Liparita Cellars on WineBid

As long as we’re on the subject of older vineyards (and where they are now) does anyone know who is bottling up the old chewy Barelli Creek cabernet that Gallo used to offer back in the 90’s?

It was sludgy like motor oil, but I liked it.

Frei Ranch and Barrelli Creek from those years have cracked apart. I tried one bottle of the 1994 Frei Ranch, which become an oddly thin liquid, speckled with precipitate, redolent of nail varnish. Avoid.

Favor the E&J Gallo Northern Sonoma reserve bottlings instead.

Almost none left. Time to go back to silent WineHunting…

I got my Winebid shipment today and popped the ‘10 Yountville V block. For $23, it’s actually pretty good. I’d pay double. I bought some of the Oakville too. Will try that soon. It seems young and needs a decant, but I’d buy more at this price. Deep black cherry, menthol and tobacco.
I dropped 3x this price on Rivers Marie and it wasn’t this good.

I am enjoying another glass of the 1994 Merlot in an oversized Riedel. The wine has opened even further.

Lots of deep blue fruit, volcanic terroir, and a finish redolent of spices, tobacco, and espresso.

Got the mag of the ‘91 Merlot today and popped one of the ‘10 Oakville’s. More fruit than the Yountville, but also some nice tannins. Great wine for $23. Will go years.
I know Victor said the early ‘90’s are the better ones, but I have been very pleased the 2010’s I bought.

The ‘10 Oakville reminded a lot of the Congruence wines. May they Rest In Peace.

How did Merlot show? And for 2010’s, how do they compare to some of the old world style cabs? Curious if the style changed to more fruit driven like other Cali cabs.

I haven’t popped the merlot yet. The Yountville was more old world. The Oakville was all Napa - big and bold.

I opened a 1993 Merlot tonight. While leaner than earlier and later vintages, it is still very nice, with plenty of well-balanced secondary and tertiary notes. Well worth its recent $25 price.

The newer bottles are made by the Hoopes family. Not sure when they bought the brand but I believe the last 8-12 vintages.

In 1997, Kendall-Jackson bought the vineyard, separately of the brand.

Having another glass of the 1993 Merlot. Suddenly very forward in terms of fruit and tannin.

I could have sworn I saw some at Grocery Outlet tonight.

What price?

Don’t recall (or vintage) but GO aggressively buys a lot of wine that is priced to move. I’m not there to buy wine (OK, I did grab a 20+ year old Mount Veeder Cab last year just for fun when I had a crush intern friend staying with me, it was awful) but do a speed run through the stacks to just take the temperature of the market. Great prices on chocolate bars, yogurt, frozen Indian dinners and fresh blackberries… OMG.

Mount Veeder wines from the early 1990’s have not aged well. I wonder why.

Popped the ‘91 mag of Howell Mountain Merlot. Wowza. Cork was almost completely trashed and soaked, but it didn’t matter. A rich earthy red brown color. Still vibrant fruit and a mellowness that can only be delivered by an almost 30 year old wine. I bet this wine goes 10+ from here. Buy it.
EFF8B71B-0DB3-4231-B7EB-8F248B8F81E0.jpeg
18903190-994D-4708-AA94-9282C4EAD1D3.jpeg

I did and so glad I did now that I see your note! Thank you for sharing!!

[cheers.gif]