A magnificent wine dinner hosted by a member of Bipin Desai's Riverside wine group in Riverside featuring 08 Taittinger Comtes, 3-Boillot CCs, 4-L'Apparitas, 3-1966 Bordeaux and 3- Domaine des Lambray CdL

I was graced with an invite to a wine dinner in Riverside by one whose turn it was to provide the wines for his group.

As it turned out, it was not just another wine dinner nor wine group as it was one of the world’s pre-eminent wine connoisseurs, the legendary Bipin Desai’s local Riverside group, Bipin’s Insider Group aka BIIG. This group has been in existence for over 30 years featuring some of the finest wines on the planet, shared by Bipin and some of his fine, righteously wine passionate friends.

Bipin Desai

Another guest/ friend and I were embraced and welcomed by all. The orchestration of tasting the flights was followed by each of the 9 of us sharing our impressions, insights and profiles for each wine, a format I dearly love and one that affords greater appreciation and understanding about how each wine was perceived and assessed by varying palates.

I found it interesting to see what areas of emphasis others placed on their evaluations which on this night generally included remarks regarding the level of acidity, state of balance, fruit profile, mouthfeel and favorite in the flight.

You get to know someone a little deeper when you hear and feel them express their deep passion and knowledge about anything and I knew I was in the right place and the right time with like minded, like hearted people.

This event was held in a private dining room at Mario’s Place, https://www.mariosplace.com/, a fabulous Italian restaurant and their venue of choice for all dinners located in downtown Riverside across the street from The Mission Inn Hotel & Spa, https://www.missioninn.com/, a historic landmark hotel which is where Roelanda and I stayed.

Mario’s Place

The Mission Inn & Spa

Our fabulous menu consisted of an amuse, 4 courses, a cheese course and a dessert. We were professionally served by one of the restaurants most capable staff members who also did the wine service.

![IMG_4170|308x500, 75%]

We were ideally seated at a spacious round table within the large private dining room that allowed for a table conversation and full participation by all.

photo by Chris Seiber who’s seat was bottom center

We had a starter champagne followed by 4 flights of wines all poured in numbered glasses and finished with a sparkling rose that was a last minute purchase treat by our host. All bottles were opened 15-20 minutes prior to serving.

As we all know, each of us have different palates as well as different parts per million perceptions for various compounds and chemicals even during the same occasion, not to mention the changes that occur with food pairings; so, as always, my notes are just that, what I perceived on this wonderful occasion over the course of the evening as I saved and revisited all but the champagne which I consumed to the last drop:

2008 TAITTINGER COMTES de CHAMPAGNE- I’ve had about 8 bottles of this vintage and was more than delighted to see it was selected for our first wine; the last few bottles had been superlative and much more expressive of the finer nuances while still showcasing its amazing power typical of this vintage; the color was a youthful medium yellow and the aromatics included lemon dominate citrus fruit along with a strong hint of bright acidity; the first taste was smile provoking as honeyed lemon, lime and yellow apple with an accent of mildly toasted brioche graced our palates; it was rich and full bodied and seemed to expand with each taste, finishing long and on an upbeat; amidst all of this, it’s hallmark was its amazing balance; this was the best bottle I’ve had yet and IMHO, one of the best releases amongst this highly regarded vintage.
As an aside, the 2008 represents the 37th release of the Comtes since 1952 and was sourced from 100% Grand Cru vineyards from the Cote de Blancs, especially the best lots from Avize, Chouilly, Cramant, Mesnil, and Oger. The wine is fermented in stainless with only 5% going into oak before it was aged over 10 years on the lees before being released.

With our palates properly prepared, we moved on to the first flight of 3 white Burgundy from the same producer that paired beautifully with the amuse and first course.

First flight of 3 H. Boillot Cortons:

2011 HENRI BOILLOT CORTON-CHARLEMAGNE GRAND CRU- medium yellow color; it had an inviting nose redolent of mineral and honey accented lemon, lime and yellow apple that continued on to be joined by tangerine, honey dew melon and a touch of coconut while being delivered in a creamy, wondrous textured medium all the way to the back end; it had some body, layered depth and nice balance and was my fav of the 3 early on and later on.

2014 HENRI BOILLOT CORTON-CHARLEMAGNE GRAND CRU- as with all 3 wines, it had a medium yellow color; the aromatics included some really nice toasty lemon apple that was joined by a streak of minerals and an accent of coconut once tasted; although it had some weight, it had a much lighter fruit profile than the ’11 and as such, had more elegance and charm; its hallmark was its bight acidity. Initially, there was a note that suggested it was advanced, but the toasty brioche became more pronounced and somewhat dispelled that notion that it was a bit caramelized.

2016 HENRI BOILLOT CORTON-CHARLEMAGNE GRAND CRU- medium yellow color; this offered really nice flint and mineral accented apple and citrus fruit from the nose through the tail while being delivered in a creamy, smooth, feel good texture; it had bright acidity and a hallmark of some subtle power that became more apparent over time as it evolved in the glass.

All 3 showcased the power and finesse I have observed from Corton Charlemagne over many years, in this case, a little power and a little finesse. There was also a common thread of nice acidity, creamy mouthfeel and tasty citrus apple fruit. Loved them all.

Second flight of 4 L’Apparitas:

1987 CASTELLO DI AMA L’APPARITA TOSCANA IGT- 100% Merlot; I’ve heard/ read others state it’s time to open this vintage as there were low temperatures in the spring that delayed flowering by a couple of weeks and the weather during the rest of the year was uneven in these high mountain vineyards; the color suggested it had some age and the nose was redolent of stewed fruit that never blew off nor did the bell pepper notes from the pyrazine compounds; other notes included coffee and dark chocolate in this full bodied and heavily weighted wine that became more Port like after 20-30 minutes.

1990 CASTELLO DI AMA L’APPARITA TOSCANA IGT- after the ’87, this was a nice treat as it gave generously of its treasures; the color was a youthful red purple and the nose included some lovely ripe blueberry and blackberry that was embellished with a hint of mint; it had a soft and smooth texture and layered depth and nice length while maintaining impeccable balance throughout; if this bottle is any indication as to where others are, it has not yet reached its apogee although quite stunning and exceptional now; it was my fav of the flight and one of my favs on the night.

1994 CASTELLO DI AMA L’APPARITA TOSCANA IGT- the color had some red, brown, purple suggesting aging; the aromatics had some earth and mushroom laden black cherry which actually expanded to become more expressed in time along with some nice black currant and blackberry in the taste profile; this bottle needed much more time as it kept changing for the better, but it took 30 minutes or more to become more approachable and the final taste an hour later was like another wine as it had evolved into being much more delicious, showcasing its velvety texture and sporting talc and sandalwood accented dark fruit.

1995 CASTELLO DI AMA L’APPARITA TOSCANA IGT- as with the ’87 and ’94, the color suggested aging, but the nose and taste were replete with more youthful fresh and ripe black currant and blueberry with accents of licorice/ fennel; it had a soft and smooth mouthfeel until it finished with a bit of astringency.

My final thought on this flight was that all probably would have benefitted from at least an hour decant.

Third flight of 3 1966 Bordeaux:

1966 CHATEAU COS d’ESTOURNEL SAINT-ESTEPHE- the color was a surprising unadulterated red purple and the nose offered earth and graphite accented blue plum and wild dark berry notes with a strong hint of bandaid/ barnyard, all of which continued on to be joined by mildly spiced black currant; it was medium bodied with a medium expressed taste profile and finish; some underlying tannins cut into the softness, especially at the end.

1966 CHATEAU DUCRU-BEAUCAILLOU SAINT-JULIEN- the color definitely showed some age with a bit of bricking around its brown, red purple hue; the nose made me take pause to ID whether I was getting some TCA or brett, but after time, it was clearly the 4 ethylphenol brettanomyces compound with its barnyard character; in this group, I can use my favorite descriptor borrowed from childhood memories of theater candy, jujube, with its red cherry/ berry flavors; this had medium body and weight and finished dry.

1996 CHATEAU BEYECHEVELLE SAINT-JULIEN- as with the Cos, the color did not indicate the age being a dark, vibrant red purple; and as with the Cos and the Ducru, this had some brett in the form of the barnyard character that stayed in the background of the medium expressed earthy, tobacco, eucalyptus and leather laden red cherry/ berry fruit; later on, it got raisny and more aged while still being quite enjoyable.

When it came time for me to offer my remarks about this flight, I was the 7th in line and no one had mentioned brett or anything close to it; so, I almost hesitated to share it, but did so with the caveat that I found it in all 3 wines, but never to a detriment or deterrent from enjoying them as it was always subtly in the background.

Fourth flight of 3 Clos des Lambray:

2005 DOMAINE des LAMBRAY CLOS des LAMBRAY GRAND CRU- of the 3, this surprisingly had the darkest, most youthful color with its vibrant, dark red purple; the nose was so intriguing with briary, wild berries being most prevalent; on the palate, some spicy, fresh red cherry and blueberry fruit that also highlighted the finish came in; the operative word for this wine was “lovely” as it was refreshing, tasty, tactile pleasing and exuding classy elegance; I loved it initially and later on, confirming it was my #2 fav of the flight.

2008 DOMAINE des LAMBRAY CLOS des LAMBRAY GRAND CRU- following its medium red purple color comes aromas of applesauce laden red fruit which on the palate translated into red raspberry and red cherry with some black raspberry coming in past mid palate; a nice streak of spice ran through as it improved over time and just kept expanding and yet gaining more finesse and charm with its smooth mouthfeel and soft tannins; my fav of the flight.

2010 DOMAINE des LAMBRAY CLOS des LAMBRAY GRAND CRU- as with the ’08, the color was a medium red purple, but the nose had interesting aromas of jujube, the sweet red cherry of yesteryear’s childhood movie going candy; later on, some blood orange and red raspberry showed up as it also gained in expression of flavors, depth and complexity over time; it was easy on the palate and elegant throughout and finished up this flight admirably, contributing to a consummate experience.

But, we are not through just yet as our gracious host purchased a fitting bubbly to seal the deal:

NV SCHRAMSBERG BRUT ROSE- this delicate sparkling wine served to soften and lighten up our palates; it had a pink, salmon amber color and a nose full of rose petals that gave way to a taste profile of sweetened strawberry, red raspberry and watermelon accented with a touch of saline; it had a frothy, almost cotton candy like mousse and paired beautifully with our strawberry topped dessert.

The gratitude I felt for being invited grew throughout the evening and what a fabulous evening it was. Not only were the wines superb, but the food and service was equally so.

And, as it is with some of my Santa Barbara wine groups, it is also about the fellowship and the shared passion and I met some genuinely fine folks who have that same of level of appreciation along with perhaps a greater depth of knowledge and experience and as always, I learned a whole lot more.

Obviously, there was one who has probably experienced more of the finer wines on the planet than most and I was blessed to have been seated next to Bipin and hear his perceptions on some of the wines as well as discuss a few previous occasions and personalities we had shared in the past.

I continue to count my blessings.

Cheers,
Blake

@Jon_Lawrence @Warren_Taranow @Chris_Seiber @Frank_Murray_III @Steve_Nordhoff @brigcampbell @ToddFrench @Sean_Kennedy @Viet_Ly @AstridKG @Mikael_OB @Andrew_Christiansen @Mike_Grammer @Nick_Christie @dcornutt @Jeremy_Holmes

10 Likes

You are the Global Wineberserkers Ambassador

Great write up.

3 Likes

Blake,

This post made me really happy and not because of the wines, but because you had dinner with Bipin. I met Bipin back in 2010 and attended many of his events over the next 2 years. I have attended a lot of great wine dinners over the years, but to this day Bipin’s remain the best. Glad to see he is still enjoying food and wine and hanging out with you.

4 Likes

Blake?

Great notes as usual, my friend.

I’m curious what the others said after you mentioned the Brett you found in the Bordeaux’s?

Cheers

Larry, the first thing I noticed was some immediately went back to their glasses and I noticed some affirmative nodding; thus, it was non verbal confirmation and we moved on as we did for all flights.

No big deal and as I stated, the wines still expressed lots to enjoy.

1 Like

All your lineups are fun, my friend, but I Love, Love the themes and flights of this evening. So cool. To have such a variety of beautiful themes is the dream.

I adore these notes. Will have to read and ponder a few times. Your crew this evening has my absolute admiration :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m anxiously waiting for @Chris_Seiber . This tasting was in his wheelhouse!

1 Like

Thanks for the write-up, Blake. Reminds me of my tasting group, that with minimal personnel changes, has been together almost 30 years as well.

Just to let you know, your thread title says 1996 Bordeaux, not 1966.

Thanks for the typo alert. Happy for your fond memory restim.

My notes will, unsurprisingly, pale in comparison to Blake’s, but it was too special an evening not to attempt to do my best anyway.

2008 TAITTINGER COMTES de CHAMPAGNE. This had a huge nose of sweet lemon, right out of the gate. Ginger cookie, orange peel, honey, green apple, a real intensity of acids and mineral on a long finish. This was spectacular, jaw-dropping stuff. It seems like heresy to say this was the best wine of the night with the lineup we had, but . . . maybe it was?

2011 HENRI BOILLOT CORTON-CHARLEMAGNE GRAND CRU. This was relatively more the old gentleman’s club Grand Cru White Burg. Some caramel, salted butter, honey, rounder mouthfeel. It was concentrated and intense, with a long powerful finish.

2014 HENRI BOILLOT CORTON-CHARLEMAGNE GRAND CRU. This contrasted significantly with the 2011, in that it was tropical, playful, fresh. More of a citrus and pineapple type profile, white spices, and a long finish. Delicious and so easy to drink.

2016 HENRI BOILLOT CORTON-CHARLEMAGNE GRAND CRU. This was a bit divisive in the early going. Coconut, pineapple, some earth and light funk, some oak still showing. However, when the bouillabaisse arrived, it exploded to life, became much racier and fresh. I’m not sure how much was the time exposed to air and how much was the food, but it felt more like the latter. Anyway, this went from interesting/not sure/maybe awkward to rocking when the food arrived. We’ve all had many wines that showed better once the food paired, but I’m not sure I’ve ever seen such a large immediate turnaround like this before.

1987 CASTELLO DI AMA L’APPARITA. This was heavy plum, caramel, prunes, hazelnuts, starting to brown in color. Drinkable, but just not a bottle that had held up well to tonight. Amazingly, this was the only off bottle of the evening.

1990 CASTELLO DI AMA L’APPARITA. Bright purple berry, light herbal notes, violets, underbrush, and a tannic slightly drying finish. It’s hard to say whether more age would tame the tannins and make a more harmonious wine, or if the wine would dry out from here. My uneducated guess is the latter, and that if you own this wine, better to drink it sooner.

1994 CASTELLO DI AMA L’APPARITA TOSCANA. A little redder of a berry profile than the 1990, a little more tart and fresh, cherry skin, boysenberry, sage, earth. This improved with air, but I also think this is probably later in its prime drinking window and one to serve in the next few years.

1995 CASTELLO DI AMA L’APPARITA TOSCANA. Similar to the 1994, more of a tart fruit profile with licorice, chalk, and an astringent drying finish.

1966 CHATEAU COS D’ESTOURNEL. Amazing nose, flirting with perfection. Sweet tobacco, spicy red fruit, cedar, Asian spices. It doesn’t speak loudly, but everything is in perfect balance and harmony, feeling like it was made with a very gentle hand. It appears that the 1966 vintage style was very red fruited and on the lighter side of that, something not so common to find in Bordeaux. And/or maybe it was the age. Anyway, that was a common thread to the look and taste of all three 1966s.

1966 CHATEAU DUCRU-BEAUCAILLOU. Intense tart red cherry, herb, a bit of tobacco. Quite fresh and delicious, though less complex than the other two wines.

1996 CHATEAU BEYECHEVELLE. This had a bit sweeter red cherry fruit and a pronounced cinnamon dimension. Sweet orange, brown sugar, sweet tobacco. Lovely wine.

2005 CLOS des LAMBRAY. Very showy and ripe, sweet red cherry, light spice, violets, cool minerals. This started out big, then gradually settled into increasing balance. Easy to enjoy.

2008 CLOS des LAMBRAY. It was interesting, this is from a less heralded vintage, and it speaks more quietly than the others, but it seemed to have more Burgundy typicity and a more cerebral nature, maybe as a result? More complex, with a notable herbal layer, more spice, rose petals. It’s possible one or both of the other two will end up the better wine, but this was the most complete one for drinking that night. I was going to call this one an upset winner, but by the time the comments got around to me, several others had already reached the same conclusion.

2010 CLOS des LAMBRAY. Another big one, very tasty and showy. Sweet strawberry, cinnamon, baking spices, mineral, sweet orange. More obvious pleasures than the 2008, but maybe the obviousness has its pros and cons.

The generosity and thoughtfulness of our host was amazing, and he had done a great job sourcing the older ones from people like Greg Kozlowski who have an eye for good collections and good provenance. So it was just one high after another.

2 Likes

Blake and Bipin connecting

1 Like

A hint of it was there, but not in any way I think anyone would have considered a drawback, and probably not something most people would have thought to single out.

I wouldn’t say the 1966s tasted young, but they didn’t have that “very old cabernet/claret” thing either. Not musty, or old grandparents’ house / old furniture thing, or a lot of brown sugar on the finish (not that I mind that kind of very old wine either, myself, but that just wasn’t how these wines showed).

Maybe the tart red fruit of that vintage sustained the freshness of these wines longer than other clarets of that age? Purely speculation on my part, based on a small sample size.

Thank you for the great in depth write up. Very enjoyable reading as I did background checks on the various wines you had. Sounds like a fabulous evening.

1 Like

It is so awesome that you both got to spend time with a legend this way. And counselor—your notes are a great counterpoint to Blake’s usual eloquence. Thank you both.

Very briefly,

As you remember, Blake, from our dinner in 2022, the 08 CDC was my WOTN among a lot of fine competition.

I’ve had the 11 Boillot CC once and a couple other 11s of his—he hit it out of the park in this vintage. 14s…I may love 17 whites more, but if so it would only be by a very little bit.

I had the 08 Lambrays twice in close succession. One bottle was awesome, the other was ordinary.

Again, thanks for all these notes.

Slainte,

Mike

2 Likes

Yeah. Duh. I had the 11 CC with you at that dinner as well! :slight_smile:

My notes:

Last of the white burgs presents an immediate sweet peas element in the bouquet, nice use of wood. Starts out demure but actually tightens up some for me in the glass. Silvery feel with wonderful length and precision, with lime and minerals. The 2011 Henri Boillot CC ended up as my # 3. It’s excellent

2 Likes

Makes sense that @Mike_Grammer and @Blake_Brown would know each other.

You two and @Frank_Murray_III are my spirit animals in wine and life. Dave Rosenberg (the host of this tasting) is in there as well.

1 Like

And now I have more to add to my blessings count.

:pray:

This spirit animal was born in 1965. Them Bordeaux are damn near as old. Wow.

2 Likes

Thnx for posting . Sounds like a wonderful event. Well done.

I have a friend who is a 1966 baby and read the Bdx notes with great interest.

Thnx again
Brodie

1 Like

I met Dave at a BYO dinner during one of the Bipin weekend events in LA. We had a lot of fun, really nice guy. He poured me my first ever taste of '90 Cheval Blanc from a case that he had bought on release. As you can imagine, it was spectacular.

2 Likes