De Negoce offer (Part 2)

So tempting. However, I’m wary of 2020 and smoke taint. Went to a well-known winery west of Paso Robles last week and I wondered if it was a coincidence when their 2020 pinots and Syrah had the same smoky note running through all of them.

2 Likes

Yes, I’d be curious for a comment on this particular concern.

Cam will be on soon to say: No smoke taint, I promise!

2 Likes

Bacigalupi Vineyards?

The Bacigalupi’s gained recognition as growers during the 1976 Paris tasting when the 1973 Napa Valley Chardonnay from Château Montelena with Bacigalupi fruit triumphed over many acclaimed French wines….

1 Like

If I understand correctly, Bacigalupi Vineyard belonged to Russian River Valley appellation not Dry Creek?

Hmm… you’re right. But I can’t think of another snoopy-rhyming winery.

Qupe.

they don’t make zin

I would be shocked if Joel sold his wine to de Negoce. Why would he?? He does just fine with his mailing list.

…then again, i can think of one very distinct reason why he might not want this 2020 fruit. In which case, i have zero interest in this wine.

6 Likes

That’s kinda what I’m thinking. Hope @Cameron_Hughes chimes in.

2 Likes

I imagine you’re right. But everything else fits. At this point, I’m hoping I’m wrong.

1 Like

Passalacqua 2020 Bacigalupi Zinfandel?

From Cams email: aged in 33% new French oak

From Passalacqua page: Fourteen months in 100% French oak, one-third new

“Grapes from their (Bacigalupi) vineyard played a role in the turning point of how the world viewed wines from California. Their Chardonnay grapes made up 40% of the wine that won the famed 1976 Paris Tasting where Chateau Montelena’s Chardonnay triumphed over many acclaimed French wines.”

3 Likes

Nice sleuthing! $50 wine.

Yah I mean what is he gonna say?

“Phew, I was worried someone would ask this. Likely tainted but still delicious!”

That doesn’t mean I don’t trust him, I do 100%. But there really should be no concerns about taint w/ any wine Cam sells.

3 Likes

For $12/bottle I’m willing to gamble that.

2 Likes

Definitely Bacigalupi, but the whole Dry Creek/RRV isn’t adding up. Did he mix up his copy or perhaps he was just misinformed?

> The Bacigalupi Vineyards are in the northernmost portion of the Russian River Valley, closest to the town of Healdsburg and the Dry Creek Valley

Yeah, I’m in, too.

2 Likes

Passalacqua is a dry creek winery so I’m sure he just messed that part up.

Williams Selyem has a note that the vineyard was harvested a few days before the fire.

I already bought.

4 Likes

This could be MACDONALD’s super secret Zin that nobody knows about and I’m still not buying.

1 Like

I am in for a case as it is well worth the risk.