Wine impressions 6-19-22

Wine impressions 6-19-22

1999 Chave, Hermitage Rouge - power, finesse, terroir, typicite, endless complexity and that dimension in a wine that lets you know, you will rarely travel this way again. At 23, god wine.
The last bottle of 6 bought on release - and the best, by far.
Oh my!

2014 Idlewild, Grenache Gris - probably my fiftieth or so bottle of this wine and, as usual, the best of all of them. The longer it ages, the better it gets. One of those wines that changed the way I look at wine; light is not necessarily less, to over-simplify. Lovely fruit, good grip, deeper than one expects of Gris and length.

2018 Vincent, Pinot Noir Ribbon Ridge - it is another elegant yet fully flavored wine with depth and sustain. Yet it leaves spaces where the food fills in. The Count Basie of Pinot - it acts as punctuation for the meal. And this may be the highest compliment I can give a wine: if you make my meal better, you’ll be invited back.

2020 Louis Michel, Chablis - my last bottle showed some reduction but this one shows none; I believe this wine is past its initial grumpy stage. Certainly, this bottle was. Pretty wine and there is no doubt where it comes from. Diane took one sniff and, without seeing the bottle, called it. “Typicite” - Louis Michel gets it.

2019 Dirty & Rowdy, Chenin Blanc Brosseau Vnyd. - skin-fermented and still showing some of the phenolics in the nose but less primary and more intricate in the mouth. Reminds me of the orange Chenin from Folk Machine of a few years ago. Presently, I’d call it interesting but the structure indicates longevity so . . . let’s see where it goes.

2020 Extradimensional Wine Co., Mourvèdre Evangelho Vnyd. - of all the great red wines made in CA, an Evangelho Mourvèdre made by Hardy Wallace is the one I enjoy most. The vineyard gives soulful fruit every time but Hardy makes it dance. Lively, complex, deep, pure, weightless, fruit-filled and long. Whether a D&R or Extra-D, this is what CA red wine should taste like.

2018 Louis Michel, Chablis Montee de Tonnerre - showing young and somewhat unformed but of its place and with premier cru density. Power and terroir without finesse - yet. Much to come.

2000 Carrudes de Lafite - integrated, complex and of whole cloth but like somebody turned the volume down. Not past peak but just a small peak.

Best, Jim

2 Likes

Love your notes Jim and would be happy to drink your selections. I have that Chave as a single bottle and will look forward to it. I’m hooked on Louis Michel and wished more of it would land on Oahu. And D & R? Well, D&R. Sadly, diminishing the stockpile.

1 Like

Here here! Well said. Every EWCY bottle I have had has been outstanding and while I dont want to force comparisons, I really have enjoyed them more than their DnR counterparts. Feels like Hardy is really hitting his stride and just crankin out some incredible juice

2 Likes

Thank you, Jim. I opened a 2014 D&R Evangelho on Sat night - you were on my mind.

Thank you- Ty and Mark!

I saw the pic.
I think that was my first taste of Evangelho and it blew me away.

1 Like