De Negoce offer (Part 2)

I was also offered this after I contacted Support after my July 4 sale order. I agree it’s steep at $25 per case, but likely a good option for those that can’t wait.

1 Like

The author of the ‘Winetasting Scale of Three’ and wife are coming in from Portugal to be with us Monday evening until Wednesday morning. This will be an all de Négoce event with Hungarian goulash, bacon wrapped w/dried beef baked chicken breast, key lime pie, etc (shucks, she doesn’t eat seafood).

List for me out of the following the four wines you would serve for the occasion (before and w/meal), ~ L 17 Napa 2018 Cab Sauv; L 74 Walla Walla Syrah; L 85 Walla Walla Cab Franc; L 142 Horse Heaven Hills Malbec; L 58 McDowell or L 161 Walla Walla Petit Sirah; L 165 Carneros Pinot Noir; L 197 Russian River Pinot Noir; L 219 Santa Ynez Grenache; L 229 Red Mt. Mourvedre/Syrah; L 251 Sonoma Mt. Cab Sauv; L 324 Barbera D’Alba.

I have other enriched dNé selections also in mind, but I would appreciate your feedback with this task. I promise to give back not only ‘Bob’s Scores’ but also the group’s reactions.

2 Likes

#142 malbec is delicious as you know, and #58 petite sirah is equally delicious. Those would be good in my opinion with the more robust menu you have provided.

4 Likes

Second the 142. It’s the best representation of an American Malbec that I’ve ever had (and better than most Argentinian I’ve had). I don’t have a strong opinion on any of the others aside from I think 17 had consistently shown well and is impressive for a $12 bottle of Napa cab.

5 Likes

392 last night…killer

2 Likes

Like that sub amirite harry!?!?!

Also we have a whole thread where you can post your de Negoce reviews, you can find it here:

4 Likes

Matt…you continue to crack me up.and thanks I know where to find …what did you drink last night…if you stay away from your lame jokes I find you a very able contributor

I haven’t tried most, but second the praises for 17 and 142. I’d NOT highlight 161. It’s an OK Mon night drinker, nothing wrong, but fairly basic, pedestrian and rustic, as much as I tried to like it fpr it’s low alcohol and for the $7/b I got I it for at the moving sale.

6 Likes

Just drank a n. 85 tonight with dinner after a vinturi to decanter for 1 hour and vinturi to glass. It is drinking really nice right now with a good combination of structure and typical cab franc notes. I would rate it and 92 so if you want to keep with wines that are a bit more unique both 85 and 229 are good options in my opinion

4 Likes

I can say 251 is probably a top 5 or 10 DN cabernet. It still needs a long decant and could use some more time. Brian and Rohit give great reviews on Cellartracker that you should look at for 251.

240 is another favorite of mine and has been drinking great. it is simple and smooth so I would not lead off the night with this one. Probably a better second bottle of the night.

10 Likes

I think n.17 is a great choice. Fantastic wine.

5 Likes

I agree with what others have said about the 142, but I can’t really give an opinion about 17 as I’ve only tried one bottle. I have a six pack of the 251 but haven’t cracked one yet since my impression (from Rohit & others) is that it is a special wine (and it’s buried under many heavy boxes of wine). So I think I’d lean toward a 251 over a 240, as much as I like the 240. The 229 is indeed unique & would represent Red Mountain nicely. Our last bottle of 165 was the best of the case (drunk too young) if you feel the need to have a Pinot. For some reason I didn’t buy the 197 (too much oak???), so I can’t speak to that selection.
Good luck! Looking forward to hearing what you decided to serve & how the wines were received.

4 Likes

haven’t had them all but 197 (shiner from DRNK winery) is better than 17 and 142 (which are good)

1 Like

Yes. 197 was so good. Best DN PN for me… Finished those off long time ago. true shiner…

2 Likes

If anyone wants/needs to part ways with some Lot # 50 2018 Walla Walla Cabernet Sauvignon please let me know. Make me an offer, I’ll cover shipping.

1 Like

Has anyone ever bought these mystery cases before? Are they worth it?

1 Like

I’d say that the mystery cases are most worthwhile for someone that is not yet familiar with De Negoce wines.
They are definitely a bargain if you want and need the wine. I long ago decided to stay away from mystery cases.
I find that a substantial percentage is wine that I don’t want, and as I already have more than enough wine I give away the unwanted bottles.
All de Negoce wines are mystery to some extent. If you know you have a preference for a particular variety or style, it is better to pay more and improve your odds of a stylistic match.

8 Likes

Purchased an all red case last August at $159. Got a good smattering - 3 Cabs, 2 Merlots, a Pinot, Syrah, Meritage, Zinfandel, Malbec, Carignane, and a Petite Sirah. It was a nice intro as I was just getting started with DN. Now I’m subletting space in 3 different basements, lol. I may do a mixed case this go round.

4 Likes

Just bought a case of Mystery RED.

3 Likes

I’ve bought a couple of mystery cases. You can make a pretty good guess of what will be in it based on what has been promoted in specials previously but not sold out. I’ve always found the value to be solid and it gives a nice mix of things to try and see if you want to buy from the bottle shop at a later time.

4 Likes