Liparita Cellars on WineBid

Have opened two bottles of the ‘96 Liparita Howell Mountain Cabernet over the past week, and both had fills into the neck with pristine corks. Both bottles were shot, with tired, oxidized aromas and flavors and probably at peak in 2002. After following each bottle for several hours and hoping for life, down the sink they went. I have a few more of the 96, as well as some 90, 91 and 92 that I bought from winebid as well. Hopefully the magnums show better.

I am actually in the middle of one such bottle, and it has shown fine, although it was tightly wound and took about three days in the refrigerator in order to bloom. The 1994 and 1995 vintages are better. We had a magnum of the 1996 during Christmas, which disappeared quickly, as did the 1992 Merlot. Sorry about your experience.

Finishing the 1996 Cabernet now. It opened slowly but became quite rich and satisfying.

Had the ‘90 Cabernet last night. A solid wine, more similar to a classic Bordeaux (think ‘88 left bank) than Napa…exactly what I was hoping for!

I got my third delivery of Liparita from Winebid this week. I buy, I open, I enjoy, I buy more.
I haven’t had a bad one yet.

The 1991 Cabernet reminded me of Togni 1992.

Which ones have been your favorites?

The ‘91 Merlot and the ‘10 Oakville.

Hard to beat them, without spending more than $20 per bottle.

Pre-1997, Liparita seems to have done a bit better with merlot than cabernet sauvignon, albeit not a slouch with the latter.

I am enjoying the 1993 Merlot now. Despite the spotty nature of this overall California vintage, this specific wine shows well, offering viscous layers of dark fruit, espresso, smoke, tobacco, and chocolate notes. The tannin has yet to resolve, but is not obtrusive, and the acidic lift on the finish adds liveliness and balance.

Victor, any chance you had their cabs and merlots from 97 and 99? Seems like only 90’s bottles left now on Winebid haha. And any suggestions for their cabs from 2007 and on? I know they probably are more modern compared to 90’s but curious given their low price tags.

No. Sorry. Post-1996 wines were made from grapes purchased elsewhere.

I have enjoyed the v-block stuff, especially the 2013 bottling. Previously paid 30 at WTSO for it and was impressed for the price. Picked up another case at winebid. Has a nice structure to it and the fruit comes from a vineyard with solid bonafides. Can’t complain for $30.

John

Thanks for the note John. Safe to assume it’s not one of those modern days jammy oak bomb napa cab then?

It reminded me more of a Bordeaux than a big jammy oaky napa cab (if I recall the 2013 is 10% merlot). The Oak is not prominent in my opinion. Definitely plenty of fruit (blue/black fruit mostly) but I thought that balanced against more backbone than a typical $30 napa cab. Not overly tannic, fairly easy drinking. Just my opinion, YMMV.

Had the ‘91 Liparita Howell Mountain Cabernet tonight; $32 all-in at auction from winebid back in January. What a fantastic wine…could easily be mistaken for the 1986 Gruaud Larose.

I bought two of the 5 Liter bottles of '98 cabernet a few months ago. Hope it’s still good - I expect my daughter to get married in the next couple years (born in '98) so those bottles are tagged for rehearsal/reception dinners!

Now you know why I grabbed cases of these pre-1997 Liparita wines for a song on Winebid, often around $15 to $20 per bottle, before hinting on this forum.
They were completely under-priced, and have many years of drinkability remaining.

Pumped, got several of the Merlot and cab mags from 1990-1994 waiting for post COVID pickup!

Just have to say thanks Victor just popped my first bottle and it’s drinking very well. 1990 cab this bottle at least was loved for a long time [cheers.gif]