Fried Chicken and Champagne

Southern fried chicken and Verdelho Madeira is the way to go!

Someone help this man; he’s clearly lost, both in place and in mind!

1 Like

Cheese on the lees or something

Returning to this discussion because we’ve been eating Farmshop fried chicken on Sundays and will go again on Father’s Day. No bread, lots of crunch. Makes sense, because it’s gluten free and, I assume, cornmeal based. F’ing awesome.

1 Like

I forgot to mention that one of my favorite fried chicken places is in Culver City, Honey’s Kettle. Amazing pie too.

Fried chicken is the most universal food, by a long shot. It plays in any culture and climate. It can be featured in almost any kind of cuisine.

There are almost 30,000 KFCs in the world. Over 7,000 in China. Roughly 1,000 in each of Japan, South Africa, Thailand, Canada, Australia and England.

Put down the keyboard, I know there is better fried chicken than KFC, I’m just using that to illustrate the incredible global reach of fried chicken.

2 Likes

My mother used to make fried chicken with cornflakes. I forgot all about it until seeing your post. Was always a meal I looked forward to.

1 Like

A pretty decent fried chicken can be found at Anajak Thai. Maybe not quite up to the hype but damn good as part of a great Thai restaurant meal. Have had it with Crystal a few times. Delicious!!

Try honey’s kettle, it’s insane.

You guys here have all seen my recent post on the TWEC ™ Fried Chicken and Champagne extravaganza, right? Check it out at TNs: TWEC (TM) 3rd CHAMPAGNE AND FRIED CHICKEN NIGHT -- FEATURING HOMEMADE KOREAN DOUBLE FRIED CHICKEN

Now aside from some self-aggrandization :wink:, I jumped into this thread to make a couple of comments. First, unless I am misinterpreting, it seems the majority of you consider either Popeye’s or KFC to be your fried chicken of choice to pair with Champagne. While I would agree that Popeye’s is generally better than KFC, both are IMHO horrendously pedestrian choices to go with your fine bubbles. I would implore you to either make your own as I did or else go a little upscale and find some Korean, Filipino or Japanese, Thai, or Mexican Fried Chicken. A fried chicken from any other culture will do, but preferably from a local restaurant and not a commercial chain. Your Champagnes deserve more upscale than inferior commercial chain fried chicken.

Second, the comment that Champagne is better appreciated drunk alone than with a group as an aperitif where its value would be lost because it would not be fully appreciated. IMHO, this honestly depends on the group itself you are drinking with. Since I invariably always drink wine with knowledgeable people since getting into this hobby, a Champagne aperitif is always appreciated. With a less knowledgeable group like, say, my family who enjoy drinking wine but are not actually collectors or hobbyists, there would still be appreciation but it would top out at “This is pretty good, thanks for bringing it.” I would get them either a less expensive NV Champagne or a good quality Cremant or Cava that they would enjoy just as much.

All this said, is it really that important to you for others to fully understand and appreciate the Champagne that you’ve contributed beyond a thank you? Because you need to know that if it is. Then you can decide what would be an appropriate Champagne contribution to the group that you’re with. Personally, I think that all that matters is that YOU appreciate the Champagne that you brought.

3 Likes

Fried chicken is one of my favorite foods so I’ve had it at a lot of places including numerous places in Asia, various Asian inspired places, Michelin starred restaurants, and local restaurants including throughout the South. A good Popeyes or Bojangles fried chicken (I.e fresh) is as good as any of those. The only place I think might be better is the honey’s kettle and I’m not sure I feel the actual chicken is better. They do have AMAZING sides and pie.

There are some things I think are absolutely worth it and better to make at home, fried chicken is not one of them.

Wut. I’ve lived in Texas my entire life, with all of my pre-college years in San Antonio or farther south, including two stints literally on the border in McAllen. In my 40 years in Texas, I have never once had good Mexican fried chicken. It’s not even a thing that exists here. Wood fire grilled chicken? All day long. Mexican Fried? No.

I’m a huge fan of Korean fried chicken. But I’m also firmly–firmly–in the boat that southern fried chicken is king with champagne. There is no doubt that some restaurants do better fried chicken Popeyes or KFC, which I would agree are relatively pedestrian, but they’re also tasty and extremely available, and I can have them cheaply delivered to my house out in the burbs while my champagne chills.

2 Likes

We have many good fried chicken options in LA. A month or so ago, the X-Pensive Winos did a fried chicken and Champagne dinner where we brought in from some of LA’s best. Willie Mae’s came in first and, sorry Michael, Honey’s Kettle came in at the bottom. But the sides were good!

I agree with John: Southern fried goes best with Champgne!

Fascinating; I’ve never been impressed with any other fried chicken place in LA and made all the rounds. I do think ppl have very different preferences regarding breading.

When I lived in Central America as a kid, I grew up eating a fried chicken called Pollo Campero. I’d always assumed the chain was from Mexico but your comment made me Google it up and, lo and behold, it turns out that Pollo Campero was actually established in Guatemala itself where I lived. It did not come from Mexico which I assumed all my life up until now because all the food chains there came from either the United States or Mexico.

So you’re correct. It turns out that there is no such thing as Mexican Fried Chicken after all. It’s Guatemalan Fried Chicken. Pollo Campero apparently has locations in the US so feel free to seek it out.

No love for Church’s?

1 Like

Interesting, one of those just opened halfway between my house and my daughter’s high school, in the last year or so. Maybe I should check it out.

Certain foods are better in their most basic working class unfancy form.

I think cupcakes from the supermarket box and recipe are way better than the $5 ones from gourmet bakeries. The basic deviled eggs that moms made for the lobby reception after violin recitals and school plays are way better than the gourmet appetizer ones at foodie restaurants. I don’t need orange zest and chipotle achiote whatever on everything.

I’m not saying Popeyes is better than any great local find of yours, but I don’t necessarily agree that one should always reject the tried and true working class versions of everything.

5 Likes

“…some things I think are absolutely worth it and better to make at home, fried chicken is not one of them.” I couldn’t agree more. Another? We made ramen, all the way from the dashi to the broth, etc. etc. Not worth it…better at a restaurant.

Tonight my kid wants chicken nuggets from the freezer…I think I’m going to have to open some Champagne to go with them. Why the hell not? Dad has to eat too, right?

4 Likes

Bonus points if they’re shaped like dinosaurs.

7 Likes