Mind Blown

Here’s an intriguing and quite brilliant new release from Anne-Marie et Jean-Marc Vincent.

Domaine Jean-Marc Vincent: NV, Aligoté Soler-Al (Mise No1) : A solera system with fruit from Rully and Meursault, from vintages 2018 through to 2021. This is the inaugural release. It is an incredibly deep, rich and powerful white of wonderful energy. There are notes of preserved lemon, ginger, fennel tops and flint. It is unctuous through the mid-palate, seriously salty and loaded with chalky dry extract at the back-end. It is compact, linear and detailed. The finish drives on and on. It sits so youthfully in the glass and should age for a decade or two.

Disclaimer: We have imported these wines into Australia for the best part of 15 years. I hope I’m not seen as shilling here, as I will not have enough of these to satisfy demand, but thought a few of you might like to know about this beauty.

17 Likes

I have to admit that a burgundian solera aligote is a) the most 2023 thing I have ever heard and b) a totally wacky combination. But your palate has never steered me wrong Jeremy, so I bet it’s great.

3 Likes

Same here, this was a real surprise to me. So I just ordered some :smile:

They’ll come over in September or October when the weather permits. Can’t wait to crack one open.

1 Like

Hi Chris,

I must admit that when I first heard about the project I thought it sounded a bit wacky. Jean-Marc blinded us on a bottle back in April and we thought it was superb. Our stock arrived yesterday and we launched straight into it and it is a brilliant bottle of white Burgundy for mine, not just a curio.

best regards
Jeremy

2 Likes

This sounds like a thrilling bot of wine! I need to try :). Thanks for the note.

3 Likes

Wouldn’t have said it was wacky: Aligoté is less oxidative than Chardonnay, and often makes less complete wines - so ideally suited to a multi-vintage blend that makes a more complete wine but remains very fresh (there are new lees every year).

Jeremy’s note is spot on.

11 Likes

I tasted it with Annemarie in June and indeed this is really, really special! Rarely tasted a wine with similar energy!

3 Likes

Thread drift. Any recommendations of a shop to purchase a couple of cases of wine when I am in Sydney next year? I want to buy two mixed cases of Australian wine and have it delivered to our cruise ship.

Been a few years since I bought retail in Sydney, but some good independents who will give you good advice. A couple of these will entail an Uber ride, but why not see the sights and perhaps catch lunch in a historic pub in Paddington!

Best Cellars
CBD Cellars
Five Way Cellars .

There used to be a retail shop (Australian Wine Centre IIRC) right on Circular Quay where the ships dock, that had a good selection but $$$$.

Dan Murphys are a national chain that have a pretty good selection at good prices.

1 Like

Google found Kent Street Cellars but they do not have a walk in wine shop. They do have a varied inventory and delivery is what they do. Anyone have any experience with them? I will check out the others shops.

1 Like

Thanks for the recommendations. CBD Cellars is very close to the cruise port which is a big plus.

Selling at my current location for >$100 US.Does this track your prices @Jeremy_Holmes ? And others? And still worth it? If so, may have to go back and grab a bottle.

1 Like

I’d be a buyer if a couple at that price if I could find it.

2 Likes

A very fair price Joshua. Worth every cent.

1 Like

Thanks very much—I’ll grab some!

Available for 60 to 70 USD in Europe but if doesn’t seem easy to find right now.

1 Like

Fun post Jeremy

What vintages will be in the second release? 2022-25? Or will it be 2019-2022?
What precedent is there for 20 year old aged Aligote?

I could be wrong but my understanding is Jean-Marc’s plan is to take 15% a year and replace with newer vintage. I’m sure Jeremy or William will have more details.

2 Likes

Yeah, as Owen says, the idea of a solera is that you put in what you take out. So the idea is that it will be released every year.

Aligoté ages very well.

6 Likes

Thread drift? Or complete thread hijacking?

1 Like