BERSERKER COGNAC SELECTED! (please sign up for bottles on post 1!)

I believe the consensus pick is the 85 Petite Champagne. I will collate all the notes on it here. Price for the 1985 is 185 euros (~$200) with no VAT (700 mL). The cognac can be directly ordered from Cognac Pasquet and will be directly shipped from there to any US state. Shipping will be approximately $45 for one bottle and $55 for two bottles ($65 for 4 bottles). We will have a minimum commitment of 120 bottles, with a maximum of about 200-250 bottles. I will create a google spreadsheet where people can commit to bottles, and once we have 120 we can submit the order for the cognac, which should only take about a month to be prepared and sent out.

The link to commit to purchase a bottle is here.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-gQyKJl6Z1vJirUHjoNEcHTsir7c_gPJZB2X25V1sC8/edit

My notes: Petite Champagne from 1985 (52.3% ABV) Crème brûlée, Ginger, white pepper and a hint of burnt incense on the nose. A bit of barley on the palate, SUPER long complex finish with myriad flavors. This was the most vinous of the cognacs and the finish was stunning. I could drink this all day. COTF #1/4

Troy/Gina Stark: Gina’s first comment “This is different, in a good way.” Both of us thought the nose on this was “darker, more serious.” We thought there were “earthy” notes (Gina said “decaying leaves”, Troy says “moss and underbrush”). Some strong toasted notes, along with caramelized apple. Oloroso Sherry notes as well as freshly ground pink peppercorn. On the palate, this is the richest, most mouth-coating. It has real weight and substance. It’s also the smoothest and roundest with the least amount of overt heat. This is overtly sweet. I mean, there’s no sugar in it, but it seems like it’s sweet. There’s a dense, long finish, which again gives an impression of sweetness, along with vanilla and some dried lemon peel. This would appeal to someone who likes high-end Rye. There’s a lot going on here.

Ultimately, we were torn between the Fine Bois and the 85 PC. They are both very good, but are appealing for different reasons. The Fine Bois has an intoxicating nose, but more heat on the palate. The PC 85 is more serious and probably has more going on on the palate. Maybe a slight edge to the Fine Bois if you want to pick something with broader appeal. If you want a more “Cognac drinker’s Cognac,” maybe pick the PC 85.

Patrick Taylor: This was the most malleable of the samples. Oddly, while there was no alcohol on the nose, the first sips were quite harsh and medicinal. The front palate was sweet like toffee, not syrupy like butterscotch, but the finish was overweight and ponderous. When I added a drop of water, it was like night and day. The front, middle, and finish became much more integrated. Adding two or three additional drops of water caused the cognac to be even more interesting. It was as if the cognac was putting on its best face no matter the conditions.

Alan Rath: Petite Champagne from 1985 (52.3% ABV) slight hint of sweetness on the nose, hard to distinguish this from the PC90s, the alcohol is prominent, should have added a bit of water to these.

Will Segui: PC85 had a depth, good fruit/flavor and a long, enjoyable finish.

3 Likes

I’m interested, but might be priced out given your purchase history :wink:

1 Like

I’ve had pretty good luck with Pasquet picks, I’d gladly participate

for sure I’m in, it’s a Berserker bottling - I’m in for all those, whatever is bottled!

2 Likes

We’ll see what the cost comes in at but I believe the two done with serious brandy were in the ~300/btl price point including tax and shipping from Europe. I’m going to discuss what our options are and arrange to get samples to our tasters after I have a sense of what’s available and who’s interested in doing that.

3 Likes

I’d be interested.

1 Like

Interested. I also might be priced out. Probably 1 or 2 bottles if I buy.

Ok I went back to look at the prior collab and the prior cognac picks were 48 and 50 year old (1971 and 1973 vintage, although cognac doesn’t allow you to label as such) cask strength grande champagne cognac bottled at 100 and 104 proof.

Here’s some tasting notes from those. Our bottling will be different so pricing and notes will be completely different.

“ I opened this bottle awhile ago, immediately poured, and thought its acidity and dryness dominated the palate and finish. The nose was tight with only pine and lemon dominating. Of course, I know better, and waited… Poured tonight after a month in the bottle and let it sit for 45 minutes. And I was rewarded immensely.

Nose - backdrop of caramel/toffee with whiffs of pine, floral, grapes, peach, and lemon. Vanilla is always just there on the edge of the caramel.

Palate - a quick burst of sweetness, caramel and nuts, lead to bright notes of peaches, nectarines, stone fruits in general, floral and segue into a lemon-like acidity, before vanilla, oak and strong pepper accompanies the alcohol. There is a subtle mintiness (is this related to the pine I’m smelling in the nose?) that accompanies the pepper and extends throughout the finish.

Finish - the pepper provides a sturdy backbone for the stonefruits, lemon, and (very subtle) mint to dance around. It is acidic and dry, but not tannic. Vanilla and caramel are teased but the sweetness never quite arrives. The pepper slowly degrades while the peaches continue to bounce and bound for a long while.

9/10 - I would prefer more a touch more overt sweetness on the finish, instead of the suggestion of it. The nose is spectacular and its themes recur in the palate and finish in various arrangements. This is a complicated pour that rewards patience.”

“Ok, cracked 71 first. Big bold fruit flavors balanced with some spicy, peppery notes. This is a balanced bomb of a cognac. Definitely no mistaking what this is and it’s delicious!”

“ “Much as I remember it. Peaches, stone Fruit, almost a slate dryness, rancio, bubblegum, tellicherry pepper.”

“the finish is so long and volleys back and forth between all the flavor above. So wonderful!”

“ “It’s so full and thick in the mouth feel- so vital. It’s unctuous. It’s almost like syrup.”

“It’s like a cross between armangac and cognac. It’s full of those dark fruit notes but with bright grape notes and tannic wood and mineral notes also.”

“ Opened the Lot 73 today. Granted I have a cold and fairly congested but took a flier.

Poured into a glencairn (all I had) and rested for 10 min. Immediately the nose is dominated by figs, apricots, sugar. There’s a brightness to it on top of the age.

On the taste those same dried fruits and sugars are front and center. The mouthfeel is oily and really coats the mouth and tongue. As it hits the middle and back tongue the wine forward flavors come through. There’s no mistaking this is a cognac and not a whiskey.

Finish is long and lasts on the back of the tongue and throat. No harshness. The dark fruit and fig notes are still there but subtle. The sweetness is perfect and not cloying.

I’ll update this when my cold goes away to see what else I’ve missed.”

1 Like

I’m very interested!

1 Like

I have cognac from both vintages that are labeled as such (not the age, but the vintage). I may be interested in a couple of bottles depending on the product and price.

EDIT: Just checked the 1973. It was English bottled (J&B), if that makes a difference in regulations

1 Like

I’m sure it does make a difference. Also, not sure if regulations changed at some point. I know most cognac producers label as “lot 73” or something to reflect 1973 vintage.

Interested !

1 Like

How goes Pasquet compare to Normandin Mercier?

interested

1 Like

Similar, both high quality producers with access to excellent casks. Very much on the vinous side, not the more charred barrel type that would appeal more to bourbon drinkers. If you like Normandin Mercier you would like Pasquet. I approached Pasquet first for a couple reasons; they make excellent cognac that I really enjoy and I think wb people would love them, because in the last collab they were able to ship directly which will make it easier for people to get the bottles, and also because Amy Pasquet is American I believe and is extremely easy to correspond with. If this goes well I may approach Normandin mercier in the future; as you know, I really like them.

I’m interested.

1 Like

I’m interested, especially now that I have 4 whiskey glasses coming from BD.

1 Like

I’m interested~!

2 Likes

Interested depending on price

2 Likes

Interested.

1 Like