TNs: TWEC (TM) 3rd CHAMPAGNE AND FRIED CHICKEN NIGHT -- FEATURING HOMEMADE KOREAN DOUBLE FRIED CHICKEN

Berserkers,

The Toronto Wine Elitist Cabal ™ held it’s third Champagne and Fried Chicken Night this past Sunday. Fellow board and TWEC ™ members Mike Grammer, Jay Shampur, Dylan Provencher, Tim Burnett and his wife Alyssa Burnett as well as our friend Debbie Shing gathered at Mike’s condo for our third go-round at this beautiful pairing. As promised in my last posting on this topic, I actually rose up to the challenge and surprised the group with homemade Korean Double Fried Chicken. I’ll post a thread over on Epicurean Exploits with the exact recipe and process after this posting and come back to link it here.

So as soon as we got to Mike’s, I headed to the kitchen to get to work on the KDFC while we waited for everyone to arrive. We decided to have a sparkling aperitif to whet our appetites:

HONSBERGER NV CABERNET FRANC BRUT – This is a local Methode Traditionelle sparkler made from 100% local Niagara, Ontario Cabernet Franc grapes. This has really strong ripe green apple aromas and flavor with a slight phenolic note. This goes on for days on the palate and has a really long finish. Really unique, I enjoyed it and would definitely buy and drink again.

While we had this, I prepped and cooked away in the kitchen. This version of Korean Fried Chicken is breaded and fried twice over and the coating is a mixture of rice cracker crumbs, Panko bread crumbs, multigrain flour and cornstarch. Check out the full details in my post over on Epicurean Exploits (Korean Double Fried Chicken -- Official TWEC (TM) Champagne and Chicken Night Recipe), but the TLDR is below. Behold my creation:

CONSTANTINE SOLARRIS BLANC DE NOIRS NV BRUT CHAMPAGNE – This was new to me. 100% Pinot Meunier. It was actually an interesting NV as it had nice if basic red apple fruit and toasty brioche aromas and flavors. What made this for me was a clean saline note at the mid-palate and a really interesting sweet vanilla note that comes out of nowhere on the finish.

RENE GOEFFREY NV CHAMPAGNE EXPRESSION – Crisp unripened pineapple flavors dominate here with a slightly phenolic note on the background. Tart and very fresh.

At this point we sat down for the chicken which I made and served with a Soy Honey Garlic Smoked Habanero sauce on the side. Debbie also brought some Jollibee’s Filipino Fried Chicken along with a side of gravy.

JFFC

VEUVE CLIQUOT NV DEMI-SEC CHAMPAGNE – This seemed to have been brought half as a joke and half as an opportunity to get rid of it. Everyone was ragging on it before we even opened it, yet it was actually the first Champagne to be opened to go with the KFDC itself. I suspected it might actually be a good match.

Not helping this bottle was the fact that it was slightly corky and needed time in the glass to blow it off. Once it did though, Mike pretty much summed it up by calling this Sparkling Moscato. That was both a very apt description and a possible insult as well. It was neither inaccurate nor undeserved. Now it was sweet, refreshing and fruit-forward. Certainly a pleasant drink once the corkiness blew off and to be fair a good match with the chicken. The major issue that I had with this is that it didn’t really express itself as much of a Champagne. Michael’s note was dead on and I honestly would have trouble differentiating this blind from a good quality Moscato d’Asti which would also be five times less the price. So if I wanted to drink a sweet refreshing fruity sparkler, why would I go for this over a Moscato? I really can’t recommend this in good conscience because it’s a terrible choice for Champagne lovers and a bad value QPR for those with a sweet tooth like me given what else is available on the market.

JM SELEQUE NV SOLESSENCE EXTRA BRUT – This is a non-dosage Champagne based on their 2016 vintage. This is quite dry and phenolic with plenty of unripe green apple flavor and a very high acidity. Easily the most powerful palate cleanser of all the bubblies so far at this point of the night. Might’ve been my WOTN but for something else that came along later.

TSARINE NV CUVE ORIUM BRUT – I’ve loved every Tsarine vintage Champagne I’ve ever tried including at the last iteration of this event. This just went on discount here at the LCBO due to low sales and I picked up a bottle hoping that this would be a worthwhile bargain as I usually don’t pick up NV Champagne but was willing to try this out and see if it was worth stocking up on. This has pleasant green apple flavors, very light toast and high acidity. The body and mousse, however, noticeably dissipate very quickly on the palate which was a little concerning. Overall, though, this is pretty good and certainly worth it if you can get it for a low price. Here at our LCBO, it dropped to $CDN 68.25 which translates to just under $50 US. Definitely worth it IMHO and I’ll think about grabbing another bottle or two.

BILLECART-SIMON 2009 BRUT – Per the Internet, this is the first vintage in which Billecart-Salmon used Pinot Meunier as part of their blend. This was a crisp refreshing apple orchard in a glass. The apple fruit gets stronger and stronger in the glass as it warms up but this never becomes cloying thank to the high acidity and fine body. Easy WOTN and a great match with the chicken.

** MYSTERY SPARKER ** – We had a mystery sparkler show up. This one is crisp, lightly toasty, and has nice fresh apple fruit flavors. Body dissipates quickly but so did the Tsarine’s and nobody complained. In fact, they were both really quite similar to each other.

Revealed as the Tawse 2013 Spark Blanc de Blancs. This is another local Niagara, Ontario sparkler and it punches well above its weight. Again, it very nearly matched the Tsarine and I certainly would not have pegged it a local sparkling wine.

LAURENT PERRIER 2008 BRUT – This came off as off-dry and refreshing to me, though no particular note stood out to me personally. It was a good palate cleanser to get us ready for the dessert course.

For dessert, we had some gourmet chocolate covered strawberries:

CHATEAU SUIDIRAUT 2019 SAUTERNES – All botrytis tingle all the time all the way through from beginning to very end of this one which made it really fun to drink. Classic dried pineapple and sweet creme brulée flavors that are quite strong due to its youth. A delicious treat and a great argument for drinking Sauternes in its youth. Very complimentary to the chocolate covered strawberries as well.

DUVAL-LEROY NV BRUT RESERVE – This had the great disadvantage of being both rather average and also the final bottle to be opened. It’s very much in the Riche style and now that I think about it, it was really the only one as all the other sparklers came off as to me as the Modern Lean style. This was by the far the toastiest of all the Champagnes with the brioche completely dominating the sweet red apple flavors. We really should have had this earlier for two reasons: it wasn’t a good match with dessert and came off as average or less after the higher end Champagnes we had already had.

ERADOUR 22 YO HIGHLAND OLOROSO CASK SINGLE MALT SCOTCH WHISKY – If you read my reports on our latest Weekend at Berto’s event, you know that whisky tastings to end the night are rapidly becoming a tradition for us. This is a sweet whisky with high heat and a slight citrus note on the palate. Good stuff.

GLEN SCOTIA DOUBLE CASK CAMPBELTOWN SCOTCH WHISKY – This no age statement whiskyh is matured in first fill bourbon barrels before being finished for 12 months in PX sherry casks. It has a salty sweet taste on the palate and high heat to go with it.

Well, that was a fun evening. I look forward to staging the next iteration of this event soon.

9 Likes

Well done and thank you for sharing! Going to look at the chicken now…

1 Like

Thanks for the amazing pics and for the notes, Tran. I should keep that pic of me as seen through the Zalto camera filter :slight_smile:

WB member Dylan Provencher was also a welcome addition to join me, Tran, Jay, Debbie, Tim and Alissa. Another fun night, I am eternally indebted to Leslie Fisher for introducing me to this concept many years ago—thank you, Fish!

I opened the Honsberger NV Cab Franc Brut as an amuse-bouche for the cheeses and bread/crackers I’d put out. I didn’t get any green apple–more bitter cranberry and crabappley for me but absolutely am onboard with Tran’s ID of phenolic here, almost to the level of a vermouth or bitters maybe. A curious cat…I do have one more and I’ll age that out a bit, but may not buy too many more of these.

Much thanks to Dylan for bringing the Constantine Solarris BdN Brut, all Pinot Meunier, disgorged in 21 with 3 years on the lees. This had some cut and was really red-fruited for me. I quite liked it, different and playful champagne.

The Rene Geoffroy NV Expression fits squarely in the quaffable category—decent mousse and easy-drinking with apple and lemon playing around. It was a good match with the fried chicken.

Veuve Cliquot Demi-Sec NV was my first-ever try of this cuvee of theirs. It has its level of fun, but I really do have to say—it was a very good Moscato, but I didn’t get any hint or feel of champagne here :slight_smile: I also myself never picked up any corkiness, but I have become (perhaps unfortunately) very disabled in this regard.

I poured the J.M. Seleque NV Solessence Extra Brut and found it quite rewarding for the price tag. Lemon and lime notes do whirl around a strong, lean frame with powered acidity and dashes of salt hither and yon. I won’t complain for C$65 per.

Very happy to try the Tsarine NV Cuvee Orium This was admittedly not up to the standard of the excellent 2006 vintage cuvee, but it had the hallmarks of the house style, with fainter versions of the brioche/lemon/apple peel and minerality in evidence.

Much thanks to Tim for bringing the 2009 Billecart-Salmon Brut which earns him forgiveness for the Veuve! First sniff and first taste, this was really shining tonight. Elevated level of freshness and apple and pear expressiveness. Debbie commented that it put on weight a little later and then deepened and integrated further with time. It never did seem heavy to me, just downright licklicious. My WOTN

Debbie then presented us with the 2013 Tawse Spark BdB, another Ontario sparkler, as a semi-blind (she’d mentioned to me what she was bringing and the others quickly took off Mr. Socko :grinning: This showed a nice level of maturity and is rather settled now, but still with good authenticity and depth. 2013 really was the year for sparkling in this Province, and I don’t think any year since has come up to that level.

2008 Laurent Perrier is such a consistent offering. One can only be thankful to imbibe the elegance and suave impression you get with this. Exciting? World-beating? No, not that, but there’s something to be said for refined mousse, toast and binned apple flavours and curly mouthfeel—unlike Tran, I found the acidity is accentuated just a bit more than usual due to the vintage. Enjoyable again and may have snuck in as my #2.

Duval-Leroy NV Brut Reserve was a half-humourous bring by Dylan. Previous efforts have been, erm, unremarkable. This time was different. Again, not going to win any showstopper awards, but this was eminently drinkable and easily the best bottle of this house that I’ve tried (doesn’t give a disgorgement date, sorry).

2019 Chateau Suduiraut

On a whim, I decided to open a halfsie of this to go with the strawberries. Although there are hints of vanilla and orange, this is a botrytis monster right now. I have rarely had a Sauternes where the botrytis was this primary and it is rather intriguing to taste something like this. I’ve left it in the fridge for a couple days (yes, I will breach the Kosher-for-Passover laws to sip at it) and we’ll see what happens here.

I provided the whiskies. The Edradour is a powerhouse and a half. This one is not the PX finished versions that are out there.

Mahalo to all for their wonderful laughter, joie de vivre and companionship

Mike

1 Like

Glen Scotia Double Cask is my ideal whisky. And I didn’t know Edradour made a 22 yr. I’ve only had the 10, which I quite liked.

Plus Plus for the chicken recipe thank you!

1 Like

we’re getting a little off-track, but since you’ve made note, Patrick… :slight_smile:

Both whiskies are from my cabinet. Here are my notes on the 22

22 Year Edradour . Distillery bottling from 1999, Oloroso cask, 55.8%, a small batch with just over 1,300 bottles. I have missed Edradour in my cabinet for 10 years now. This arrived a few hours ago and I, um, Pobega-ed it. Nose is full of pit fruits, some cured tobacco and actually a little truffle.

I have not used this descriptor for wine or scotch before, but this stuff is…bitchen’. It’s sweet and penetrating, but also with a true earth and sweetmeats thing going on, and even a hint of char? It is strong, strong stuff. I do like it–plenty—but it’s not what I expected from my long-ago memory. Still, 8-9 (out of 10). This will be a fun one to enjoy over the next few years.

1 Like

corky gets worse with air, doesn’t blow off. Must have been musty.