Another Flannery PSA

We did a Flannery rack of lamb last night. It was really, truly exceptional. I didnā€™t take a picture ā€“ we ate it too fast.

2011 Allemand Chaillot was the perfect pairing.

Man, that club roast was superb. Didnā€™t have the issue I have sometimes with the edge pieces being tougher. It was all delicious and the leftovers were excellent day 2.

For those that donā€™t Monopole CrĆ¼ here there was just a killa offer.

I killed it!

1 Like

Tease.

Maybe if you say what the offer was, not how to get it of course, it might prove more incentive??? :slight_smile:

Not sure how much flak Iā€™ll catch from Todd on it (Todd- let me know and Iā€™ll take the comment down), but hereā€™s a little preview of what the Monopole Cru perks look like for those interested:

Bryan and Katie were fulfilling an order for a new restaurant but halfway through it, the chef apparently changed his mind about the specs, so they offered those at wholesale price to Monopole Cru members. Sold out in 20min.

Iā€™ve said this before, but in my book Monopole Cru is a no brainer. If one subscribes to any professional wine publication, think about how much information you gleam from that and from this board. I easily get $100 of value a year from Wine Berserkers without any of the additional perks just from all the information shared by other Berserkers. Add in the extra perks and deals that Monopole Cru provides and itā€™s an easy decision.

Plus, you help to keep the forum in business. After all, we need to have somewhere to go on our crazy wine rants with those who can sympathise.

I received my pork caps today and they look great. Does anyone know if these would be suitable for smoking?

Iā€™d do it. I had a hard time getting flavor from my previous pork caps just grilling with S&P so if I were to do them again Iā€™d brine and smoke for sure.

1 Like

I smoke mine. Stuffed with garlic and sage

2 Likes

Oh no. I regret my pork cap purchase. I smoked it and itā€™s incredible. Iā€™m so upset I only got 2 :frowning:

Only takes 1 to be hooked

I grilled the two we picked up a couple of years ago and they were fantastic. Happy I picked up 4 this round :wink:

Have a new smoker, so will have to do a side-by-side. Iā€™ll take one for the team when they land and report back!

1 Like

Getting mine next week; thinking reverse sear after a 24h dry brine.

Honestly, I just did a very simple smoke on my 18oz pork cap (about 2.5 hours at 220-230ish) with no brine and just some dry rub and yellow mustard and it was pretty ridiculous. There is so much fat in this cut that itā€™s sooo juicy and the fat renders quite nicely. After having a few slices to taste, I cut about half of it into little strips and put it in some ramen and it was perfect for that.

Iā€™m not going to argue this is the absolute best way to prepare it, but it was easy and delicious.

Iā€™m envious. But we have such amazing pork available to us here from farms in Lancaster County that I canā€™t justify buying pork from California. Iā€™ll live vicariously.

Planning to do the same this weekend on the Egg.

What was the internal temp of the pork cap when you pulled it?

I pulled it at 150 degrees, per Flanneryā€™s advice (internal temp of 140 - 150). Honestly, I probably wouldā€™ve pulled it at 140 but I was working and not watching it super closely. It was fantastic, tender, and super juicy at 150 though.

1 Like

Salted a beautiful Flannery CA Reserve strip overnight (from Berserkerday) and went for a reverse sear, same plan as I usually do. The temp somehow spiked and I ended up with a medium-well brick in a few minutes. The flavor and texture were both great but it was a bit of a buzzkill to say the least. Still went nicely with the wine that had been in the decanter since late this morning. Havenā€™t screwed up a reverse sear maybe ever. Next time. [scratch.gif]

Hearing that 2 min flips from a cold pan is the new reverse sear

I donā€™t follow. Do you mean start with a cold pan and flip every 2 as it heats up to desired temp?
I almost always do the Weber, indirect heat with lump charcoal (then rest to almost cool and sear) and also have had great results in the oven, but I like the flavor of what the Weber does that the oven canā€™t. My temp was correct when I left it, but either the lid wasnā€™t sealed, or the bottom vent wasnā€™t where it should have been and it shot up well past where it should have been. Still one of the best MW steaks Iā€™ve ever had.