Which Champagne are you drinking?

I’m already through ‘12 but definitely holding on to some ‘13s and ‘14s to see how they go. A recent ‘14 was very good and noticeable improvement over previous bottles, so I personally think there’s upside.

3 Likes

Festive for Easter but should have gone with my initial plan for Krug GC. Pierre Baillette Bulles Roses 100% PN 2018. Dis Dec 21. Very Marguet nose, similar but more Welch’s on the palate. C Heidsieck Rose Special Edition 2006 base, dis. 19; loved this in the past, seems like it is going downhill lost the tannic quality, and turning slightly sour (two bottles, one had a vinegar edge). Unless the CH has a rebound seems like time is running out on this one.

3 Likes

Thanks, fingers crossed. I had a 2004 Taittinger a while back that was dreamy, not what I expected, hoping for similar on the vintage Roederer.

With our ham for Easter dinner. Perfect match.

2 Likes

because they are factory etched to increase bead.

Extracted from a thread just posted re a magnificent dinner in Riverside with Bipin Desai and his dinner group.

2008 TAITTINGER COMTES de CHAMPAGNE- I’ve had about 8 bottles of this vintage and was more than delighted to see it was selected for our first wine; the last few bottles had been superlative and much more expressive of the finer nuances while still showcasing its amazing power typical of this vintage; the color was a youthful medium yellow and the aromatics included lemon dominate citrus fruit along with a strong hint of bright acidity; the first taste was smile provoking as honeyed lemon, lime and yellow apple with an accent of mildly toasted brioche graced our palates; it was rich and full bodied and seemed to expand with each taste, finishing long and on an upbeat; amidst all of this, it’s hallmark was its amazing balance; this was the best bottle I’ve had yet and IMHO, one of the best releases amongst this highly regarded vintage.
As an aside, the 2008 represents the 37th release of the Comtes since 1952 and was sourced from 100% Grand Cru vineyards from the Cote de Blancs, especially the best lots from Avize, Chouilly, Cramant, Mesnil, and Oger. The wine is fermented in stainless with only 5% going into oak before it was aged over 10 years on the lees before being released.

Cheers,
Blake

@Jon_Lawrence @Warren_Taranow

6 Likes

Glad to hear it just keeps getting better.

I’ve yet to open one of mine. 2008 is a late bloomer vintage.

Incredible restraint. I killed a six pack. It was embarrassing how quickly. Just could not keep my hands off of them. They’re so incredibly delicious. I think Blake is right in that it’s one of the best of the 2008s.

Restraint is not an asset I’d ascribe to myself. :laughing:

All wines showed well. Platine over Bereche in the early going. 12 Taittinger CdC polished showing nice depth, honeyed notes after plenty of air. 14 Vilmart CdC dynamic in contrast, a friend likened to kayaking down rapids vs the Taittingers balance. Both excellent.

6 Likes

Extracted from a Vancouver Island Travelogue thread:

2006 Taittinger Comtes BdB hasn’t changed that much since release. It’s still a sultry beast. It’s not showing much tertiary character, but perhaps becoming more subdued in a good way. It still opens with a little reduction, but glides more quickly and gracefully into that creamy dense Chardonnay-orchard fruit-citrus-brioche waltz it’s shown since release.

2009 Cristal was a big wine but demure. Orange and lemon cream, orchard fruit, red berries and patisserie. Always a treat in this vintage.

Egly-Ouriet VP from the July ‘19 disgorgement was stunning. Intense, and both zesty and creamy. Blood orange and other citrus. Rich and complex, the 82 months on the lees and the perfect oak treatment hit the mark. Intensely textured mouthfeel. I love everything about this wine.

We didn’t finish a half bottle of Pierre Paillard Les Parcelles Extra Brut. Lactic, with sour milk on the nose and palate.

2012 Larmandier-Bernier VV du Levant. I had thought I’d grabbed a 2011. Youthful and boisterous. Lemon cream, almond, apple, brioche. At the moment, this is lacking a little grace, so I’ll give my remaining bottles some time on their side.

Krug GC 164 had the dense ginger I always find in this cuvée. Gingerbread, pomelo, honey, almonds, hazelnut and more. A great rendition, just starting to show the Krug magic, this wine is nice presently, with a great future ahead.

5 Likes

You might want to try the 2008 Comtes Warren- just saying.

1 Like

We went to a friend’s housewarming party last night:

1989 Philipponnat Clos des Goisses (magnum) - Very intense, almost to the point of being shrill. I think I’m moving away from liking this style of Champagne.
2013 Dom Perignon - Clean and crisp, but very well defined. Not a lot of extraneous flavors, just pure fruit. Almost painfully intense.
2013 Marie Courtin Effloresence - Very inviting, more red-fruited, perhaps slightly lower carbonation. I liked this a lot. Certainly preferred it to the other two.

4 Likes

Nice! Haven’t had the 13 Eff in a while, still have one. Any oxidation? The 14 Eff is one of my all time favorite Champagnes.

1 Like

Do you think serving temperature or (not enough) air exposure had anything to do with this, or is this just the way this wine is? (sounds like I’d love it because I do favor this style)

I don’t know if I’ve had the 1989 before. I’ve had lots of Clos des Goisses (mainly 96) only because I have a friend who likes it. All of them have shared incredible intensity and a more oxidative style. This was “cleaner” than some of the 96s I’ve had, but more intense, almost painfully intense. Frankly, I’m not sure when this gets to the point of being really enjoyable to drink, rather than a flavorful and very intense curiosity. I could see where the Dom was going with time, but I really struggled with the Clos des Goisses.

@Frank_Murray_III - No oxidation that I noticed. It was definitely more mature than the other two bottles, but in an integrated and at its peak kind of way. We had a long drive home, so I only got a small glass of this, but I would have loved to have given the full “Murray Treatment”, and followed it over several hours.

I wanted to die after drinking a current release CdG.

It made my jaw hurt all night.

Thank you, Rick. It’s a preference to be able to track a bottle over several small pours, aeration and time.

I hope I will be forgiven for adding here from the cheap seats a Blanc de Noir from the Etna DOC which I have rather enjoyed this evening and feel is on a par with many entry level champagnes (unlike the same producer’s BdB which really didn’t work for me).

• NV Firriato Etna Gaudensius Blanc de Noir - Italy, Sicily, Etna DOC (04/04/2024)
    4 years on from my last TN, and I feel I was a bit niggardly in my earlier appraisal.

This bottle from lot L122181, which perhaps means bottled in 12/2021, is rather nice indeed.

After a little air, the nose offers slightly sharp fruit (somewhere between lemon and gooseberry!). The palate is crisp, citrus, a tiny hint of brioche, and finishing moderately long with clean flavours of tart red fruit.

Overall this a a very nice bottle of fizz - definitely on a par with many house champagnes, and great value for parties or just general enjoyment at ~US$19. (89 points)
1 Like