Most interesting White Wine in the world…

Thoughts on what you think it might be?

Not interested in the Grand Cru Burgundies. I’m finding that some of the most interesting wines to me though have been white. It is a pigment I neglected for far too long, but am finding more and more interesting for its range.

I’d love to learn about some more unique wines from the globe, what do you think of to scratch that itch.

5 Likes

Lopez de Heredia Tondonia Blanco with some age. There is nothing like it, but it can be polarizing even among experienced wine drinkers.

21 Likes

+1.

Also Gravonia.

Not quite sure what interesting means here. I’d also suggest Beaucastel Rousanne VV, and Klein Constantia Vin de Constance

6 Likes

Grk.

Dan Kravitz

3 Likes

Exactly yes.

Many would consider white wines far more interesting to drink than red. For a lot of reasons

7 Likes

Quintarelli Bianco Secco is currently my go-to Italian white.

1 Like

I would file roses under this as well, Tondonia Gran Reserva Rosado is as delicious as it is unique. Garrus by Chateau d’Esclans is fascinating as well as they treat a rose like a white Burgundy. Plenty of Galician whites would fall under this as well.

6 Likes

Trebbiano d’Abruzzo. Valentini or Emidio Pepe. Take your pick.

9 Likes

The one Huet I’ve tried with 25 years of age on it was unlike anything else I’d had

3 Likes

Ok don’t shoot me folks but I think that some absolutely fascinating white wines are coming out of the natural wine movement. The trouble is that so many natural wines are irredeemably flawed so it’s a minefield to explore. Maybe 80-90% that I’ve tried have been awful. But I’ve had some real treasures recently that were thought-provoking, complex, delicious, and clean.

One example is the Delinquente “Hell” Arinto from Riverland in Australia. The one I had was gorgeous. Of course people have reported the abominable mouse in other vintages of that wine.

1 Like

I love old Roussannes and Marsanne. The textures tend to be like few other whites, and though the aromatics tend to show off some oxidative characters, the great wines hackve those characteristics in the background with lovely stone fruit, citrus and spice in the foreground.

Cheers

6 Likes

Interesting is always relative, but I say etna white wines can be quite interesting to me.

If you can find it, I recommend trying the Benanti Pietra Marina Etna Bianco Superiore. It’s one of my favorite white wines of Italy, made entirely of Carricante (100%) grown on volcanic soils.

4 Likes

As with Etna white wines from volcanic soils can be fascinating. You might want to try the wines from the canary island Tenerife. Envinate makes some stunningly mineral wines there and they are pleasantly low in alcohol.

6 Likes

Unoaked assyrtiko

5 Likes

The term interesting to me would mean something complex and contemplative, for which I would lean towards something oxidative. Lopez de Heredia is a good shout, though you could also go for Selosse or Chateau Chalon. Don’t know if there’s such a thing as “the most” interesting, but if I were forced to chose one I’d go for one of the latter.

1 Like

Aged Hunter Valley Semillon should make this list.

7 Likes

Aged Trimbach Riesling CFE or CFE VT.

3 Likes

Yeah, it’s a vague question, but why not dance with it a little before putting it down?

I think Santorini can be an interesting white because of how it balances a sort of structure and power more reminiscent of a red wine with bristling, salt-licked acidity.

I think the Cuvée Speciale from Montbourgeau is interesting because of how - just like the LdH wines mentioned upthread - oxidation plays a part in its nobility, and how that seems to scrape away both Chardonnay’s fruit & the topsoil of terroir, revealing something seemingly more ancient and primal to the Jura.

I think the Willamette Valley Chardonnays from Martin Woods, Morgen Long, Cameron, Jim Maresh, and Walter Scott are interesting because they’re astonishingly delicious, yes, but also because their transparency - and that of the winemakers themselves - is together its own masterclass in understanding how winemaking inflects terroir.

Like others have said, there are so many interesting white wines out there. Just start drinking them, reading about them, and talking about them and you’ll find it hard to take a wrong step.

4 Likes

Asking for the single most interesting wine is just going to start a fight but if you are looking for extremely interesting whites, you might track down a bottle of JM Vincent’s “mind blowing” solera aligote.

2 Likes