A kinder, gentler Barolo/Barbaresco?

I’ve had quite a lot of Ar. Pe. Pe… have visitors and walked the vineyards.

Their quality pyramid holds consistently in that they’re all good and the Rosso<Superiore<Riserva.

I made some comments upthread. But yes get the Superiore over the Rosso for $10-15 more. The Riservas at $90+ are a step up again and the best of what they do.

1 Like

I should also add… there are a lot of good producers in Valtellina. Arpepe get all the love, and deservedly so, but there are many more great options.

1 Like

Any opinions on Balgera? (speaking of other Valtellina producers)

How does it compare to ArPePe?

Clayton,

I have seen your comments. Thank you. I was looking for further opinions, but it is very cool that you have been there. I’d enjoy hearing about other Valtellina producers too. I have a bit of Pizzo Coca. Have you heard of them?

You are aware of the search function, aren’t you?

1 Like

Wonderfully.

1 Like

Please re-read the first sentence of this thread. If you’re bothered, don’t participate.

4 Likes

Chris, you might take a test drive of the basic entry level Michele Reverdito Barolo (<$40). He also makes various Cru Barolo that are in a more forward, approachable style too, I believe.
FWIW

1 Like

That’s funny. I drank a 2013 Rabaja back in 2020 that was similar.

1 Like

Thing is, your post is not helpful in any way. You’re just trying to scold him for not searching.

Trying to police people on the internet is a lost cause. If you don’t want to participate productively in the thread, best just not to comment.

4 Likes

Indeed, and I’ve enjoyed the conversation on this thread. I would have missed out on that had Chris not posted his thoughts and request.

4 Likes

Actually, I use the search function on a daily basis and undoubtably everyone knows how to use it, so I failed to see it as a genuine suggestion. There are always new thoughts, new ideas, new information, and new participants on any given wine thread that are supplemental to past threads.

I really don’t see an issue in starting similar threads with a certain frequency. Even though a lot of good information can be found from searching, people with interesting input might have missed those for one reason or another.

I mean it is a place for discussion… even if we just repeat ourself, then that is very human nature when it comes to discussions😁

7 Likes

I am just adressing that many Baroli from e.g. 2001 are just beginning to get ready now. I regret drinking to many of them too soon

2 Likes

I guess you missed that emoji after my comment, signifying it was written in jest.

You see, the joke is that even though the wine is 100% Nebbiolo, it is not labeled as Langhe Nebbiolo, but Langhe Rosso. Your picture only emphasized this point.

1 Like

Do you like it better than Produttori’s Barbaresco , which is roughly the same price point.

The question was not for me, but I’m still answering.

They are similarly priced, roughly, and I myself find it hard telling which one of them is better. At the moment they are more or less on par, but I’d say PdB 2013 holds more promise than this Roagna and OTOH that Roagna is more accessible for immediate consumption. They are two equally great wines for different purposes - with the caveat that the 2013 Produttori is more likely to offer more pleasure for me with further aging.

However, that Roagna Langhe Rosso is not technically a Langhe Nebbiolo nor is it in any way typical of Langhe Nebbiolos. It is one order of magnitude better than an average Langhe Nebbiolo and also quite a bit better than most of the great Langhe Nebbiolos. If all Langhe Nebbiolos were built like Roagna Rosso, I’d have no problems whatsoever with the genre.

1 Like

This thread has started my buying itch to return- but since I don’t drink daily anymore, don’t need daily drinkers and have plenty of well aged Barolo and Barbaresco.

Still good to know for my travels to Italy and for gifting.

As I’m sure you’re already aware, there’s plenty more there to excite beyond the wines, with some wonderful walking directly through these wonderful vineyards, some of the best food in a country that does great food so widely, historic buildings aplenty, etc. etc.

The TV may be sh!t (L’Eridità an honourable exception IMO, as it can be a good language tool), but that only serves to encourage us to get out and enjoy the place.

We’ve also become fans of the wider Piemonte, including places like Cuneo, Torino and Bubbio, that are less wine focused, and whilst wine is always there in the background, it can take a back seat as well.

1 Like

Labeling aside, RLR is from Langhe and is Nebbiolo. The topic is kinder gentler Barolo/Barbaresco, so one could say that RLR is the most precise answer because it is kinder and gentler, from Barolo and Barbaresco. And it is among if not the ‘best’ Langhe Nebbiolo, because it is one! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: