Contra Costa County Wine Heritage

The majority of the wine produced from old-vine Contra Costa grapes are bottled outside of the region, from Sonoma and Napa to much farther South.

In Napa County, T-Vine has periodically offered an Evangelho Vineyard Carignan and a Mataro/Mourvedre from the same site.

Today’s email from T-Vine:

"‘Evangelho Vineyard’ Mataro:
unnamed.jpg
"Understated elegance is how we describe this wine, but we will let you be the judge. Aromas of raspberry, cumin and fennel get you ready for the complexity of the palate. Soft silky layers of red ripe fruit followed by spices with vanilla and floral notes.

"What can we say about this delectable varietal? Contra Costa County is a premier spot for growing some of the best Mataro (also known as Mourvèdre). The Evangelho Vineyard that this wine hails from is nothing short of extraordinary, you’ve got to see it for yourself.

“The half-hillside, half-coastal region gives this grape everything it wants, so you can get everything you want from the moment you open that bottle.”[/i]

95 cases were produced of the 2014 “Evangelho Vineyard” Mataro ($60/btl).

T-Vine’s “Our Growers” page for the Evangelho Vineyard features a video, a description of the site, as well as a few words from Mr Frank Evangelho:

https://www.tvinewinery.com/Our-Story/Growers/Evangelho

Additionally, the 2014 “Evangelho Vineyard” Carignane is available for purchase for $65/btl. 295 cases were bottled of this wine.

I sent an email to the gang at Bedrock Wine Company I search of additional information on the prized Evangelho Vineyard, located just across the highway/bridge from Oakley, in the town of Antioch. As much as this thread covers Oakley’s side of topics like vineyard preservation and an appreciation for the ancient vines that are fighting against the tide of development, the most important development in recent memory is the purchase of the Evangelho Vineyard in Antioch.
Evangelho-Vineyard.-Photo-courtesy-of-Bedrock-Wine-Co.-700x461.jpg
Here are Mr Twain-Peterson’s own words about what has been called “the Grand Cru of Contra Costa County”:

Bedrock’s “Vineyard Profiles”

Bedrock’s “Grower Profiles”

Bedrock’s “The Study: The Vines of Oakley”

Bedrock’s “The Study: Evangelho Vineyard, Part 1”

Here are the Release Notes for the Bedrock Wine Company “Evangelho Vineyard” red wines…

2017 Evangelho Heritage Wine, Contra Costa County

“Following our purchase of the vineyard in the spring, 2017 was the first year we had full control over farming at Evangelho. This wine, though possessing the characteristic suaveness of the site, does possess a trace more density than years past–likely due to the additional thinning passes we made. It was also an exceptional year for Mataro in a generally very strong year at the site, and the variety makes up over 30% of the blend. As such, this has some wonderful savory aromatics that balance and complicate the courtly fruit—upon opening a bottle of 2015 recently, I was struck by an exotic curry powder/garam masala note starting to come forth. Aged predominately in 600 gallon foudre and large format barrels, this wine saw very little new oak as we wanted the delicate complexities of the site to show. Drink 2019-2030+.”

2016 Evangelho Vineyard Heritage Wine, Contra Costa County

“I still cannot believe that we somehow own this unbelievable unicorn of a vineyard. Perched on banks of deep sand on the windy edge of the Sacramento River Delta this vineyard of own-rooted, 120-year-old vines produces vibrant and personality-filled wines unlike anything else we make. Though all the blocks are field-blends and co-fermented, I would estimate this wine is about 60% Zinfandel and 35% Mataro, with the remainder being Carignane, Palomino and a few other odds and ends. This features racy and vibrant fruit that is pleasantly funkified but the presence of the savory Mataro. Raised predominately in large foudre, this wine probably resembles a wine from the Southern Rhone as much as a ‘Zinfandel’ from California. As always, the incredibly suave tannins from the sandy soils at the ranch make for a high-tone and elegant red wine.”

2015 Evangelho Heritage Wine, Contra Costa County

“Our fifth iteration of this wine, and each time I think we get closer to capturing the true essence of this Grand Dame of a vineyard. Coming from own-rooted Zinfandel, Mataro, Carignan, Palomino, Alicante, and Mission planted in the 1890s on 40’ banks of granitic beach sand, this wine is a unique expression of a California field blend. Aromatically lifted by bright Zinfandel and crunchy Carignan but held in earthbound embrace by the terrestrial Mataro, this is a wine of opposition, a veritable Hegelian dialectic in vinous form. One time, when walking through this vineyard, my feet sinking in the sand, I had a David Lean inspired delusion of grandeur: it is 1917 and I am trudging across the Sinai peninsula with the only thing standing between me and the Gulf of Aqaba a Turkish-held garrison (otherwise known as a PG & E power plant) but where is my camel and why am I sampling grapes?”

2014 Evangelho Heritage Wine

“Many of you have heard us wax rhapsodic about Evangelho Vineyard and its ancient vines, own-rooted in beach sand on the banks of the Delta. Having made this vineyard for four years now (and starting to pick the 2015 yesterday), I am amazed by the unflappable consistency of the vineyard. Though it might shade darker or lighter in any given vintage, whenever we taste through the wines blind in the cellar, Evangelho screams out. For me it is the contrast between the bright acid and low pH of well-farmed CoCo fruit along with the fine tannin profile from the sand that separates it from most of our other vineyards that are derived from coarser, more volcanic soil. I love this 2014, a field-blend of Zinfandel, Carignane, Mataro, Palomino, Alicante Bouschet, and Mission. As always, decant well if drinking in the near term!”

2013 Evangelho Heritage Wine, Contra Costa County

“Planted in the 1890s. If the success of the 2011 was blind luck (show up with a truck in the wee hours of morning in a place I had never been based on the tip of a friend), and 2012 was the first effort of following an entire year’s worth of farming and coming to understand the unique conditions of Antioch and Oakley, then 2013 is a wine that reflects a better understanding of the site. Evangelho lies just inland from the Sacramento River Delta on banks of sand that can reach 40 feet in depth. Though a warm area there is rarely a day that passes without a serious wind—very much like a Californian Mistral and the antecedent to the fog coming through the Golden Gate—racing through the vineyard. This causes the vines to shut down for much of the hot afternoons, and the result is a wine that seemingly defies conventional wisdom when it comes warm weather sites. Evangelho is the earliest-picked vineyard by weeks in the winery, but it is tends to be the lowest in pH and alcohol of the Heritage Wines. This means that the crackling red fruit of Carignane, unctuousness of Zinfandel, and terrestrial perfume of Mourvedre is held aloft by an underlying brightness. Yet another unique terroir only found in this great State.”

2012 Evangelho Heritage Wine, Contra Costa County

“After falling in love with the fragrant and forward 2011 wine, and with the quirky and strangely alluring sands of Contra Costa County, we decided that Evangelho Vineyard deserved a place in the permanent stable of Bedrock Wine Co… The 2012 is a worthy successor to the 2011. Composed of roughly 40% Carignane, 38% Mourvedre, with the remainder Zinfandel, Palomino, Alicante, and Mission, the wine is a great expression of the fresh fruits and zippy acid (natural pH here of 3.4!) found from the well-tended, own-rooted vines planted in the 1890’s in Frankie’s field’o’goodness. Raised in a combination of smaller French oak barrels and a 600 gallon foudre the wine possesses crunchy red fruits of the Carignane, the sappiness of fresh Zinfandel, and the feral and exotic spice and earth of the terrestrial Mourvedre.”

2011 Evangelho Heritage Wine, Contra Costa County

“I might be more excited about this wine than any wine in the cellar this year. The 100±year-old mixed vines of Evangelho Vineyard stretch upwards on their own roots out of 40’ banks of sand. This wine was made on a lark and a percentage of its profits should probably be given back to my friend who called me September 9th of 2011 saying that Frankie Evangelho still had some fruit, and that it was good. I arrived at the vineyard having never been to Contra Costa County before. Upon arriving I rubbed my bleary eyes, trying to clarify the image of vines from California’s viticultural antiquity standing proud against the backdrop of softly blinking lights atop the tours of the PG and E power plant behind it. I was greeted by Frank Evangelho, forever to be known as Frankie from here forward, and as my bins were loaded on the picking trailers I was asked what I wanted to pick. I asked about Zinfandel, but after tasting delicious unpicked Mourvedre and Carignane I asked about that too. We started picking: first the Zinfandel, mixed with Carignane and Mourvedre, then the Mourvedre mixed with Carignane and some whites, and then the Carignane mixed with Mourvedre and whites. He asked if I wanted the whites. Sure! Back at the winery the fruit was all destemmed together into the same fermenter. I am not quite sure what is actually what but my guess is that it is about 40% Zinfandel, 25% Mourvedre, 15% Carignane, and 10% mixed whites. The wine, if I may say so, is f*ck delicious. As with Rhone wines that grow on sand, the wine is marked by high-tone perfume and lift, broad rich fruit, and a pirouette of bright acid that leaves the mouth watering. What is perhaps most exciting is that in the three years of 2009, 2010, and 2011, where I generally have to tell people to ‘wait! Don’t drink that yet!,’ I can say, ‘Drink this! Drink it with this year’s Turkey!’”

Remember & Go: Your Gateway to Contra Costa County History is a special collection at the Contra Costa Library. The map selections are rare and fascinating.

I clicked on the following three boxes for excellent maps and an eclectic selection of article clippings, photos, etc:

• “The Contra Costa County Historical Society Collection”
• “The Library’s Historic Map Collection”
• “The Lost Towns of Contra Costa”

Some of my favorite finds:

“Arnold and Glass Official Map of Contra Costa County, California 1914 (cartographic material)” - very detailed, the resolution is fantastic!

I am not able to include this map image for viewing on Wine Berserkers due to the fact that its details would be obscured.

• A bird’s-eye-view of Contra Costa is available as well: “Map of Contra Costa County probably about 1880 (1893?) reproduced from original by Elliott Pub. Co. SF. lithos of farms and homes plus bird’s eye view of county from Carquinez Strait.”

• Another image worth checking out is a c1940 promotional map of the county:

“Contra Costa County on San Francisco Bay in Sunny CA, J.C. Carroll”

Contra_Costa_County_on_San_Francisco_Bay_in_Sunny_California_cartographic_material_.jpg
Description: “Truly one of the favored spots of the glamorous Golden State. A place to work, a place to play, a place to live. Industry without smoke, climate without heat or cold, open spaces for suburban living, and proximity to great metropolitan centers over four-lane highways. Here a man can earn a livelihood and the family can function at the highest possible level of happiness and contentment. Catch striped bass on our long, protected waterfront. Climb 4,000 foot Mt. Diablo. Enjoy the life of swanky country clubs. Find a wonderful life in Contra Costa County.”

• The “Denny’s Pocket Map of Contra Costa County California” is a high-quality image showing wagon roads, railroads and trails (1915).

Dennys_pocket_map_of_Contra_Costa_County_California_cartographic_material.jpg
For any fans of CoCo history and maps, I strongly recommend you check out the Remember & Go: Your Gateway to Contra Costa County History website.

Valley Sentinel
“Contra Costa County Library’s Digitizing History”

"…Remember & Go will launch by Spring 2014, with the Library kicking off the project by showcasing its art collection and continuing to expand the database with artifacts from local historical societies and other partnering institutions. Each item in the database will include a link to a map allowing users to locate an artifact’s physical location.

“The Library’s new Facebook page, ‘Memories of a Lifetime in Contra Costa County’, currently provides residents and local history buffs a way to preserve their stories and share their knowledge with the community. ‘Memories of a Lifetime’ will link to Remember & Go, highlighting special collections and featured items in the database…”.

Contra Costa County Library website:

Facebook
“Memories of a Lifetime in Contra Costa County” Group:

East Bay Times
“Contra Costa: Preserving History in Digital Age”

by Lou Fancher
November 22, 2016

*** EDIT *

It now appears that the Contra Costa Library no longer features the Remember & Go program.**

Once and Future Wine, founded by Mr Joel Peterson of Ravenswood (and designated “Godfather of Zin” fame), just released two 2016 red wines from the “Oakley Road Vineyard” in Contra Costa:

"Oakley Road Vineyard

"The soils at Oakley Road vineyard are so sandy that early growers in this region were disparaged as ‘sandlappers’. Little did those wags know that the delta sands, with their Phylloxera inhibiting properties, would be the key to the survival of some amazing 100-plus-year-old, own-rooted, unirrigated vines. The micro climate of Oakley allows grapes to ripen early. It is not so much that it is hot during the growing months—the average temperature is about 74 degrees with the nights in the mid 50s and the days in the 90s during the month of July and August—but that the sandy soils warm earlier in the year than most other areas in California, and vine growth starts sooner. As the season progresses, the grapes continue to ripen consistently in spite of the cooling maritime winds from the Carquinez straits, due to the reflected sun from the Antioch sandy soils.

oakley-zin-3.jpg
"The resulting wines can be, in a word, graceful. The combination of own roots, old vines, deep sandy soils, and cooling afternoon breezes seems to encourage gentle, suave wines. Some winemakers like to make big, powerful, dark wines from these grapes, though I believe the wines are much more enjoyable, interesting, complex, and finer when picked earlier.

"These Oakley Road vines may not be around much longer. This part of Contra Costa (CoCo for short) is changing rapidly. It has been an industrial backwater for a long time. High tension electrical lines, a PG&E power plant, and motels that rent by the hour stand in contrast to an inordinate number of churches and an increasing reality of fast food restaurants that populate a disjointed human landscape. There is increasing urbanization as roads are widened and BART pushes east. Many of these vineyards are for sale with inflated land prices, having been designated as commercial land—the result being land costs that are more compatible with strip malls than farming. For now, the vines remain in the ground, producing viticultural treasure. And for now, we continue to make lovely wine and cherish our moment.

2016 Contra Costa Mataro, Oakley Road Vineyard - $35

"Tasting Notes - Mourvedre, the famous grape of Bandol, is known by the name Mataro in California. The Mataro grape has been planted in California since the 1870s, mostly as an adjunct in blends that were Zinfandel dominated. Though scarce, Mataro is an exceptional standalone grape in a few places. One of those is Oakley. In the eastern rain shadow of Mount Diablo near the San Joaquin River, vines on their own roots planted in sand dune-like soils in the late 1800s and early 1900s continue to produce some of the most interesting and highly regarded Mataro in California. The climate conditions are perfect for slow ripening grapes like Mataro. The smoky, soft cherry, plum flavors are well developed and full, with the acid perfectly balanced and the tannins soft and round.

2016 Contra Costa Zinfandel, Oakley Road Vineyard - $42

Tasting Notes - Oakley Road Zinfandel is planted on the same sandy slopes as the Oakley Road Mataro. These vines, planted around 1900, are on their own roots. Coming out of the sand with multiple arms like hydra, they are truly bush vines. Unlike most other California Zinfandel vineyards, the fruit is carried relatively low to the ground. The proximity to ground acts as shelter from the wind, which can be moderately intense in the afternoon in Oakley, while reflecting radiated light and heat back on the grapes from the sandy soils. The vineyard has about 10 percent Carignane and Mataro interplanted with the Zinfandel. The sandy soils and the own-rooted vines tend to produce unique, suave, textural characteristics in the wines. The wines have bright, ripe flavors, and are very spicy, with fresh acidity and smooth fine tannins in the finish.”[/i]
16-OF-OAK-OVZ-8475.jpg
Once & Future Wine Website

I hope to be able to establish a fairly comprehensive roster of the best-known ancient vineyards located in Contra Costa County.

The first page of this thread includes the physical locations of several vineyards. That, of course, is an on-going effort. I am certain that this work will be, too.

Perhaps the best change in the previous three decades has been the naming of vineyard sources on Contra Costa wine labels.

Like Lodi and other regions gaining increased recognition as sources of quality grapes, the appearance of vineyard-designated bottlings serves to add value to specific sites. In this scenario, the adage “a rising tide lifts all boats” can be applied. Of course, not all wines or vineyards from Contra Costa - or anywhere else for that matter - merit prestige or respect.

However, to improve a vineyard’s chances of a surviving five, ten, or one hundred years of existence, the public first must know that it exists. Wine producers have to be aware of the quality of its grapes. Consumers must associate the fruit source with a positive sense of recognition. Eventually, policy makers and private landholders will become keen on the idea that people want to drink wines from that area. In turn, vineyard owners may consider their properties to be worth keeping.

Individuals who live and work in Contra Costa County have asserted that the laws and attitudes adopted elsewhere have prioritized the preservation of historically significant vineyards. This is not true in Antioch and Oakley.

Co-Cofermented Blog
“IGRO-ZIN”

November, 2010

“Dwight_ [Meadows] _isn’t particularly bullish on recent enthusiasm by some local officials to establish a ‘trust’ to preserve Oakley’s old vines. ‘It works in Brentwood,’ he says, because their agriculture is around the development. Unlike Oakley, with new development plopped right in the middle of agricultural land; it seems that the very thing that kindled Kathy’s and my fascination with Oakley grapes - their appearance in the craziest suburban settings - is the same thing that could jeopardize preservation efforts. ‘Vines around here are doomed,’ Dwight opines. I hope he’s wrong, but once bitten…”

How was the late Dwight Meadows “bitten”?

"…Dwight and Carla [Cutino-Meadows] sold the Feed and Tire Store to an employee about a dozen years ago, and the grape biz became the cornerstone of his umbrella company, Diablo Vista Vineyards.

“But then, a few years ago, the school district erected the spanking-new Freedom High School adjacent to their property, and about a million California regulations automatically kicked in to protect kids from pesticide use. Dwight told me that it got to the point where he could pretty well farm only between the hours of 11 p.m. and 6 a.m. The final straw came when the contractor hired to install the school’s soccer field used a weed killer that wiped out an entire year’s crop of Dwight’s grapes. That’s when he threw up his hands and sold all but a few acres of vines surrounding his house and shop to a housing developer.”

Today, Freedom High School owns a couple of vineyard parcels near its campus. It is probably a matter of time before they are uprooted.

Kent Rosenblum began producing single-vineyard Zinfandels from “Carla’s Vineyard” and other CoCo sites after tasting a Cline Cellars wine in 1987. He also provided Dwight Meadows and Tony Cutino with guidance as they replanted and established new vineyards in the area, according to Rhoda Stewart’s A Zinfandel Odyssey.

Rosenblum also bottled vineyard-designated red wines from “Planchon Vineyard”, “Pato Vineyard”, and “Castanho Vineyard”. “San Francisco Bay”, “Contra Costa”, and “Oakley” bottlings were produced by Rosenblum Cellars as well.

Today, Kent Rosenblum works with his daughter Shauna at her Rock Wall winery. Rock Wall has made single-vineyard wines featuring “Sophia Favalora Vyd”, “Jesse’s Vyd”, “Pearl Hart”, and “Madruga Vyd” on its labels.

Based on information presented in “Age Before Beauty: Do Old Vines Produce Better Wines?” by Patrick J. Comiskey (Wine & Spirits October, 2005), it now seems that “Carla’s Vineyard” in Antioch no longer exists.

The article included photographs of Ms Cutino-Meadows in the vineyard that once bore her name. The writer stated that this century-old planting was situated to the East of Antioch’s K-Mart and South of the former paper mill. Aaron Meadows, son of Dwight Meadows, operates a property development company. I fear that “Carla’s Vineyard” has been uprooted.

Below are a handful of sites tended by Meadows’ Diablo Vista Vineyards:

from the Co-Cofermented Blog entry, “IGRO-ZIN”:

“…‘Carla’s Vineyard’, located over by the Kmart and named for his wife, is another site he tends. He also looks after a 37-acre vineyard, planted two-thirds to grapes and a third to olives, and located at Trilogy, a 55-and-older residential community that offers dozens of lifestyle options including membership in a winemaking club that uses the on-site vines. There’s a 5-acre piece over on Live Oak that he manages for an individual whose dream of a ‘ranchette’ went sour when he couldn’t keep up with the weeds and overgrowth. He used to farm 40 acres in nearby Knightsen, but the boron in the water was too much to battle…".

Update: “Carla’s Vineyard”, off E. 18th Street in Antioch, is no more.

While half of the old-growth planting was lost when a Kmart was constructed, the rest of the vines were destroyed with continued commercial property development.

This article provides a brief history of the Rosenblum Cellars’ work with vineyards in eastern Contra Costa.

Pacific Sun
“Zin-Mania”
May 7, 2015

_‘You have to understand, Kent was something of a visionary,’ says current winemaker John Kane, who took over from Jeff Cohn a little more than six years ago. ‘He was probably 70 years ahead of his time, making red Zin when most everybody was drinking White Zin, and making them as individual, vineyard-designated wines. By the time the world began to recognize red Zin, he had all the really good vineyards under long term contracts!’

“…One concern that Kane faces is that some of the small vineyards Rosenblum draws from are increasingly impinged upon by the expanding demands of residential housing. 'We recently lost half of one of our best vineyards [“Carla’s Vineyard”] in Contra Costa County when Kmart tried to buy the whole of it. We were able to retain half of the vineyard, but it was a close call. Another of our Contra Costa vineyards, “Planchon” in Oakley, is completely surrounded by a housing development, so we have to let the neighbors know to close their windows when we spray the vines.'”

One source of frustration when attempting to identify the vineyards of Oakley & Antioch is the fact that different wineries often adopt proprietary names for the same vineyard site.

A more common challenge involves the adoption of ambiguous place-names for fruit sources. Many growers own or farm vineyards that are situated far apart. Using a grower’s name to identify a specific planting can result in a drinker of another winery’s bottle to believe that both products’ grapes were harvested from the same vineyard (think “Del Barba Vyd” or “Sandy Lane Vyd”).

As I post the roster of vineyards, please correct me if my attempts at untangling the knot give rise to mistakes! :slight_smile:

Contra Costa Confusion (…continued?)

Gonsalves / Sandy Lane Vineyard:

Dan and Steve Gonsalves own, lease, or farm many vineyards in the Oakley area. “Gonsalves” or “Sandy Lane” is used to designate several vineyard sites, easily leading to confusion.

One Gonsalves property was featured on the label of Bonny Doon Vineyards’ “CONTRA” red blend:

Co-CoFermented blog
“Red Harvest Redux”
September 19, 2010

"Mike [Parker] happened to be at the Gonsalves property minutes after I was, and he brokered a monster grape sale one day later. He did have to laugh when I told him that that cul-de-sac was a notorious dumping ground: That day workers were picking for Bonny Doon’s ‘CONTRA’ blend, whose label actually showcases a derelict couch tossed at the end of the road. It’s the dominant feature of the Contra label: a ratty sofa surrounded by old vines."

Bonny Doon blog
“Contra Contra or How I Lost my Marketing Mojo”
January 3, 2013

Philippe Coderey, our viticulturist at the time, had taken a photograph of one of the vineyards in Antioch, and couldn’t get over the fact that a) someone had had the poor form to dump their trash in a vineyard, and b) even more worrisome, one of our growers had not the wit nor wherewithal to pick up the trash from aforesaid vineyard. Philippe was just appalled. For me, the picture perfectly captured the terroir of Antioch, CA, home of meth labs and rusted muscle cars up on blocks, which I sometimes refer to as ‘Appalachia by the Bay’. We Photoshopped the picture a bit, mostly removing some (additional!) unseemly trash from the photo, and tweaking the color value of the cover-crop a bit to get the most felicitous contrast with the color of the type.”

City of Oakley Chamber of Commerce
“Gonsalves Vineyards”:

“Gonsalves Vineyards is located at the address 361 Sandy Lane in Oakley.”

Roster of vineyards owned or farmed by the Gonsalves family / Sandy Lane Properties

Salvador Vineyard 2371 Oakley Rd (uprooted and developed into residential properties)

No other producer has bottled a “Salvador Vineyard” Zinfandel. The name most likely is proprietary:

Turley 2013 “Salvador” Zinfandel details

SF Gate
“A Native Son with an Eye for Vineyards”
by Jon Bonné
February 5, 2012

"…He [Tegan Passalacqua] helped convert the ‘Salvador’ vineyard, 110-year-old Zinfandel grown on 30 feet of sand, to organics. When I visited a few years ago, vine trunks sat in seemingly lifeless soil. Now a cover crop carpets the rows.

"‘He is so hands-on in the sense of how much he cares about the vineyard,’ says Steve Gonsalves, ‘Salvador’s’ owner.

“…‘Salvador’: Steve Gonsalves’ 115-year-old Zinfandel vineyard on 30 feet of sand is now farmed organically and makes one of Turley’s prized vineyard designates.”

Food & Wine
“The Battle for America’s Oldest Vines”
by Ray Isle
March 31st, 2015

“It would be easy to drive by the ‘Salvador Vineyard’ in Oakley, California, without giving it a second thought. The plot is on a residential backstreet, 10 or so acres of widely spaced, low-growing vines. On one side, behind a wooden fence, is a cookie-cutter subdivision full of dun-colored suburban houses. On the other side, more houses. There’s no office at ‘Salvador Vineyard’ and certainly no winery, only a ramshackle, ranch-style building that the Gonsalves family, who own the property, use for storage. In fact, the ‘Salvador Vineyard’ basically looks like a big, drab, sandy backyard, one that just happens to be filled with vines. It’s the definition of unprepossessing.”

** EDIT ** February 18, 2020

From the Bedrock Wine Company “Spring 2020 Release” email:

"…We lost ‘Salvador Vineyard’ a few months ago. When I say ‘we’ I do not mean Bedrock Wine Co., Chris, or me, or even maybe Turley - though they had taken the fruit for a quarter century - rather, wine and history lovers as a whole lost something precious.

“To the developers that bought the ranch for tract homes, the vines were just another relic of a bygone age in Contra Costa County - I am sure they had no idea that Robert Parker gave the 2013 ‘Salvador’ the second-highest score he ever gave for a Zinfandel. They were 98 points on the development potential though. Driving the streets of Oakley, it is easy to see that ‘Salvador’ is just the most recent casualty of decades of suburban creep that will continue to cost the area many of its last remaining vinous jewels…”.

Duarte Family:

For years, the Turley “Duarte Vineyard” Zinfandel included fruit from the “Evangelho”, “Pato”, and “Salvador” vineyards.

Turley 2013 “Duarte” Zinfandel details

To confuse the matter of the “Duarte Vineyard’s” identity, Jon Bonne wrote the following in a SF Gate article from 2009:

Duarte: Not new by any stretch, but as new winemakers turn to Contra Costa County vineyards, this parcel of old-vine Zinfandel - mostly known for the bottling by Turley - is likely to get more attention.

Here is a note from the previously cited Food & Wine article for Turley’s “Duarte” Zinfandel:

“…2011 Turley ‘Duarte’ Zinfandel ($35):
A tribute to the ancient vines of Contra Costa County, this red draws on the ‘Salvador’, ‘Evangelho’ ,and ‘Mori’ vineyards (the latter planted by a pair of gravedigger brothers in the 1940s).”

Turley Cellars’ website states that the “Duarte” Zinfandel is composed of fruit from “Evangelho”, “Mori”, and the “Del Barba” vineyards (“Salvador” was included in the blend through the 2019 vintage).

The Duarte family has/had a hold on a number of vineyard locations over its multigenerational tenure as local grapegrowers.

Several articles on this thread have made apparent that many prominent names in eastern Contra Costa’s grape-growing industry share family ties. One might facetiously assert that everyone is related in Oakley!

Tom Del Barba helped the writer of the “Co-CoFermented” blog locate a few Oakley vineyards, including the “Duarte Vineyard”, in an entry posted in September of 2010. The site was on Laurel Road, where a number of other ancient vineyards are/were situated.

sandland.jpg

From the Scholium Project library notes on the 2008 “Sandlands” bottling:

"After harvest, that vineyard [Duarte Vineyard] was turned into doomed subdivisions in Contra Costa County, and we lost track of the region - in spite of its wealth of remarkable old-vine red vineyards."

Scholium Project library notes: 2004 “Sandlands” “Duarte Vineyards”

A one-acre section of the “Duarte Vineyard” was designated “Jesse’s Vineyard”, in honor of Dwight Meadows’ father. This relict surrounds a house, and is all that remains of the “Duarte Vineyard”.

Roster of vineyards owned or farmed by Diablo Vista Vineyards, operated by Dwight Meadows’ son Aaron.

Cline Family Cellars Properties:

Cline Family Cellars owns Mulehead Growers as well as Oxford/Oxfoot Associates. The Cline/Jacuzzi family is the largest producer of wine from eastern Contra Costa County’s ancient vineyards. Cline Cellars offers several vineyard-designated Zinfandel and Rhône variety bottlings.

Big Break Vineyard:

The “Big Break Vineyard” (#01) was planted in the 1910s. Its name stems from a 1928 levee breach and flood.

River News Herald
“Big Break Regional Shoreline Provides Glimpse into the Delta”
May 29, 2013

“In 1928, a break in the levees separated an asparagus farm from the San Joaquin River and Dutch Slough, thus flooding out the area and creating ‘Big Break’. The vast acreage of water can be seen from the Antioch Bridge, and covers over two miles of shoreline in the City of Oakley. It is sometimes referred to as the ‘Inland Coast’…”.

Big Break Regional Shoreline

“The name ‘Big Break’ comes from a 1928 break in the levee that separated an asparagus farm from the San Joaquin River and Dutch Slough.”

Big Break Regional Shoreline’s website features a cool video, narrated by a very confident young’un, highlighting the park’s massive 3-D map of the East Bay:

Cline Cellars’ “Small Berry” Mourvèdre is sourced from a 9-acre block within the “Big Break Vineyard”. This ancient-vine bottling has increased in price substantially in recent years. A single-vineyard Grenache is sourced from a 40-year-old “Big Break” parcel.

Lucchesi Vineyard:

The grapes for Cline’s single-vineyard Petite Sirah are harvested from the “Lucchesi Vineyard”. Alan Lucchesi of Brownstone Growers is the vineyard manager for Cline Cellars’ Contra Costa properties.

There are at least two distinct vineyards that use the “Lucchesi” moniker.

The “Emerson Vineyard” is located within northeastern Oakley’s Dutch Slough Restoration Project site. Presently, Three Wine Co. makes wine from this ~14-acre plot of old-vine Carignan. In fact, Matt Cline played a pivotal role in preventing the vineyard’s destruction.

The “Emerson Vineyard” is known by several names: “Joaquin José / JJ”, “Lucchesi”, “Dutch Slough”.

Matt and Erin Cline’s Three Wine Company uses the “Lucchesi Vineyard” designation to honor that family’s long history of working with local wine grapes. Today, two Lucchesi brothers are associated with viticulture and viniculture. Mark owns Lucca Winery in Ripon; he sources his grapes from Oakley-area plantings. Alan serves Cline Cellars vineyard manager. Also, as owner of Brownstone Growers, he oversees the farming of many Antioch, Oakley, Brentwood, and Knightsen vineyards.

Alan Lucchesi’s Brownstone Road property appears to be the “Lucchesi Vineyard” of Cline Cellars.

Bridgehead Vineyard:

The “Bridgehead Vineyard” is a large, triangle-shaped planting, located at the intersection of Oakley’s Main Street and Bridgehead Road. The ancient vines are just South of the town’s old DuPont site. Cline produces a single-vineyard Zinfandel from its grapes.

According to the Cline Cellars website:

Our ‘Bridgehead’ vineyard is named for Bridgehead Road in Oakley, California, to which it runs adjacent. This vineyard consistently produces one of our most individual and refined lots of Zinfandel. Planted by Italian immigrants well before the turn of the century, the vines are head-trained, dry-farmed in sandy soil, and engulfed in a unique band of cooling air from the Sacramento and San Joaquin Rivers. This produces a stunning, concentrated harvest.”

Portions of the “Bridgehead Vineyard” (#02 & #03), as well as the “Big Break Vineyard” were accidentally exposed to defoliants sprayed by a BNSF crew around March of 2016. A lawsuit is ongoing.

Live Oak Vineyard:

The third major Cline Contra Costa vineyard is “Live Oak”, which yields a larger-bodied, more opulent interpretation of Zinfandel. As there exists a street in Oakley by the same name, it theoretically should not be difficult getting a geographic fix on the vineyard.

Cline Life: “Live Oak Zinfandel - Zin Lovers Only!”

** EDIT ** May 19, 2021

The “Live Oak Vineyard” bottling originally was composed of fruit from the “Marchetti Vineyard” and the “Romiti Vineyard” (which was sold around 2019).

The “Marchetti Vineyard” is located at 20 Poco Lane in Oakley, off of Live Oak Avenue (Southwest of the corner of Oakley Road and Live Oak Avenue). The vines are approximately 60-years-old.

Massoni Vineyard:

The “Massoni Vineyard” (#13) is one source of Grenache composing 16% of Cline Cellars’ “Cashmere” red blend. The bottling also includes 62% Mourvèdre and 22% Syrah. While the producer’s data sheets identify the places of origin for the Grenache grapes (“Massoni” and “Big Break”), vineyards contributing the remaining percentages of the wine are not named. Perhaps this is because the Mourvèdre and Syrah grapes are harvested from Cline’s CoCo and Sonoma vineyards, respectively.

The “Massoni Vineyard” is locate on Tule Road, just outside the Oakley city limits. I believe another “Massoni Vyd” once existed.

Image: “Massoni Vineyard”

Del Barba Family Properties:

Roster of vineyards owned or farmed by the Del Barba family

Recognition of the Del Barba family name has grown as its appearance on wine labels recently has increased. More than one “Del Barba” vineyard site is found in Oakley. The Del Barba “home vineyard” is on Rose Avenue, just South of Main Street. Another Del Barba planting is down Rose Ave near Laurel Road. The Del Barbas, like the Gonsalves family and Alan Lucchesi’s Mulehead Growers, tend to multiple Oakley vineyards.

A Co-CoFermented blog entry from September 11, 2010, shares the following information about Mr Tom Del Barba’s vineyard work:

"Although a ‘Del Barba Vineyard’ designation rarely graces a label, estate fruit has been a key component in several bottlings over the years. Cline, Bonny Doon, our pal Matt Cline at Three Wine Company, and, most recently, winemaker Tadeo Borchardt at Neyers are among ‘Del Barba Vineyards’ clients past and present.

"The stuff being picked today at the Laurel property was a prime ingredient in Bonny Doon’s ‘Cardinal Zin’, and the relationship with ‘CZ’s’ new owners, The Wine Group, continues the love. In fact, Bonny Doon founder/winemaker, Randall Grahm is a big fan of the ‘Del Barba’ Mourvèdre, having used it for his ‘Old Telegram’ and ‘Le Cigare Volant’ projects.

"…Tom was also a wealth of information and lore about some of the crazy-quilt vineyards we were trying to identify. Turns out that ‘Duarte’ is located a few blocks over, also on Laurel. The other ‘Del Barba’ parcels are situated all along Rose Avenue, and - wonder of wonders - because of the way Main Street curves, that post office plot of Alicante
[Bouschet] and Mataro is actually the back part of ‘Del Barba’! And that post office plot is one of Randall Grahm’s faves!.."

The ancient-growth “Oakley Road Vineyard” identified on labels of Once & Future Wine Co.'s Mataro and Zinfandel bottlings is located at the northwest corner of Neroly Road and Oakley Road.

Continente Vineyard:

110° Magazine
“JAC Continente”
By Robbie Simmonds
September 29, 2017

"Three Continente brothers - Giovanni, Gesuere, and Andrea - moved into the Oakley area in the 1900s, setting up home on the same property Continente Ranch occupies today. Their involvement with food production, however, was a legacy stretching back to their roots in Monte Di Procida, a province of Naples, Italy. They were attracted to the area because the climate and soil were similar to that in their Italian home.

“Andrea was the key member of the family behind Continente Ranch’s subsequent history. His grandson John and other family members continue to manage the family operations that markets wine grapes in their local vineyard.”

Convenient Business website
Directory: “Continente Inc.”

“112 Sandy Ln, Oakley, CA, 94561-2937”

Roster of vineyards farmed or owned by Continente family

Continente Country Store website’s “About Us” page

“Our company has a very rich history in the Oakley area. The Continente Family established residency in Oakley, in the early 1900s, the same location where we are headquartered today. Our company’s involvement in the food industry traces back to Italy, prior to our ancestors immigrating to the United States. As in Italy, we have been involved in farming and producing various fruits, vegetables and nut products. Over time we found that we could service our consumer best by specializing in two arenas: the walnut industry as Continente Nut LLC and grapes for the table wine market. The family run limited partnership of Continente Ranch LP farms 25 acres of grape for its exclusive vendor, Bogle Vineyards.”

Spinelli Vineyard:

Co-CoFermented blog
“Spinelli Doctor”
September 5, 2010

"Assuming the history to be accurate, the current property was planted over 100 years ago by Portuguese settlers named Azevedo. In 1955, a Gustavo Spinelli and his family began managing the vineyard for the Azevedos, purchasing the 18-acre property outright in 1970. Apparently a mere 5 acres of vines remain, and Matt now leases vineyard acreage at Spinelli from a corporate owner.

“…We were marveling at the juxtaposition of ancient vines and modern buildings. Few were more jarring than the west side of Highway 4 at Live Oak Avenue, and confirmation of corporate ownership came when Matt colorfully hipped me to the fact that smack dab in the middle ‘of some of the greatest Zin in’ CoCo, some developer erected an absolute ‘monstrosity’ of an apartment building.”

Matt Cline made use of “Spinelli Vineyard” Mataro/Mourvedre fruit while serving as winemaker for Trinitas (bottling the wine as “Spinelli Live Oak Vineyard”) and for his more recent independent winery, Three Wine Company.

Pato Vineyard:

The Pato Vineyard, named for long-time owner/farmer Rich Pato, has produced grapes for wineries including Ridge, Neyers, Rosenblum, Biale, Scholium Project, Orin Swift, and is now being leased by Bedrock Wine Company from the Contra Costa Water District.

Co-CoFermented blog
Sunday, October 10, 2010

“Originally planted in 1896, back in the days when Oakley was a convenient railhead for shipping grapes back east, Rich’s plot comprises 26 acres planted to old-vine Petite Sirah, Zinfandel and Mourvèdre. Located directly across busy Empire Avenue from Stan and Gertie Planchon’s vineyard, it’s also a textbook study in Oakley’s past and present: Directly adjacent to majestic vines looking forward to their 115th birthday, there’s an ongoing engineering-and-asphalt development designed to widen Empire to double its traffic capacity. From ‘railhead’ to ‘Road work ahead. Fines double in work zones’ in a scant hundred years. As someone who makes his livelihood farming this single plot of vineyard acreage, Rich Pato describes the seemingly never-ending Empire-building as ‘a pain in the neck.’”

Scholium Project 2008 “Sandlands” Details:

“Tegan insisted that I return and introduced me to Rich Pato, who had a little 140-year old Mataro to sell. We bought 2 tons to check out the vineyard, asked Alex Kongsgaard to supervise harvest and pick up the fruit for us. On harvest day, we received 2 tons of fruit that was so big that the berries looked like golf balls.
We despaired for quality.
We were so wrong”

I somehow overlooked the third video from Bedrock Wine Company on the “Evangelho Vineyard”, posted to YouTube in August of 2017.

Chris Cottrell and Morgan Twain-Peterson discuss how the team came to source fruit from the previous owner, Mr Frank Evangelho. These two interweave a great story - informative and colorful - with the vineyard’s unusual location evoking surreal associations of a Don DeLillo novel.

Bedrock ultimately purchased the 36-acre vineyard (yielding ~140 tons of fruit annually). I am uncertain whether this includes the land previously leased from PG&E by Mr Evangelho. It gives me great pleasure to know that the future of this culturally significant site is in the hands of a company that is closely involved in the preservation of old-vine grape-growing sites.

Antioch Assessor’s Parcel Map of the “Evangelho Vineyard” and surrounding area:

PDF Download:
“Evangelho Vineyard” Antioch, CA (2.02 MB PDF attachment)

Additional Resources:

Wine Berserkers
Antioch ‘E 18th St Specific Plan’ Parcel Map

November 23, 2021

Wine Berserkers
“‘Eastern Waterfront Employment Area’ - Antioch 2003 General Plan”
January 13, 2022

Antioch Prospector Interactive Map

Contra Costa County
Assessor’s Office website:
https://www.contracosta.ca.gov/191/Assessor

Assessor Maps & Property Information:
https://www.contracosta.ca.gov/552/Maps-Property-Information

· CCMap Interactive Tool

· ParcelQuest Lite

Contra Costa County
Dept of Conservation and Development website:
https://www.contracosta.ca.gov/3383/Conservation-Development

As I attempt to conjure a simplified, interesting way to present the contents of the ACVP Vineyard Inventory Map (a Google Earth file), the Oakley city council’s program to preserve area vineyards continues. For the moment, the council is working on making vineyard signs to increase awareness and interest in Oakley’s strong viticultural heritage.

Also, the City of Oakley is taking steps to provide its mascot vineyard - the “Walnut Meadows Vineyard” - a permanent, stable source of power since the plot’s ancient Alicante Bouschet vines were transplanted several years ago. The vineyard has relied on generator-provided electricity since its establishment.

As the city increases in its commercial and residential development, funds from the $7,000,000 settlement Greenbelt Alliance will become available. If Oakley fails to have created meaningful, comprehensive plans for the money’s use, other nearby counties could have access to the funds.

5995c323c38f1.image.png
The Press
“Oakley Looks to Explore Vineyards”
Oct 26, 2017

"The City of Oakley is gearing up for the next phase of its Agricultural Conservation and Viticulture Program.

"…‘The purpose of the Agricultural Conservation and Viticulture Program is to implement a well thought out and inclusive program, where the city council can effectively continue development in the city boundaries while maintaining the viable and important agriculture aspects of Oakley,’ said Liz DiGiorgio, Agricultural Natural Resources Trust executive director.

"City leaders plan to list potential projects and priorities to implement, which may include putting signs on existing vineyards to market city-grown grapes and local wines.

"…As city officials hash out priorities for the future, they are also keeping an eye on possible funding sources for the program, which could include a 2011 farmland mitigation settlement between the City of Oakley, the Greenbelt Alliance and a number of property owners and landowners over the future development of homes along a stretch of the East Cypress Corridor.

"Once development begins in the area, the mitigation fund is slated to generate about $7 million for the preservation of farmlands in Contra Costa County, but the money could also be used to protect lands in Solano, Sacramento, San Joaquin and Yolo counties under the terms of the settlement. It’s expected that the money could begin rolling in as soon as 2019, said City Planner Ken Strelo.

"…‘Hopefully, the San Francisco Foundation feels the same way we do – that money should stay here unless we don’t have projects for them. Then they will be forced to move on,’ he said.

“A city subcommittee will continue to meet with city staff to develop a list of 10 projects, which would then be shared with the council and reduced to the top three or four ideas.”

Click here to download the City of Oakley ACVP, Phase 1 notes

★ We interrupt your regular wine programming to bring you this EXTREMELY LATE Earthquake Alert!!! ★

From 2015, no less! :astonished:

“3.6 Quake in Contra Costa County Shakes Bay Area”
by Dan Brekke
May 3, 2015

"…Even close to the epicenter, those responding described the quake’s intensity as ‘weak’ to ‘light.’

“The USGS summary of the largest quake places it on the Concord fault. The summary reports that the rate of movement, or ‘creep,’ on the fault is about one-sixth of an inch per year. Also, the USGS says, the best current guess is that the fault last produced a major earthquake two to five centuries ago.”

20150412_062136_CCT-CONFAULT-0412-web.jpg
East Bay Times
“Little Known Concord Fault Poses Big Threat”
April 11, 2015

"‘The Concord Fault is significantly more active than the fault that caused the Napa earthquake,’ said Chris Wills of the California Geological Survey, referring to the 6.0 wine country temblor last August that caused more than $400 million in damage. ‘Nobody would be surprised if a magnitude-6 earthquake happened on the Concord Fault tomorrow.’

"Make no mistake, Concord’s contribution to the Bay Area’s geologic activity is significantly smaller than the San Andreas and Hayward zones.

"…The Concord Fault creeps a measly 4 to 5 millimeters annually, while the Hayward slips 9 millimeters and San Andreas 25 millimeters.

“The last catastrophic temblor on the Contra Costa-Solano combo fault struck more than 400 years ago, but geologists still say it’s important to monitor.”

USGS Concord 2015 Earthquake Report & Interactive Faultline Map

More Geology-Oriented Information Related to Contra Costa County:

California Geological Survey
“2002 CALIFORNIA FAULT PARAMETERS -
San Francisco Bay Region”

KQED
“Mt Diablo State Park Exploration”
by Craig Rosa and Robin Marks
December 4, 2007

"Looming over the landscape near Walnut Creek, Mt. Diablo is a paradox: it has some of the oldest rocks in the Bay Area, yet it’s one of the region’s youngest geological features, having risen at most only about 2 million years ago (by mountain standards, that makes it a real whipper-snapper). And even though it looks for all the world like a volcano, it isn’t one.

"If you were to clean out an old trunk that you’d been steadily tossing things into for years, you’d probably notice a pattern: the items at the bottom of the trunk would be the oldest ones, left there years before the things sitting at the top. The same is true for layers of rock… usually. Mt. Diablo is just the opposite: the oldest rock is found at the summit of the mountain, and the newest rock at the bottom.

“How can this be? Geologists are still stumped about some aspects of the mountain’s formation. What they believe is that Diablo was once a slab of ocean floor that was pushed up and folded by the forces of plates moving past each other. This folding drove the oldest tiers toward the top. If you could cut Mt. Diablo in half and look at these layers from the side, it would resemble a sandwich standing on end. The oldest rocks would be the filling, flanked by a younger layer of rock on each side, flanked again on each side by an even younger layer, and so on.”

Mt. Diablo Interpretive Association website
Geologic Map of Mt Diablo

Mt. Diablo Interpretive Association website
“How Was Contra Costa County Named?”
by Jose Ignacio Rivera

“The Portola-Serra Expedition of 1769-1770 was the first real attempt to establish Spanish settlements in Alta California. Baja (Lower) California is the part of the then state that is now in modern-day Mexico and Alta (Upper) California is in the United States. The Portola-Serra Expedition followed the coast northward on foot and horse, while sending another party by ship with supplies. Right about modern-day Pacifica Portola sent a scouting party to the top of the peninsula mountains to hunt for deer meat. A naval officer named Miguel Costanso saw the south bay and reported seeing a large estuary, with a good stand of ‘madera en la contra costa’ (timber on the opposite coast).”

Many years later, when it came time to assign a name to the California county, the obvious choice for some was “Diablo County”, given the prominent geological feature in the region. However, religious citizens and officials urged that a different moniker be found, and the popular selection of “Contra Costa County” was used.

Mt. Diablo Interpretive Association Homepage

As I have mentioned previously, Alan Lucchesi farms many of the vineyards in the Oakley area with Mulehead Growers, a business owned by Cline Cellars.

It so happens that there is another Lucchesi brother, Mark, who has been producing wines from old Contra Costa sites at his Lucca Winery, located in Ripon, California.
2014-10-23-20.59.17-300x200.jpg
Lucca Winery Homepage:

http://luccawinery.com

[u]History[/u]:

"Dionisio Lucchesi immigrated from Italy, and landed in Oakley, a small farming community in the Delta region of the Central Valley. He purchased land along O’Hara Avenue and planted grapes, almonds, and apricots. His love of the land and his passion for farming were passed to his son, Guido, who continued as caretaker for the trees, vines, and the sandy soil in which they grew. During Guido’s tenure, the apricots and almonds were harvested and sold, but a small portion of each grape harvest was retained for his own venture into homemade wine. Without any formal training, Guido created wines from his zinfandel grapes that he shared with his family and friends.

“In 1990 Guido’s son, Alan, took over stewardship of Lucchesi Family Farms. He expanded the operation to include over 400 acres of vines. Alan shared grapes harvested from his Oakley properties with his brother, Mark, an almond and peach farmer in Ripon. Mark began making small batches of wine to share. After a number of years, his production increased, and he began experimenting with blends. Mark’s interest in crafting and perfecting his homemade wine culminated in Lucca Winery.”

Aside from producing an old-vine Mourvèdre, old-vine Zinfandel, old-vine Carignane, Grenache, and Sangiovese, Mr Mark Lucchesi also bottles different blends of the above varieties, as well as dessert wine. Everything costs about $20/btl.

I believe that all of the fruit is from Oakley vineyards, and Mr Lucchesi previously has shared the following with me:

"My name is Mark Lucchesi and I own and operate Lucca Winery. All of my grapes are sourced from vineyards located in Antioch, Oakley, and Knightsen in Contra Costa County. The vineyards are farmed by my brother Alan Lucchesi who lives in Oakley. The grapes are delivered to my winery in Ripon, Ca. where we process the grapes and make the wine. I only receive about 5% of my brother’s grapes as the balance are mainly sent to Cline Cellars in Sonoma, CA and a small portion to the 3 Winery in Clarksberg, CA.

"The majority of the vineyards are relatively old (some over 100 years) and consist mainly of Zinfandel, Mourvèdre, Carignane, Grenache, Petite Sirah, and Syrah. Mainly Rhone region varieties and the vineyards are planted on very sandy soils and are mainly dry farmed( non irrigated. This area where the grapes are grown produces very dark, deep, earthy wines that are very rich as the warm days and the cooling at night from the delta breezes are ideal for these varieties exhibiting the above notes.

“I hope this helps and the 3 Winery does name a Carignane after my brother.

Cheers,
Mark Lucchesi”

Lucca Winery
209-761-5553

Here’s a link to an issue of San Joaquin Magazine with a highlight of the winery (pages 64-64):

CoCo Confusion (…continued):

Ghilarducci Vineyard:

I have not yet found a wine with this vineyard’s name on the label. However, there are reasons to include the “Ghilarducci Vineyard” among the plantings highlighted in this thread.

“Ghilarducci Vineyard” is located at the southwest corner of O’Hara Avenue and Carpenter Road - at the epicenter of what could be called Oakley’s “chopping block”. Ms Linda Ghilarducci, a former employee of a school near her home and vineyard, has held on to her family’s plot through the area’s recent surge of agricultural land sales. She grew up there; she specifically remembers picking grapes as a child.

Ms Ghilarducci, with Oakley roots as deep as those beneath her family vineyard, even attempted to establish a wine-tasting center in her own back yard!

Image: “Ghilarducci Vineyard” (from RedFin)

East Bay Times
“Family Wants to Promote Oakley Vineyards”
by Paula King
April 22, 2008

"The Ghilarducci family came to Oakley from Italy in 1922 and tending to the vineyards in their O’Hara Avenue back yard was an integral part of life on their property. That is why a historic grape crusher, vat, and windmill will greet visitors at the future Tre Sorelle wine tasting facility slated for 2141 O’Hara.

"‘We did stomp the grapes all the time,’ said Linda Ghilarducci, who lives on the family property. ‘That is why it is really important to leave that history.’

"Tre Sorelle means ‘Three Sisters’ in Italian, and the name represents the Ghilarducci sisters who are involved in making this family dream - first conceptualized in 2002 - a reality.

“‘The whole idea is they want to show Oakley and what Oakley has to offer in the wine world,’ said former Brentwood City Councilwoman Ana Gutierrez, representing the family at Monday night’s Oakley Planning Commission meeting. ‘It will be a place to showcase wine and promote agriculture.’

"The commission unanimously approved the project’s development plan and a conditional use permit for the 450-square-foot wine tasting facility, a picnic area, restrooms in a remodeled garage and a small sales area. The wine-tasting area will be situated between the property’s existing house and the heritage vineyard.

"‘This is just what Oakley needs. It is a start. You are preserving your heritage,’ Commissioner Jim Frazier said to the Ghilarducci family.

"…Tre Sorelle will not be considered a winery with no wine production on-site. The wine grapes will continue to be shipped out for production by other wine labels, including Cline Cellars.

“‘They grow grapes there, but they don’t have the large facilities there to make the wine. So it is made off-site and will be brought back for wine tasting,’ said Henson."

"…At recent civic meetings, Oakley residents have been clamoring for a wine destination business like this.

“‘I’m looking forward to tasting the wine,’ Huerta said."

Improving local and regional awareness of the city’s agricultural and winemaking heritage via the efforts of a commercial venture? Heck yes! Isn’t that precisely what Oakley needs?

So…what happened? The Tre Sorelle business apparently never took off. The ground was never broken. There exists no trace of the dream save for the above newspaper article and a single mention on a PDF of a 2008 CEQA assessment of 1,285 governmental and private development plans.

Why Ghilarducci’s project never opened remains unknown.

*** EDIT ***

The Lucchesi family (Mulehead Growers) owns a differentGhilarducci Vineyard”.

I couldn’t help but notice the beauty of Oakley’s vines and fruit in a local newspaper’s ornamental flourish-articles…

The Press
“Vineyards Asleep for the Winter”
by Tony Kukulich
February 15, 2018
5a85d112e9033.image.jpg
“Press photographer Tony Kukulich captured a bucolic shot of a local vineyard off Brownstone Avenue in Oakley. Winter rains have turned the weeds and grass between the vineyards green, but the grapes are still dormant.”

The Press
“East County Grapes Ripe for the Picking”
by Tony Kukulich
August 17, 2017
5995c323c38f1.image.png
“Ripening in the summer sun, these wine grapes growing in a vineyard on the corner of O’Hara Avenue and Laurel Road in Oakley look nearly ready to pick – or perhaps find their way into a local wine bottle or two.”

The Press
“Oakley Vineyards Turn Bright Green After the Recent Storms”
by Tony Kukulich
January 26, 2017
588a4d15ea9b3.image.png
“The recent string of storms has brought out the color in this vineyard on Brownstone Road across from Price Lane in Oakley. The break in the weather and a hint of sun has nurtured the growth of greenery in much of East County this week. Could spring be on the way?”

Hey Drew, I was looking up an address in Concord today and noticed that there is an area on Google Maps called Vine Hill, located between Concord and Martinez.

Google Maps: Vine Hill

Wikipedia: Vine Hill, California

Maybe you’ve noted this already, and I don’t know the origins of the name, but thought I’d post this.

The vineyard pictured twice there belongs to Greg Castanho- one of the nicest men you will ever meet. He loads every box of fruit that gets picked from Evangelho and Pato Vineyards as well.

Thanks for the pointer, Morgan!

The name has popped up in the past, including your own Evangelho Vineyard write-up, but my independent attempts to get a fix on the relationship between the man and the vineyard had been fruitless up to now.

The City of Oakley ACVP Vineyard Map states that this property(#44), SW of Brownstone Rd and Anderson Ln (SE of Price Ln), is owned by “Joe & Rose Teixira, Trustees”. However, a Google search reveals that Mr Castanho and the Teixiras concurrently share a mailing address - the southern parcel of the “Castanho Vineyard” (#45). Perhaps this is one more case of everyone being related in Oakley?!?

Pinpointing the “Castanho Vineyard” (#44-45) has been a thorn in my side ever since I got a bottle of the Dropout Mourvèdre!!

I was given an approximate location for the vineyard, but not the actual address. In truth, the City of Oakley has no exact address for the place: ~600 Brownstone Rd!!

The “Castanho Vineyard” may not be truly old-vine, but I can overlook that when the juice is good! :slight_smile:
mapImg.png
mapImg (1).png

Ken, off the top of my head, all I can find is a mention of Vine Hill among the vineyards/properties of Mr Digardi, noted in this thread, here.

You might wish to download the “Wayward Tendrils” website’s looong “A History of the Napa Viticultural District”, which includes the histories of Napa, Solano, and Contra Costa Counties.

My knowledge of CoCo’s West-side winemaking history is virtually nill, aside from the Edible East Bay article that states:

“In the early twentieth century, Martinez and Oakley, not Rutherford and St. Helena, were darlings of the wine world. The Christian Brothers winery was in Martinez, the world’s largest wine cellar was Winehaven in Richmond, and 6,000 acres were under vine.”

I will share more if I find something…

Viano Vineyards is on Vine Hill in Martinez. Those vineyards have been there for about 130 years I think.

Thanks for the pointer, Matt!

My brain is not always firing on all cylinders. :stuck_out_tongue:

Given the pricing of the wines from Viano, Zinfandel from 130-year-old plantings at ~$10-15/btl is ridiculous!!!

The webpage could use a little sprucing up, but that might just be my bitterness speaking (they don’t ship to where I live). :wink:

Here’s what the Viano Vineyards site says about the estate:

"Conrad Viano Winery:

"Our century-old vineyard is nestled on hillsides surrounding a fertile little valley where cooling breezes from the Carquinez Straits provide the necessary balance of heat and coolness. Here in our valley, we have a proven combination of ideal soil and climatic conditions favorable for growing premium wine grapes. Included are Chardonnay, Chenin Blanc, French Columbard, Muscat Canelli, Cabernet Sauvignon, Gamay, Petite Sirah, Sangiovese and Zinfandel.

"This Family Estate, now with its 4th and 5th generations, was founded by the Viano family in 1920. They purchased the already planted vineyard which was established in 1888. It reminded them of their vineyards in Piedmont, Italy. This area, once so rich in grapes, was named Vine Hill and home to more than 15 wineries.

“Some of the original vines still remain while the balance of the vineyard has been expanded and replanted to keep up with new world tastes and desires. Using the most natural, cultural practices possible, combined with traditional winemaking techniques, which includes natural yeast and aging in small oak cooperage, we bring you these fine handcrafted wines.”

While the Viano “Zin Port” contains fruit from +70-year-old vines, I am fairly sure that the “Sand Rock Hill” Reserve Zinfandel is the sole bottling produced with +100-year-old vine fruit, per the description of the wine on the site:

2012 Contra Costa County Sand Rock Hill Zinfandel
Vineyard: Estate, Sand Rock Hill
Composition: 100% Zinfandel
Harvest date: September 16, 2012
Sugar: 24.5 Brix
Total acid: .75g/100ml
pH: 3.56
Aging: 12 months French Oak
Release date: December 2015
Vineyard: The Sand Rock Hill vineyard consists of 85-129 year old vines growing on sandrock. The soil varies from 6 inches to 3 feet in depth, producing smaller berries with great intensity and flavor.

Tasting notes: Our 2012 Reserve Selection Sand Rock Hill Zinfandel has a full regiment of ripe fruit, excellent depth, with a spicy finish. Perfect with savory grilled meats. Limited production - 300 cases”

Viano Vineyards Homepage