De Negoce offer (Part 2)

Two really interesting articles…

4 Likes

For sure the next 18-24 months will be high tide for the glut.

Case in point, China has recently agreed to reopen its people availability’s to Australian wines ( it’s how their system works)…With 1.5 billion people it doesn’t take much intake to pull in a tonne of wines.

2 Likes

I’ve heard Cam is coming back and making dN great again.
Is that true @Cameron_Hughes?

2 Likes

April 1st, folks. Unfortunately :frowning:

2 Likes

A second realization that I took away from the articles shared by JDutco is that there are a large number of wines that use upwards of 20% juice sourced from LOW COST COUNTRY. I would assume this places a unique challenge to the winemaker. Imagine some (many) of these wineries in which there are strategies of the winemaker combine with the desires of the owner, and the constant feedback from the accountant . I bet that there are more than a few accountants communicating that on some plots in California, there may be better potential profit in strawberries or onions. If you want gray hairs, become a wine maker.

2 Likes

I suppose this is tangentially related, but barely. If you read the article, all of the bulk wine is being brought in by the giants, Constellation, Gallo, etc., for their grocery store labels. Nearly all of the DN offers note 100% CA AVA, estate vineyards, etc., so unless they are flat out lying, none of this is being blended into DN wines. There in another thread already dedicated to this topic so maybe continue the speculations there. Thanks.

https://www.wineberserkers.com/t/eye-opening-viewpoint-from-lodi-on-foreign-bulk-wine-sold-under-california-labels

4 Likes

Popped a 446 (good). Looks like new corks. Says “THE FUTURE OF WINE” on them.

3 Likes

I literally just got my lot 446 today and have stowed it away for awhile. What about bottle shock? Quite a number of members here have opened bottles soon after bottling and reported that they were very good. It makes me wonder if bottle shock really exists in all bottled wine or just occasionally.

1 Like

Check the weight of the wine bottle. If the bottle is much lighter than normal, there is an increased likelihood the wine is “Blue Bin.”

My experience with bottle shock is that it takes a day or 2 to set in. Arrival date is generally good for consumption.

2 Likes

Didn’t feel any different - also it’s not a twist off.

1 Like

Has anyone tried 409?

1 Like

Also wondering. People didn’t like this offering back in Aug and I think very few bought.

1 Like

Has anyone had 409 yet? The write up says similar to 17.

1 Like

Referring to the question of Bottle Shock, I turn this back over to past notes from Cameron Hughes who answers this more in terms of when the wine was bottled rather than the physical aspect of wine transport:

Bottle Shock: Wine is stored in either barrel or tank in an oxygen-free or “reductive” environment. When wine is transferred from tank/barrel to bottle, it picks up oxygen which creates compounds that act like a layer or blanket on top of the wine, muting its flavors. As well, filtration can break up phenolics that then need to coalesce again in the bottle. So, depending on the wine, getting through bottle shock takes anywhere from 4-6 weeks for light whites to 3-4 months for big reds.

While red wines take longer to move through bottle shock, high-quality reds that will age well also benefit from additional time in the bottle to develop mid-palate complexity and bottle bouquet. A good rule of thumb for high-quality Napa Cabernet is a good year in bottle before opening. Certain vintages, like Napa Valley Cabernet in 2013, are powerfully structured and are significantly benefited by 3-4 years in bottle. It doesn’t mean you can’t drink and enjoy them before then; however, you are likely missing out on considerable complexity and approachability by not doing so.

4 Likes

I bought 6 at the original offer. I opened one a few months ago and it was way too early. Saw the offer today and pulled another from the cellar. Ran it through an aerator a gave it a try. Super dark in glass, tooth staining purple. Hint of the black cherry and toffee on the nose. The description of it being big and chewy is pretty spot on. Its still young and should be ever better with more time in the bottle. I have not had lot 17 so i cannot compare the two. In for another case.

4 Likes

Thank you. In for 409! Had lots of points to use.

3 Likes

Do you happen to know the approximate bottling date? I think this may have been one of the last releases by Cam.

Order was shipped first week of September. I dont think it was a futures order since it was fulfilled less than a week from the time i purchased it.

2 Likes

Bottling dates for dN wines can be found at https://denegociants.com, but for lot 409, there’s no date listed.