WineBid Shipping Errors (Major?) (Edit: Not Major)

Wes
I was curious as well. I know they refunded Tom, but Tom told them all along that he wanted the wine, not the money back

It would have been common courtesy to reach out to Tom, ship him the wine and recharge him with his authorization to do so. However, maybe the refund severed all follow ups in their system so someone would have had to manually note to contact Tom, if and when the shipment was returned. That presents a bit of a challenge. Maybe the best option would have been to hold off a bit longer on the refund request to see if the bottles would turn up although Winebid did not seem in a hurry to expedite tracking

How much more did the wines hammer for the second time around?

Also, this logic doesnā€™t work. If you buy a wine a year prior that has gone up significantly, WineBid/GSN can just refund you, sell the wine and collect the difference?

1 Like

Tom before I had accepted that wine I would have wanted a decent explanation about what had happened and where the wine had been. Maybe better for all to just do a full reset although I think it is a pretty serious mistake to leave a good, paying customer POed like this.

No, of course not. Iā€™m not sure how you took that from what I said.

Gotta say, itā€™s disappointing that winebid didnā€™t recover the OPā€™s wines and complete his original purchase.

Heā€™s saying hypothetically, WineBid could ā€œloseā€ some bottles in their GSN warehouse, inform the buyer and refund their costs, ā€œfindā€ them, and then sell them at the increased value.

2 Likes

And whatā€™s stopping them from refunding at will?

2 Likes

Thereā€™s a contract. The buyer has the right to the wine they agreed to sell him (or already sold him and are holding on his behalf for a fee).

2 Likes

Sorry to hear this. Definitely leaves a bad taste.

What Jordan said.

Youā€™re making-up a completely different situation than what occurred here.

Also, it doesnā€™t seem like an efficient or sustainable business strategy to actively cherry-pick auctions to cancel and refund on a regular basis in order to capture a sliver of margin.

1 Like

Yeah, this is 100% not happening and with respect to what did happen, itā€™s almost certainly a screwup and not a scheme to net WineBid a few more bucks.

2 Likes

I certainly know of retailers that have done just that with futures contracts. It wasnā€™t too often, but definitively has happened.

Sure, fraud happens (and Iā€™m not at all saying WineBid is engaging in fraud here!). Itā€™s just not a sustainable, active business model, even in crypto. Iā€™m guessing itā€™s easier to pull that kind of active ā€œmanagementā€ (fraud) of the process off in futures - thereā€™s no promised delivery date, and the retailer gets the full difference in price + the carry on $$ over 1-2 years - refund costs, while in an auction, the house is only getting 18% of the difference in price (and also takes the risk that the second auction wonā€™t sell) - refund and relisting costs.

I may have a new business model hereā€¦ :slight_smile:

2 Likes

May I interest you in some light evening reading? 7k posts worth.

1 Like

Correct Joshua. Proven to be an unsustainable business model

1 Like

Alan

I think that may have been an option at some point but it looked as if the process was going to drag on for quite a while and Wine Bid did not have a specific game plan or time line to communicate to Tom. Donā€™t recall if Tom pressed for immediate action and that was what triggered the refund. Sometimes we get what we ask for, but donā€™t get what we need

1 Like

Ha!

Yeah, Iā€™m just surprised that they werenā€™t on top of this better. I can understand a mistake that cascades, and ends up with wines shipped to the wrong recipients, stuff happens. I can understand it taking some time to resolve. What I donā€™t understand is when they get the wines back, how they werenā€™t the shipped to the correct buyers. Itā€™s not like thereā€™s confusion over which bottles belong to whom - every bottle is labeled with a unique tag allowing it to be easily matched to an auction, and the winner of that auction.

To be clear, Iā€™m a happy winebid buyer and seller, have never had a serious issue, have had a small number of minor hiccups resolved quickly and positively. Plus I have the luxury of picking up and dropping off at their facility, so no risk of shipping errors. There are some newer people whose names I donā€™t recognize, maybe there is just some building of experience going on.