Liparita Cellars on WineBid

At dinner with my family I’ve now twice sung the praises of the noodle slinging wine hunter who recommended the Liparita on winebid! [cheers.gif]

Anyone tried their '97 Reserve Cab? I know it’s post '96, but given the year, curious.

https://liparita.com/century-of-golds/

A very disjointed history of Liparita, trying to segue from the old vineyard to the lingering but disassociated brand. I am surprised that the Hoopes family did not buy the recent WineBid offerings, as a last-chance library opportunity.

Victor, I wondered if they weren’t the sellers.

The Hoopes family bought that brand in 2006 as non-tangible property for marketing purposes, ten years after Kendall-Jackson bought the entire business, later selling the brand only while keeping the vineyard and physical properties. I suspect that Kendall-Jackson sold the bottles, and cheaply, seeing no business use for them.

Wondering if anyone has additional tasting notes/thoughts on the newer wines as that is all that remains on winebid. Prices are attractive but if it is just ok wine, then I don’t need to clutter my cellar. 2010 Oakville and 2012/2013 Yountville seem to to have pretty positive comments here and on Cellartracker.

We recently had an 06 Oakville and 2010 Yountville, from this same lot. I had thrown in a few random Liparitas into an order; price was right and figured what the hell. We were not fans. The 06 was a massively sweet fruit bomb. The 10 was unbelievably boring. We poured both out. Good news is they were cheap!

After 1996, a no-rhyme-or-reason label.

Interesting - I thought the 2013 v-block was a nice bottle for $30. Sure, not overly complex, but I thought good QPR at $30.

I just looked at my account and I had the 2010 Yountville V-Block, NOT the 2013. I’m going to edit my post above to correct that. Sounds like the 2013 might have been better than the 2010 I drank.

I had the 2010 V block and I thought it was too young-needs time. Came across as more old world than a typical big Napa cab. I am burying my last bottle for another few years.

Any suggestions for alternative shipping from WineBid. Their shipping option is over $80 for around a case of mixed sizes. Thank you in advance.

$80 for ground?!

I called as that shipping price was insane. Given the mix of 1.5L and 750ml, they could not fit all bottles in one case so I am just going to store one bottle with them and ship a full case to me. Price dropped under $50.

Yeah I had the same issue too. Citing dimensions of their packing materials, I was told that a single magnum and five 750ml bottles consist of one case, which doesn’t make sense.

I rushed my magnum shipments before the deadline for un-subsidized rates. Big difference.

I was charged $21 to ship a magnum about a month ago.
About $30 ish for a case of 750’s.

Enjoying a 1996 Cabernet tonight. Utterly complete, rich, delicious, balanced, and warming wine, without the slightest sense of heaviness or edginess. The tannins are palate-coating, but round and smooth. Just a touch of bricking at the rim, surrounding a dark core. Elegant mountain terroir on the nose and palate, woven with just enough livening acidity. Along a very wide maturity plateau. A $20 deal.

Had the ‘10 Yountville last night. Buy it. Licorice, plum and mint. $23 with buyer’s premium.

As the 1996 CS warmed and opened in my glass, the aromatic spices really blossomed on the nose and palate.