De Negoce offer (Part 2)

Careful…That was outright called slander back in the day.

4 Likes

The 93 suckling was actually for the eleveur bottling, not by the source

1 Like

Funny guy. This is a not the dN of old and it’s in liquidation basically.

My theory is there was some kind of plan to store it and release “aged DN wine” as Tranche 3 or something. At a higher price of course. They probably had cheap access to storage at some point, which also led to long term storage. But now the plan is to just get rid of it. It explains why some of these case offers are wines especially benefited by aging, like this cab, or the 100 year vine syrah a few months ago.

2 Likes

Claude,
Nice try, still does not meet the $70 US retail price point…NEXT.

Re-read the WHOLE thread.
Same story twice now…
Yep /we got some decent wines. Same story twice now and you are still surprised?
Go back and read the original.
I’d bet a ton there will be a third…
Your GOD seems to be….xcz
Takes a bit of the shine off when you see under the covers

It’s an interesting read for a bit of history.

2 Likes

:clap: love this

1 Like

Though I’m content with my former Shiraz purchases (have not opened yet L 343 McLaren Vale/2020, L 349 Barossa/2021 or L 354 Barossa/2021), are there any like Shiraz bottles remaining that anyone would consider a definite QPR ‘gift’ purchase with the current 25% off sale? - $14 Lot 343 | 2020 McLaren Vale Shiraz; $19 Lot 353 | 2021 Single-Vineyard Barossa Valley Shiraz; $13 Lot 355 | 2021 McLaren Vale Shiraz; or $17 Lot 356 | 2021 Barossa Valley Shiraz;?

Should I rather focus on the $17 Lot 365 | 2021 Santa Barbara County Syrah or $15 Lot 369 | 2021 Ballard Canyon-Santa Ynez Valley Syrah?

Thank you for any insight.

I’m with @C_l_a_u_d_G on this one:

You won’t find a fit using JS rating as an identifier, because he only rated the Éleveur version. Or rated the original source lower, which would be interesting…

No thanks, I have better things to do! But my fan club will always have a place deep in my heart (like Rich who likes every post that’s negative about me). I love you all!

2 Likes

Edited multiple times for civility
May we all drink our dN in good health!

1 Like

I have not had any of the remaining Aussie Shiraz, but I do very much like 218, 365 and 369 at the 25% off price! I am a CA and WA Syrah lover.

1 Like

Ha! My favorite part about this post…is that you actually care enough to look and see who liked the negative comments about you :rofl:

2 Likes

Where’s the $70 list price though??? Show me that Patrick. That’s my point…not the 93 points

Cheers, Tim

JS never said the bottle he reviewed was $70-$100, dN said it did under the original label. dN also never said JS gave the original label 93 points. You’re conflating the two.

Any 2019 Santenay 1er Cru Beauregard that retails for $70-$100 but either was rated less than a 93 (because they would highlight that) or not rated at all, is a candidate.

1 Like

I’m both an Aussie and USA Syrah/Shiraz fan… I would say if you do not have a case of n.365 already and enjoy a more dark and savory syrah that you pick up a case of it. It’s so different than the Aussie shiraz and in a good way that it drinks totally different and seems to match up with some different foods. I have purchased two cases of that and like to open it with a meal that needs a wine that is more savory than fruit forward.

4 Likes

I have this one and at $13 not a bad wine, just not overly complex or interesting. I would be more inclined to sample the Santa Barbara or Ballard Canyon Syrahs.

The other dN Syrah I have is 140 - Rocks of Milton Freewater. That has been a strange wine for me, uneven and falling apart a couple of times. It doesn’t show on your radar, but I would avoid that one.

I agree with your assessment, but I have a word of caution. I bought ~3 cases total of n.365 at different times. The first several bottles from the early purchases were really impressive from a stylistic standpoint, if not as intense aromatically or deep as similar wines in its style.

The bottles from the n.365 case sale last October have been highly variable. Most have tasted like a generic red with a savory edge–OK for the price, but not a rare value. Several others have experienced this as well.

I can only speculate (heat damage at the warehouse, 2nd bottling/lot, wine fell apart in < 1 year) as to what’s going on, though since these are sterile filtered wines bottle variation from spoilage microorganisms seems unlikely. Whatever the underlying cause, this isn’t something that inspires trust.

3 Likes

n 365 has a lot of notes on CT, some good/great, some mentioning bottle variation. I don’t know who Bunny Motel is, but they might have my favorite CT handle and as Bunny Motel goes, so go I.

91-92 points seems like a pretty sure winner, unless the bottle variation strikes.

And… I talked myself into a split case 365 and 369. I have enjoyed lots of Syrah from this region, Ojai, Herman Story, Nicora, others, so this will be a low cost chance to try a couple more.

2 Likes

Some of the n.365 bottle variation notes are mine. And prior to my experience, I think @Kris_Patten mentioned in the dN tasting discussion that his bottles from late last year were mediocre. I thought that was odd and expressed surprise given my initial experiences, but now it makes total sense. A friend of mine also ordered late last year, and I recall one of the bottles he poured at his house was of the mediocre profile.

I am curious to open an earlier order bottle (I kept them separate, just in case of something like this) to see what’s going on . . . .

2 Likes