Again from what I understand, crop levels have dropped to as little as a tenth of what would once be expected in a typical vintage, putting some outrageous pressure on the farmers who tend these very special vines. Domaine Sigalas - a benchmark - was once around $20 retail, and now sits at $50 in my market. I think it’s still worth the price of admission - especially w/ age - but the ticket has definitely increased.

2 Likes

off the top of my head, echoing Vina Tondonia Blanco, Musar white, Chateau Grillet and Gravner. Definitely not for everyone, but would definitely include Vin Jaune or Vin de Paille from Jura (Chateau Chalone but others too) in the category of truly interesting. Nicholas Joly’s wines as well?

1 Like

I really like whites with long elevage (both oxidative and reductive styles), they tend to be some of the most unique and “interesting” wines to me:

Nikolaihof Vinothek
Ganevat Vignes de mon pere
Lopez de Heredia Tondonia Reserve and Gran Reserva (and some other Riojas such as Ygay)
Overnoy late releases
Valette Clos de Monsieur Noly
Vin Jaune in general
Some Austrian Sauvignon Blancs (“Fassreserve”)

Unfortunately, most of them are very hard to find…

2 Likes

Albarino
Luis Seabra - Cru bottlings, these are his top tier bottlings and he does them in a couple varieties beyond albarino but they’re very distinctive
Nancleres y Prieto - might be tough to find some with age but I was really impressed at how much they changed/developed over a few days of being open, a bunch of different price points

etna whites - already mentioned, but great. I custodi and terre nerre make good entry-level versions

chenin - been mentioned a few times but styles vary a ton, Ive had some really great and textured ones from Alexandre giquel and inconnu

offbeat - picpoul de pinet, (dry) furmint, pinot blanc - not that they’re being produced in very different styles than a lot of whites, but I find that they have more varied flavors

1 Like

Unsure how to answer… but I would put Tyrrell’s Sémillon Vat 1 on a just about any list, but lots of good answers above!

1 Like

I was scrolling through here looking for this post. It was what immediately jumped to mind for me.

Vatan, BdB champagne if it has to be white grape varieties only, but I think that’s cheating.

Retsina. Some people can choke it down, and I am interested in how.

1 Like