De Negoce offer (Part 2)

Where’s the $70 list price though??? Show me that Patrick. That’s my point…not the 93 points

Cheers, Tim

JS never said the bottle he reviewed was $70-$100, dN said it did under the original label. dN also never said JS gave the original label 93 points. You’re conflating the two.

Any 2019 Santenay 1er Cru Beauregard that retails for $70-$100 but either was rated less than a 93 (because they would highlight that) or not rated at all, is a candidate.

1 Like

I’m both an Aussie and USA Syrah/Shiraz fan… I would say if you do not have a case of n.365 already and enjoy a more dark and savory syrah that you pick up a case of it. It’s so different than the Aussie shiraz and in a good way that it drinks totally different and seems to match up with some different foods. I have purchased two cases of that and like to open it with a meal that needs a wine that is more savory than fruit forward.

4 Likes

I have this one and at $13 not a bad wine, just not overly complex or interesting. I would be more inclined to sample the Santa Barbara or Ballard Canyon Syrahs.

The other dN Syrah I have is 140 - Rocks of Milton Freewater. That has been a strange wine for me, uneven and falling apart a couple of times. It doesn’t show on your radar, but I would avoid that one.

I agree with your assessment, but I have a word of caution. I bought ~3 cases total of n.365 at different times. The first several bottles from the early purchases were really impressive from a stylistic standpoint, if not as intense aromatically or deep as similar wines in its style.

The bottles from the n.365 case sale last October have been highly variable. Most have tasted like a generic red with a savory edge–OK for the price, but not a rare value. Several others have experienced this as well.

I can only speculate (heat damage at the warehouse, 2nd bottling/lot, wine fell apart in < 1 year) as to what’s going on, though since these are sterile filtered wines bottle variation from spoilage microorganisms seems unlikely. Whatever the underlying cause, this isn’t something that inspires trust.

3 Likes

n 365 has a lot of notes on CT, some good/great, some mentioning bottle variation. I don’t know who Bunny Motel is, but they might have my favorite CT handle and as Bunny Motel goes, so go I.

91-92 points seems like a pretty sure winner, unless the bottle variation strikes.

And… I talked myself into a split case 365 and 369. I have enjoyed lots of Syrah from this region, Ojai, Herman Story, Nicora, others, so this will be a low cost chance to try a couple more.

2 Likes

Some of the n.365 bottle variation notes are mine. And prior to my experience, I think @Kris_Patten mentioned in the dN tasting discussion that his bottles from late last year were mediocre. I thought that was odd and expressed surprise given my initial experiences, but now it makes total sense. A friend of mine also ordered late last year, and I recall one of the bottles he poured at his house was of the mediocre profile.

I am curious to open an earlier order bottle (I kept them separate, just in case of something like this) to see what’s going on . . . .

2 Likes

Thanks Greg @G_D_y_e_r. I kinda of hedged my bet by only adding a 6er, so will see what happens.

We tried several of the syrah/shiraz offerings in a mixed case in the fall and my fiance described 365 as “Just Pretty Much Red Wine” and deemed it the least favorite of the batch. 218 being the favorite. This is before we knew others experienced bottle variation, and were surprised we didn’t like it more because it fits description of what we like in syrah.

3 Likes

I haven’t opened any 365 yet, but will in the near future once I’m off my meds-induced abstinence.

Unexplained bottle variation from any given release is pretty prevalent and has diminished the value proposition.

1 Like

You do it religiously! It’s my favorite thing, ever!

1 Like

(this was my first guess and its wrong. see below and credit to A-Lev)

Anakota Knights Valley

sustainably farming the area since the mid-90s. Sustainability | Anakota

this wine fetches $75/bottle Knights Valley | Anakota

“Beautiful deep ruby on the pour, the nose is very inviting with black cherry, red cassis berries, and a red-to-black fruit core that draws you deep into the glass, accented by hints of lavender.The finish is resonant, and kissed by barrel influences of baking spice, vanilla blossoms, and further black cherries.”

*A dark violet core of color gives rise to aromas of crunchy black cherry, ripe black currant, and fresh California bay laurel, accentuated by subtle toasted baking spices and bittersweet baking cocoa.

“blend of 80% Cabernet Sauvignon, 15% Cabernet Franc, and 5% Petit Verdot”

2021 Specs blend of 80% Cabernet Sauvignon, 15% Cabernet Franc, and 5% Petit Verdot

4 Likes

I think he’s right! 2021 was blended with same stuff. In for a case, looks pretty good. Nice score new dN team!

1 Like

I’m temped by this. Now that shipping is included this is basically equal to old offers of $150 case (12.50 a bottle). I feel like my best purchases were $25-35 Napa cabs and $11-13 Sonoma/red mountain cabs. This hits that spot. I know 2022 harvest was “variable”. Any insight on the harvest in nights valley?

Awesome, hope you enjoy!

Luke,
“Stacked CV” should get you to back up the truck on this offer. :slight_smile:

Honestly, I think this is very approachable offering. It will need 2-3 years bottle time to shine.

Cheers, Tim

1 Like

You had me at “double gold”. :slight_smile: JK. Again just looking to reduce the number of variable data points of the unknown

I had a credit so I figured I’d use it on this one. I told myself I was only going to use dN for party wine but this is party wine pricing on something that may be pretty good in a few year. Thought my last purchase of newer wines was the 430 and I’m not sure that will ever evolve in to anything.

Anakota winemaker doesn’t see to have any linkage to Pahlmeyer or Sonoma-Cutrer which is odd, as everything else lines up well. Maybe there’s someone working under him that does?