WineBid Shipping Errors (Major?) (Edit: Not Major)

Would buy another few cases but shipping to MN is getting dicey.

FIFY

3 Likes

Well, I finally heard back on the storage fees and those are going to be refunded. Will I buy from WineBid again? I probably will, but was not buying much on the last year or so anyways. Maybe only on deep searches for very specific things.

Thanks to everyone that commented with advice and feedback, it was helpful and interesting to see the different perspectives.

3 Likes

:+1:

1 Like

Just so everyone that has read this knows the final outcome. WineBid DID eventually get my wines back but immediately put them back into auction and did not ask if Iā€™d like my wines back first (which I would have). I ended up speaking to someone slightly higher up in customer service and he said there was nothing they could do (or cared to even try doing). Well, that about ends my purchasing through them from now on. The main wines in that ā€œlostā€ case of value all went for higher amounts than my hammer priceā€¦rediculous. I just want everyone to know who winebid puts first when it comes to their customers, themselves. Jerks!

6 Likes

Lending more support to the suggestion that GSN is not at all independent of WineBid and is merely an alter ego. A separate shipping company would have gotten your wines back to you if they had received them back.

5 Likes

Not great on their part.

As with any operation we will have some that love them and some that hate them. I have had nothing but praise for them and shipping is always ground and seems like 2 for me.

Well good for you @John_Glas but personally I would not do business again with someone who screwed meā€¦have to stand for something in this lifeā€¦

4 Likes

Thatā€™s insane.

I cannot see how that jibes with their language on cancelling an order or bid.

No. Unlike a retail website, WineBid provides a platform where individual collectors can consign their rare and fine wines. You are purchasing these wines directly from private collectors by using our service. In order to protect the integrity of the auction, bids cannot be canceled and all sales are final.

2 Likes

WineBid was legally right. But morally wrong. (they had already refunded Tom, so they owed him nothing ā€“ from a legal perspective ā€“ once the wines were subsequently found).

4 Likes

Ah sorry, I missed that he was refunded in whole. Very slimy though.

@Brian_G_r_a_f_s_t_r_o_m is right, they are just dickheads at this point.

1 Like

What did you not get on my line not great on their part. I had an issue with Envoyer and will never do anything again with them.

2 Likes

incredibly slimy. Ultimately, they profited off their own fuckup, and their customer is left with nothing, other than a headache.

3 Likes

And I doubt the seller(s) got a check for the difference.

3 Likes

Probably not. Why? (1). Because once WineBid reimbursed Tom, they legally owned the wine, and (2). that would be the morally right thing to do, and itā€™s blatantly obvious WineBid isnā€™t really into that.

Do they mention the road trip they went on in the provenance?

4 Likes

Beating odds are no. I will send you a bottle of Veuve Clicquot if they did!

I have a cute little orange bottle koozie thatā€™ll go perfect on it. :slight_smile:

Well, no. They paid to ship the wine to the wrong customer and back. I doubt a marginally increased margin on the hammer price covered that.

But, they were absolutely ethically obliged to ask Tom if he still wanted the wine. Proper customer service would be to offer free shipping or something. Make the best effort to make things right. Instead, they added insult to injury.

So, why? Indifference? Incompetence? Misplaced childishness?