Wine Writer Tries Screaming Eagle

Washington Post wine columnist Dave McIntyre definitely writes for the general audience, but I look forward to his column each week. Nothing revelatory here, but a fun read.

nice story. also nice to hear that they made such a solid wine in '11

Last summer, I had a friend who wanted to do the exact same thing but instead of a Virginia wine, a group of us tasted nine high-end Cabs blind. While almost everyone had the Screaming Eagle near the top, everyone had others (at lower price points) rated as high if not higher. Which didn’t surprise us. In my case - Phelps Insignia, Araujo Eisele and a Colgin. By far the best tasting night I have been part of and fun to say I have had a Screaming Eagle.

ROLFL with this:

“I’m not hallucinating. This is really good cabernet,” my friend said. “But if you put it next to a good-year Opus One or Silver Oak” — two famous Napa cabs that are much less expensive, though by no means cheap — “I’d have trouble telling them apart.”

deadhorse

Wonder how the Caymus 40th would have stacked up.

Nice. Thanks for linking

I get it but really a bottle of Opus One or Sliver Oak from a good year?

And if they want to stack it up to a bottle of Opus One or Sliver Oak from a good year does the Screaming Eagle get to do the same. What a PUTZ!

If I bring a Screagle and you bring a wine from Virginia, our friendship is on the ropes. It may be fine, but wtf man, step up to the plate.

I haven’t tried the RDV Cab, but I did try a bottle of their “Friends and Family” red blend that a friend gave me for Christmas. I appreciated the gift, but have to say it was one of the least pleasant wines I have ever had. I “accessed” a glass of it using my Coravin and haven’t touched it since. It will probably end up in pasta sauce.

Seriously, how is that guy a wine writer? He is just embarassing himself.

He seems perhaps more a ‘lifestyle’ writer, but note that the comparison quoted is in fact a quote from his friend.

“I’m not hallucinating. This is really good cabernet,” my friend said. “But if you put it next to a good-year Opus One or Silver Oak” — two famous Napa cabs that are much less expensive, though by no means cheap — “I’d have trouble telling them apart.”

[quote
JohnWoo wrote:

mstockley wrote:

Dave H. wrote:Washington Post wine columnist Dave McIntyre definitely writes for the general audience, but I look forward to his column each week. Nothing revelatory here, but a fun read.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle … story.html

ROLFL with this:

deadhorse

Wonder how the Caymus 40th would have stacked up.

Seriously, how is that guy a wine writer? He is just embarassing himself.

He seems perhaps more a ‘lifestyle’ writer, but note that the comparison quoted is in fact a quote from his friend.][/quote]
The newspapers don’t pay anything for these writers so if you say you like wine you got the job. We have a writer in Minneapolis that is better but his picks under $20 (which seems to be the bulk of them) seem like a way to get a newer producer noticed.

I’ve had the RdV 2009 Lost Mountain twice now and for me its a good wine that needs a lot more time to show its best. And yes, I did taste it blind against a Camus, the 2009’Camus SS and the 2009 Lynch-Bages and I had it best of the three.

We are getting quite chippy now-a-days. Yes, this was more of a lifestyle article instead of a wine expose, but it was interesting and likely extra interesting for those who have not had Screaming Eagle. Also, the tie-in with the fact that the friend was in his own way toasting to his father made for a nice read. I agree with David H in his OP: nothing revelatory but a fun read. Thank you for posting it.

I would not say chippy. Just strongly disagreeing with their thoughts. It has been a long time since I have had Screaming Eagle it was though from the 02’ vintage and to say 02’ Opus one or 02’ Sliver Oak would compare at all is nut’s neener . Or even this other wine that was brought to the dinner.

When you call someone a PUTZ! because you happen to disagree with them, you’re definitely veering into “chippy” territory.

The Opus One is actually a pretty good wine, especially with some age on it. It took a hit early on because it was flashy and high-priced, but it has great terroir. Admittedly they seemed to go a bit oak-heavy at times, but the ones I’ve had are much more balanced and nuance wines than say Harlan and Bryant.

The writer DID NOT COMPARE OPUS OR SO TO SCREAGLE. That was his friend. A civilian. He’s entitled to his opinion even if he is mistaken in your view.

I will have to look back but I don’t think I said the writer compaired the other wines to Screaming Eagle.
C’mon Putz is being chippy. I could have said something else and I would agree with you.