Most interesting White Wine in the world…

Old Hermitage blanc, not only but also Chave — Sorrel, Grippat, Belle, Chapoutier Chante-Alouette

5 Likes

this was my choice too. White Rhone varietals I think go to a place where basically nothing else does.

2 Likes

Yeah, Savagnin Sous Voile would make my list. Anselmo Mendes Alvarinho. Belluard Gringet. JM Vincent Aligoté as mentioned above. LdH as mentioned above. Old Cotat Sauvignon (someone will probably up the ante and say Vatan but I never had one). Old Sauternes done right (Yquem anyone?). Boudignon Savennières with some age. Aged Haut-Brion, etc. Most interesting is pretty much impossible to pick. You know, on any given night…

Sorry I’m not helping.

2 Likes

I find Domaine Didier Dagueneau wines interesting and enjoyable.

Kapscandy Furmint, too.

6 Likes

Totally agree with this, but you have to give them some time to develop. Crazy interesting wines that are shape shifters in the glass as you drink them.

1 Like

I agree and tend to let mine age. However, we drank ‘19 Emidio Pepe at Da Francesco in Rome in Sept, and it was delicious. Not yet a shape-shifter (great description), but already complex and intriguing. So much so that I ordered a case pre-arrival from The Bottle List while we drank the bottle in Rome.

1 Like

This

Ch Cibonne also

FIFY. :grinning:

1 Like

Can confirm. I had this with @Phil_T_r_o_t_t_e_r and it was a pinnacle of interestingness.

3 Likes

I guess “interesting” is very subjective, but two from at least a little off the beaten path (but with my relatively modest budget) that I’ve enjoyed in the last year are:
a timorasso - 2019 Vigneti Massa Derthona Sterpi
a petit manseng - 2018 Domaine Cauhapé Jurançon Sec La Canopée

2 Likes

I love this post and am a huge fan of “interesting” white wines- oftentimes with age, oftentimes oxidative in style. Very interesting white wines that I’ve loved include Rioja Blanco (LdH and Remelluri), top Rhone Whites (North: Chave and Guigal, South: Beaucastel Roussanne VV), Musar white, top Bordeaux blanc (Petit Cheval and Ygrec are both amazing, never had Haut Brion), amber wines from N Italy (Gravner and Miani), aged Sherries, aged vin doux naturel.

White wines that get a lot of love on this board that I personally have been disappointed by:

• Chenin Blanc: I’ve really tried but just can’t seem to get enamored by this grape.
  • Aged Riesling (>20 yrs of age): Occasionally great, but more often than not, it’s a dud.
  • Aged Champagne: hard to find, very expensive, I have limited experience, and not with the top of the top, but it’s been kind of meh for the most part for me.

I should add that I really love Chardonnays from the Sonoma coast: Raen, Littorai, Fort Ross, Porter Bass, Flowers, Lynmar are favorites of mine. In fact, this is where I first found love of wine: Sonoma Pinots, Chards, and old vine field blends. These wines will always have a place in my heart. While delicious, and I love them, I wouldn’t necessarily consider Sonoma Chardonnay “interesting”, in the sense that they are not unusual- typical Chardonnay flavors from the New world with Burgundy sensibilities.

2 Likes

Vina Tondonia Gran Reserva Blanco, Chateau Musar White, Valentini Trebbiano

5 Likes

For some reason I thought it was limited to dry whites. If we include sweet wines, I think old Sauternes or an old top-quality Riesling should of course be considered. 1970s Egon Muller… and how about Clos Joliette…

1 Like

Jura Savagnin. Both ‘sous voile’ and ‘ouillé’.

8 Likes

Have you tried South African Chenin Blanc?

NV Antiquum Farm Pinot Gris Perpetua Album II - a blend of 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2021 vintages - “like pulling apart a well-laminated croissant”, Samantha Cole-Johnson, jancisrobinson.com.

Musar blanc
Valentini/Pepe Trebbiano
Clos Rougeard Breze
Assyrtiko
Chateau Grillet

2 Likes

I did like Santorini when I was in Greece a couple of months ago, and I found it interesting (or at least “different”, which is a proxy) although I also thought it was outrageously expensive (sadly I kept no record of which wine it was. Maybe the stupid price was a thing of the restaurant instead of the wine’s fault).

“Interesting” is an adjective often used when there is nothing positive to say, but you don’t want to be offensive
:grin: