Dallas

Just tried Trio last weekend… pretty good and we plan on returning to try again. Rack of lamb was pretty tasty. In Colleyville BYOB no corkage.

http://www.triocolleyville.com/

Still need to make it up there to try it out. Maybe we’ll meet you and Angie, perhaps Tom up there some day soon.

Heading to Dallas today and staying around the medical center for 2 nights (Dallas Children’s). Any places I should hit up for dinner? I will have a car.

I am an omnivore, if that helps.

And love a great cocktail :slight_smile:

Scott

Scott, we don’t get over to Dallas often, but we were over at The Porch two weekends ago. That seems to be our go-to. Great craft beers, nice, albeit simple wines and great cocktails. With regard to food, I can recommend the Stodg Burger, Short Rib Stroganoff and almost anything off the Big Board…and the mac and cheese as a side. Just east of 75 (1/8 mile) on Henderson…north side of the road, valet behind.

Mike Anderson’s Texas BBQ by Ut Southwestern allows BYO…food is very hit and miss.

Suze now offers free BYO on Tuesday nights and before 6:30 on Friday nights.

Eden Cafe on Lovers allows BYO…not sure of corkage though…surprisingly good food for what it looks like from the outside. Also, Balls Hamburgers on NW Hwy and Midway allows as well, not sure of the rules, but i would love to do a weekend lunch offline there…sliders and wine sounds pretty fun.

Mangiamo Italian at Preston and LBJ allows BYO. I am going tonight and will report back.

I went to Mangiamo last night and went with a real bad attitude about what I thought we would be getting. I was totally surprised by how great everything was. This is the best family style Italian food I have eaten in Dallas. No corkage no stems.

Sakhuu (about a block away from Jimmy’s food store on Bryan St.) is also a good BYOB place if you want to bring Riesling to a tasty and inexpensive (but surprisingly sophisticated) Vietnamese restaurant. And think corkage is $1 per person.

We lost a good one in the DFW area. Gregory’s Bistro, formerly in downtown McKinney has moved to the Mitas Hill Winery on the border between McKinney and Melissa, TX. The only wine available now is wine made by Mitas Hill Winery. A major disappointment to many of us in the area.

The move to Mitas Hill Winery didn’t last long for Gregory’s Bistro. He left and will be opening in Adriatica Village in McKinney, TX on or about 1 November. He doesn’t yet know if his new restaurant will be BYOB however. We shall see.

Well, it’s official. The new Gregory’s Bistro will not be BYOB. Sad but understandable.

JS Chen on Legacy in Plano is BYOB. No corkage and they have stems/cork screws. Been going there forever and just realized it. Some tasty Bedrock Zin would have fit the bill nicely.

The Palm in Dallas is closing at the end of the month.

Urbano and Suze are my favorites in Dallas. Urbano being my favorite.

Many of you in the DFW area know and like Gregory’s Bistro in McKinney. They have been full cycle from BYOB only to no BYOB under any circumstances. I think they have figured out that they lost a lot of regular customers when they went no BYOB so they are sticking their toe back in the water. They now allow BYOB on Wednesdays. Corkage is $20 per table irregardless of bottle count. A good start.

https://www.gregorysbistro.org/

q

Fyi - Suze is moving across the parking lot and will discontinue their BYOB policy. Had dinner there last night for one of our final BYOBs. (it was great!)

Major bummer. By “discontinue their BYOB policy” do you just mean their corkage-free BYOB policy on Tuesday night (and early Fri)? Because they’ve also always allowed BYOB on other nights for a $20/bottle fee (for which they don’t always strictly enforce “per bottle”, sometimes only hitting you for a couple of your bottles). Do you know if they’re going to completely disallow BYOB altogether, and no longer even allow it with a corkage fee?

-----Also, there is a little hole-in-the-wall Lebanese place on Oak Lawn (near Maple) called “Open Sesame”. They have decent lamb and beef souvlakia, chicken schwarma (with great garlic sauce), falafel plates, etc. and good sides (hummus, tabouli, fries, etc.). It’s very simple (and inexpensive at about $12-$19 for entrée plates) and actually quite good for take out…but also is BYOB and a pleasant place to sit (quiet, only about 6-7 tables), and in an area of Dallas without much BYOB beyond Thai food.